RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

prest_one

Oct 9, 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Pilgrimage
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anybody else seen this movie? Its a little old and im sure a lot of you have, but i just wanted to tell those of you who havent to go out and buy it. Its a really good bouldering film starring Chris Sharma that not only shows some great bouldering but also digs deep into the mind of Sharma.

fiend

Oct 9, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pilgrimage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Katie Brown and Nate Gold are also in it... I found Katie's segments more interesting than Sharm's.

musicman

Oct 9, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Katie Brown and Nate Gold are also in it... I found Katie's segments more interesting than Sharm's.

i think her segment was awesome, it was a great movie though. In all honesty, i don't think i could watch it straight through more than once or twice because it is a little long, especially for bouldering. but i think its an amazing film none the less

fiend

Oct 9, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've watched it a few times... earlier this summer I was watching it quite frequently actually. Not always all the way through though.

Generally I skip the move-that-sharma-can't-stick section.

treesail

Oct 9, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spoiled SoCal neo-hippies trying to convince us they're rock saddhus in Hampi. I loved it. & Katie Brown is friggin beautiful.

the_alpine

Oct 9, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Incredible footage of an amazing place. The gobs of monologue took away from the flick I thought.

roughster

Oct 9, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Incredible footage of an amazing place. The gobs of monologue took away from the flick I thought.

That's because it all about the emotion alpine, the emotion!!!! Dude, did you hear me say it was about the emotion!?????

I found it to be little more than a hero-worshipping piece. For strong climbing, I respect Chris. For words of wisdom, I'll look elsewhere. Human interest stories are great if that is the focus, but in a climbing video, I think few are really looking for that, well except others out there who identify with that hero worshipping kind of thing I guess..

The only thing that would have made it better was all 5'4" of Ivan saying, "YO, Yo! Dude, Yo!" a hundred times, quickly followed by a piece about Obie where he screams, "COME ON OBIEEEEEE!!!!!!"

So close to a masterpiece... :lol:

fiend

Oct 9, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd disagree that it was a hero-worshiping piece.

Granted, it wasn't a fast paced Rampage style flick, but it was never meant to be. I think it did a good job of showing that a bouldering video can be about more than just fast action aimed at the MTV generation.

While Sharma's words of wisdom may have been slightly less than that (as mentioned, the kid climbs sick hard, but a guru he's not), I did get a lot out of hearing Katie's story. I found it interesting that she just dropped out of the climbing scene and enjoyed hearing about her return and struggle to find a balance with it.

I also liked that they showed Biggie getting scared on higher problems (and on problems that didn't look so bad from my couch). I often get scared while bouldering and most videos show climbers pulling through scary moves without breaking a sweat. It's nice to see that even those climbing at higher levels have normal reactions to some situations.

The three climbers all echoed thoughts and feelings that I've had during my time climbing and I think it's unfair to label it as hero-worship just because it has Sharma in it. I know it's fashionable to slag someone because they're good but maybe Sharma deserves to be the focal point of this movie. He's a damn good climber and those I know who have met him say he's a great guy as well.

I saw this in a theatre for one of the premier showings and it was amazing to see how many non-climbers were in the audience. Something I heard quite frequently in the lobby after the show was how impressed the non-climbers were. It's rare that something can portray a fringe sport like climbing in a realistic fashion yet still captivate a non-climbing audience for an hour.

I say props to Josh Lowell for doing something a little bit different.

caughtinside

Oct 9, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
shows some great bouldering but also digs deep into the mind of Sharma.

Deep into the mind of sharma? :lol:

Good one, dude!

Definitely too slow for my taste. The scenery was beautiful, but I couldn't make it through the whole thing.

prest_one

Oct 10, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Deep into the mind of sharma? :lol:Good one, dude!

Yep i said deep into the mind of Sharma. Im not one of those people that worships a certain climber and i still dont, so i dont watch and read everything that i can about every climber thats hot at this current moment. The video simply showed me what Sharma thinks about when he climbs, and thats something i would of never have known had i not watched the video.

grin-n-barrett
Deleted

Oct 18, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #11 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably one of the best flix out there

shiva523

Oct 18, 2004, 5:10 AM
Post #12 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good flick. A friend of mine bought it for me for my 18th birthday. The segments were slow, but the bouldering was good. I especially enjoyed Katie Brown's segments. Anyone know of any other good Sharma/Brown flicks?

dynoguy

Oct 18, 2004, 5:39 AM
Post #13 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely the best bouldering video i've seen, and i've seen alot

goodwholesomeboy

Nov 4, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wasn't a big fan of pilgrimage. they made a big deal about the spirituality of the place and made it seem like it was the holy land. they also showed nate working on a dyno way too long.

sidepull

Nov 4, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to the premier in SLC and my palms were sweating the entire time. Plus, afterword, the audience had a Q&A with Chris and I was amazed at both his sincerity and maturity. Sure, some of the stuff in the movie isn't so eloquent, but the way he approaches life in general is and I think that makes his climbing all the more meaningful.

t-dog
Deleted

Nov 4, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, considering Josh Lowell seems to be madly in love with Sharma, this movie wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Did anybody else notice the rock didn't look anywhere close to fun to climb on? We've got a bouldering area down here in SD called Santee that's got many of the same characteritics (little edges, very little to no friction, not very steep) and all my friends from down here laughed when we saw the boulders in that vid!!! They made a movie out of climbing on boulders like that?!?!?! sure.....

kevanrobitaille

Nov 7, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sharmas got interesting words of advice from what Ive heard. Untill recently I had only "heard" words by him...or any pro climber at that in magazines. on www.norope.com theres an interview with him. He was a bit...spaced out.

halepierce

Nov 7, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #18 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We've got a bouldering area down here in SD called Santee that's got many of the same characteritics (little edges, very little to no friction, not very steep) and all my friends from down here laughed when we saw the boulders in that vid!!! They made a movie out of climbing on boulders like that?!?!?! sure.....

The only similarity between climbing in Hampi and climbing in Santee is the size of the holds. Every other comparison between the two (i.e. quality and quantity of lines, variety, difficulty, etc.) leave Santee in the dust.

pjay

Nov 11, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #19 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved the video. And I own it too. It's not fsat paced at all and I don't think that's what it's meant to be. It digs down more into the zen/raw emotion side of things. It's great. It puts me in a good mood to climb.

Partner oldsalt

Nov 11, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #20 of 20 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Its a really good bouldering film starring Chris Sharma that not only shows some great bouldering but also digs deep into the mind of Sharma.

Maybe it's just me, but when did Sharma become the Messiah? If every climber on earth lost the urge to touch rock, except me, I would still climb. I don't do it for zen, for attention, or for getting my picture in a mag or vid. I do it for me and my own delight with the rock, the solitude, and my own private reasons. Don't look for any pieces on the inner oldsalt; there just isn't that much in there to find.

Years ago, I loved to watch surf films of Nat Young thrashing fast sections on a short board. I met Nat at Makaha in 1969 and we talked designs with apparent respect for each other. I had no interest in knowing his views on Karma or anything else except technical aspects of shaping short boards. That was just me.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook