RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

kinz

Oct 12, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

yoga vs. pilates
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have been dabbling a bit in yoga, pilates, and qi qong over the last few weeks as a means of improving my strength and over all flow on the rock. i was wondering about other's experiences with any of these, or anything else for that matter. was there marked improvement? should i focus on one things, or try to integrate the better aspects of each? any feedback would be great.

paulv7

Oct 12, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Re: yoga vs. pilates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Kinz,

I have been taking yoga for about 5 months now. At least once a week every week. I have always been pretty flexible, but I have improved. The nice thing is in yoga class I find the places I'm not as flexible and know what I need to work on. Like my left hip cannot open as much as my right and my right hamstring is usually tighter than my left. Plus you learn the proper way to stretch these areas without hurting them.

My wife has always had lower back problems and since starting yoga she has not had a single ache in her back. Plus her flexibility has increased insanely.

There are 2 big advantages in my climbing. First the ability to stay calm and breathe when pumped or sketched out. Second my balance has improved allot. The combination of the 2 also allows me to climb a lot more before I get tired. Last Wed. I was in the gym and climbed 11 routes all between 5.9 and 10b. A few months ago I would be lucky to climb 5 of those before something on my body was hurting to bad for me to climb.

The place I take yoga at offers QiGong and every few months has a free class. I have wanted to check that out.

Just my experience with yoga

shakylegs

Oct 12, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I've found that yoga (sivananda) keeps me more centered and flexible than pilates. Different breathing techniques are espoused, (out thru the nose vs the mouth), and I'm more comfortable with the former.
Of course, YMMV.

greyicewater

Oct 12, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was thinking about trying yoga. i actually started a class, but it was at 8 o'clock in the morning on saturdays. never got up in time...

aarong

Oct 12, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started ashtanga yoga about a month ago and I'm already addicted. I can tell a big difference in my flexibility, my ab and shoulder strength, and my overall mood. After years of climbing my fingers and forearms have become stiff - those are the most difficult areas for me. I make a little bit of progress with each session. I will definently stick with yoga.

Partner tyify

Oct 13, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

nthisthebesta moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthisthebesta moved this thread from General to Technique & Training.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook