Premier Sponsor:

deleted
Deleted

Oct 13, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Do you do Crack?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

Partner euroford

Oct 13, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Re: Do you do Crack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't paste your feet on the sides. camming your feet into the crack is what its all about.

stick your foot in vertically, with your knee out to your side, then twist your leg until your knee is infront/below you so you can stand up on your foot.

this works like a charm

and rather than placing gear above you, where you want to jamb your hand, place gear at your waist or below after you have already used the jamb and moved onto the next one.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 13, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:2f5b754c20="euroford"]don't paste your feet on the sides. camming your feet into the crack is what its all about.

stick your foot in vertically, with your knee out to your side, then twist your leg until your knee is infront/below you so you can stand up on your foot.

this works like a charm

and rather than placing gear above you, where you want to jamb your hand, place gear at your waist or below after you have already used the jamb and moved onto the next one.[/quote:2f5b754c20]

Great tips thanks, yeah I tried camming a toe into the rock but it was a really wierd crack was flared for like 5 inches on the outside then turned into a perfect fingers crack deeper in. My feet where hurting since I'm a heavy climber and I started to sort of get a toe into the crack, but it hurt like (*&^( .

I'm going to try to find some finger crack boulder problems to work on, I've never seen one around where I live.

trenchdigger

Oct 13, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...but it hurt like (*&^( .

Welcome to crack climbing.

Stiffer shoes can help alleviate the foot pain, but nothing comfortizes crack climbing more than honing technique. It just takes a little practice. And using your feet on a crack is just as important as good footwork on a steep face.

Enjoy!
~Adam~

korporal

Oct 13, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love crack. I find it to be so much easier than face or slab. It is a bit weird when you start but as you do it more you will learn different jamming techniques and it will become less strenous and less painfull. I agree with Euroford about jamming, however there are cracks that require smearing at least one foot.

hoppinbig

Oct 13, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How many of you have tried crack?

And this climb was only rated a 5.9 finger crack! My god it felt like a 5.11!

there is nothing similar about a 5.9 sport climb and a 5.9 crack climb....

sarcat

Oct 13, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and rather than placing gear above you, where you want to jamb your hand, place gear at your waist or below after you have already used the jamb and moved onto the next one.

...but now your piece is were you want to put your foot. Go figure.....

slablizard

Oct 13, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a big fan of cracks. Unfortunately it's almost all they sell around here.

:lol:

In reply to:

I've been climbing for many years off and on, and so far have been able to avoid any serious finger crack climbs till this weekend. All the sport routes where busy I had my trad rack with me and I found this beautiful finger crack that was one pitch. I knew cracks where one of my weak points so I gave it a try. I was able to get half way up jamming my hands and pasting my feet on the sides, but I found it to be very different and very hard climbing compared to face and overhanging climbs etc. To make it worse It seems like the best places to stick gear is also the best place to jam too, so you have to really mess around sometimes trying to make things go. What a learning experince. And this climb was only rated a 5.9 finger crack! My god it felt like a 5.11! ahhaa.

Partner euroford

Oct 13, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

...but now your piece is were you want to put your foot. Go figure.....

lol, yeah i hate it when that happens!

rendog

Oct 13, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a friend of mine once said:

"the higher your tolerance to pain, the better crack climber you can be"

'nuff said

Partner calamity_chk

Oct 13, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
a friend of mine once said:

"the higher your tolerance to pain, the better crack climber you can be"

'nuff said

so THAT's why i suck at crack climbing!

Partner cracklover

Oct 13, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love crack. But you knew that already. :)

In reply to:

Hmm, this technique is often advised for cracks from thin hand up to about wide fist, but the poster was talking about a finger crack. In my experience, 5.9 finger cracks are usually slabby enough that you're better off doing exactly what the poster said - smearing the feet on features on the face. The crack is typically too thin to get enough of your foot in to get an effective cam, and the face is slabby enough to get decent purchase on features. Of course, when the crack widens a bit, cam away!

GO

petsfed

Oct 13, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Great tips thanks, yeah I tried camming a toe into the rock but it was a really wierd crack was flared for like 5 inches on the outside then turned into a perfect fingers crack deeper in. My feet where hurting since I'm a heavy climber and I started to sort of get a toe into the crack, but it hurt like (*&^( .

With a heavy flare like that, you should be able to get a positive foot jam for one foot, while flagging and smearing with the other. Alternate which foot is in the crack with each move.

/jams in head seams.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 13, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what I think is really crazy? Over hanging cracks like "Trench Warefare".

Partner cracklover

Oct 13, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but it was a really wierd crack was flared for like 5 inches on the outside then turned into a perfect fingers crack deeper in.

I may have to take back what I said earlier - if the crack flares out enough, there's a good chance of getting an excellent foot jam here and there. So I guess the real answer to the question of whether your feet belong in the crack or on the face on finger cracks is... It Depends(TM). :)

I've done 5.11 finger cracks (such as Airation, on Cathedral) where the best feet are face smears, and 5.5 finger cracks (such as P1 of Pentapitch, LCC) that have occasional excellent foot jams.

I guess the best way to proceed is to learn both techniques, and then follow the path of least resistance for the route you're on.

GO

gremlin

Oct 13, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got on my first [semi]crack this past weekend. It was a 5.9, and shortly afterwards, regraded by my climbing partner to a 5.9f, for "fucking rediculously hard". That said, it was pretty darn fun, and it wasn't even really a tall crack or anything. I'm definitely gonna try to do more crack climbing. I was pretty cold when I started, and sweating with my shirt off by the time I finished.

akicebum

Oct 13, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To jam or not to jam. My hard finger crack was serenity crack. My partner is a crack addict and he had me jamming the whole way. By the top of pitch two I had my shoes off and I was hanging so I would have to weight my feet. By the end of the week my toes were diggin in and lovin it.
Crack climbing hurts some, but damn it is fun. Whoever mentioned Trench warfare was right on, that thing is heinous. The feet look alright though :shock: .

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook