Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

craghack

Oct 14, 2004, 8:53 AM
Post #26 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Re: Crazy climber screams! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just hope none of my pupils ever hears me when I take a fall! Not very teacher-like, to say the least. :oops:

crag

Oct 14, 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #27 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does Farting Count?

jonoj

Oct 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #28 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a newbie-ish climbing friend, who's somewhat of a "one time in band camp" kinda gal.

When she's having a bit of trouble on the rock she has the most polite way of expressing herself.

Here is some of her repertoire:

"Oh dear"
"Oh bother"
"I'm in a bit of a fix"
"Please can you take up some slack.... please"
"Ffffffffiddle sticks"
"This sodding move!"

Slowly she is learning the fine art of cursing and cussing, and will be a fine orator yet!

subtle

Oct 14, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #29 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so this wasn't my finest moment...

I was in the gym, leading this project of mine. Right at the edge of my ability...every move a desperate throw with low probability of sucess...a beautiful route that traversed up and around an overhanging wall. Finally, after about 93824 attempts, I find some sort of a zone. I am one with the plastic. The holds, they love me...and I love them back. I go into a zen detachment as I stylishly clip through the draws, chalking and shaking out like you see in the movies. I'm cruising toward the formality of hitting the finish jug and clipping the anchors for the obvious Rock and Ice (and Gym) cover shot...and I screw up and throw with the wrong hand.

I take, oh, a 25 foot whipper into space. I get through most of the standard F word permuatations on the way down, then start making up new ones. I throw a solid mega-wobbler for about two minutes, then notice my belayer is laughing at me, so I yell at her for a while...which buys me some extra time dangling to think about what a jerk I'm being...and then I look down...

...at the kids camp.

The moms seemed, well...impressed isn't the right word.

So, I almost get thrown out of the gym forever, for good reason. As I'm sitting shamefully under a V0- problem taking off my shoes, I comment to my belayer that, since I have a quiet speaking voice, I'm sure nobody heard me.

"Oh, they heard you."

elvislegs

Oct 14, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #30 of 53 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i took my cousin out once with some friends, and he was doing well for a first timer just cruising the easy stuff. so i set up a rope for him on a stiffer .9.

he was just beginning to pick up some of the terminology, and was more than a little freaked out by falling. at the crux of the route he came off, screaming like a kindergartener the whole way, "BELAY ME! BELAY ME!! BELAY ME!1"

...this, of course, was the funniest thing ever to the rest of us, so we were all on our asses laughing. poor guy, he didn't know any better.

kevanrobitaille

Oct 14, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #31 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish over the summer. There was an invasion from Quebec, climbers that called themselves monkeys for some inside joke that was way over my head. I was night bouldering, and from time to time I heard some one scream like they were seriously being stabbed. I was actually very worried and wondered if we should go find help and find the source of the screams, but my partners assured me it was just the monkeys. Scared the hell out of me...

sarcat

Oct 14, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #32 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's common curtesy around to yell damn after the fall to let any potential viewers know that the move just missed really is easy and emit the "I've hit that move the last 10 times" feeling. I know I do it.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 14, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #33 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:42e505b33b="kevanrobitaille"]Squamish over the summer. There was an invasion from Quebec, climbers that called themselves monkeys for some inside joke that was way over my head. I was night bouldering, and from time to time I heard some one scream like they were seriously being stabbed. I was actually very worried and wondered if we should go find help and find the source of the screams, but my partners assured me it was just the monkeys. Scared the hell out of me...[/quote:42e505b33b]

You know some monkeys eat other monkeys; something to think aobut :shock:

danbensen

Oct 14, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #34 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I gotta say, the funniest stuff I hear is the stuff I'm responsible for. I have a rather annoying habit of screaming/grunting whenever I have to hold myself on tough stretches. even better (although harder to appreciate) is that I also make the weirdest faces when I have to strain, and the combination of the two has gotten to the point that one time my belayer fell off the rock he was sitting on. damn lucky I was on tr

lizardsdb

Oct 14, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #35 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll admit i've had my share of funny sayings while climbing but the funniest had to be a couple of months ago. i was climbing goodrow's (10c crack) in bcc on top rope and i could feel my hands slipping. all i could think to yell to the guy belaying me was "hold me! please!" even funnier now that we are dating :oops:

climbsomething

Oct 14, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #36 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have my elitist tendencies, no doubt, but laughing at a scared beginner who's not used to falling, exposure, hard moves, is just mean. They don't know any better, and I don't think mocking them will make them want to return to the sport and be the oober-badasses that we are. Cut them some slack (so to speak).

deleted
Deleted

Oct 14, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #37 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:409564adb9="climbsomething"]I have my elitist tendencies, no doubt, but laughing at a scared beginner who's not used to falling, exposure, hard moves, is just mean. They don't know any better, and I don't think mocking them will make them want to return to the sport and be the oober-badasses that we are. Cut them some slack (so to speak).[/quote:409564adb9]

Hi Hillary, I used to live in Tucson might be moving back let me know if you need a climbing partner; by the way do you have a boyfriend?! :wink:

t-dog
Deleted

Oct 14, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #38 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehehe, I can testify that Addiroids makes quite a nice scream when he falls on aid :twisted:

losgadh

Oct 14, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #39 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am one of the toughest girls I know. I can take a fall or a break with the best of them. Growing up with all guys will do that for you. Yet i am completly guilty of the super girly EEEK! when i fall off somthing high. *shakes head in embaresment*

Partner ctardi

Oct 14, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #40 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
oober-badasses that we are.

"oober" is spelt Uber ;)

i tend to just let out a little waaahhhoo! when i fall, except for 1 fall I took last night, a 12 footer while I was top ropeing at the gym. I think my belayer was asleep or somethign, but it cought him off guard. I think the scream was something like, WHOOWAHHHWAKEUPIDIOT, WHAT THE (Curses edited out) ARE YOU DOING? and when i finish, i let out a grin the size of texas.

elvislegs

Oct 15, 2004, 3:19 PM
Post #41 of 53 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have my elitist tendencies, no doubt, but laughing at a scared beginner who's not used to falling, exposure, hard moves, is just mean. They don't know any better, and I don't think mocking them will make them want to return to the sport and be the oober-badasses that we are. Cut them some slack (so to speak).

i'm sorry hill, but... OH PUH-LEASE!1 i have to call bs.

honestly, if someone is THAT fragile and insecure with themselves, i don't want them out again anyway so good riddance.
see, everyone is new and goofy at some point, and it's funny. it was funny when it was me, and it was funny when it was you, and it is funny when it is all these poor people. i raised some chuckles when i was starting out. i was able to chuckle along with them because i outgrew my eighth-grade-boy-ego when i was in high school.

that said, my comfort with laughing at someone is directly based on my relationship with them. and in my case, it was my cousin with whom i am very close that i was laughing at, and he really has it coming to him.

so like, lighten up advice marm.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 15, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #42 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This post was never intended to be just about newbie screams, I'm talking about any climbers.

punkbunny

Oct 18, 2004, 7:06 PM
Post #43 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say that this topic has taken up several hours of 'chat time' at the crag this past summer, and the stories are endless... but I'd like to draw a mental picture of the vast distance between my guy's way of 'dealing' and mine...

his: 'okay, watch here... uh... sssssssssssssssssssssssiiisssssssssspppppp... whoo, thanks, great catch. I'll jug up from here.'

Mine: 'oh God, oh GOD, OH God... OH MY GOD!!! aaaarrrrrwwwwoooooofff. Oh... I'm gonna yack... oh man... okay, lemme down... YES I'm sure... crap.'

and therin lies the difference experience can make, I guess. :wink:

crazygirl

Oct 18, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #44 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i yell something like 'aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA' when i'm about to fall

boz84

Oct 18, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #45 of 53 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The funniest screams come from boulderers. BZZZATT!

Ive taken ownership of using "Bzat", all royalties can be paid directly to me using paypal.

im considering writing an article on the efficiency of various grunts and screams as pertaining to doing hard boulder problems. Its my theory that not only does grunting help you climb better, it helps with the ladies as well.

Example Scenario:
So say youre working on that killer V8 proj at the gym, and you want to make sure that fly honey sees you working on it. Its not enough to just hope she glances your way as you stick that mondo dyno to the greasy sloper. By yelling you can ensure that all the chickadees in the gym will see you.

In this case a Bzat is warrented, emphasis on the zat.

md3

Oct 18, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #46 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best and most hilarious screaming and yelling comes from the nervous leader who takes it out on his girlfriend, criticizing every aspect of their belaying and even, at times, their lack of appropriate moral support. It creates opportunities.

mtnjohn

Oct 18, 2004, 8:20 PM
Post #47 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The absolute best scream I've ever heard was years ago at the Pinnacles,
There was a couple climbing a few climbs away from us. He had led the climb and set a top rope. She had climbed to the crux and attempted it a few times, with no success. Getting more and more frustrated she asked to lowered. He refused, telling her to keep trying. They go back and forth yelling. She's getting more and more pissed that he won't lower her and finally she SCREAMS at full volume, and I quote...
"Just F***king lower me! If you want climb this shit go find yourself one of the 5.13 bitches with two pussies!"
We howled for hours!
Years later we still use the term.

Edit: This has been totally edited by moderaters

jamaica

Oct 18, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #48 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my partner once broke a hold and fell at the same time and yelled F$%K and ROCK at the same time which came out as FROCK.

Jamaica 8^)

petsfed

Oct 18, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #49 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Edit: This has been totally edited by moderaters

Its still pretty coherent when you view at -2. In which case... What? I'm pretty skilled when it comes to vulgarity, but I try to maintain some degree of coherency. She's just throwing words together and hoping its offensive.

cygstarz

Oct 22, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #50 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all. Quick introduction since this is only my second post.

I used to be an avid climber. Had a bad experience with a bad belayer (my only climbing partner after others moved West) and gave up climbing for a decade as a result. I simply couldn't mentally get past the fact that I couldn't trust the guy.

I'm on the rocks again with some good friends and loving it. Was equally thrilled to discover this site.

Goofiest call I ever made was on a nice, cozy 5.7 I was warming up on. About 50 feet up, I confidently stuck my hand in a nice deep crack just above my line of sight and fumbled around for a bomber grip I knew to be inside. I found it and started pulling myself up when I felt something tickling my hand. Then I felt something crawl onto the back of my hand. Something big.

***interjection to point out that I am deathly afraid of spiders***

I frantically yanked my hand out of the crack, pulling the unseen thing with it, lost my footing on the tiny flake I was standing on and began to plummet from the rocks. Falling right along beside me (at eye level) was a wolf spider that was big enough to comfortably rest its body in the palm of a man's hand with its legs dangling over the side.

One voice in my head is trying to remind me that I should alert my belayer to the fact that I am rapidly on my way down to see him. Another voice is screaming, "jesus christ in a little green hat!!! LOOK AT THAT FREAKING THING!!"

Both thoughts combined and, in a shrill shreak hardly appropriate for the manly man I thought I was, I alerted my belayer....."SPALLING!!!"

The spider survived. Landed next to my belayer where, as he tells it, it went on the offensive and charged him, forcing him to hop around in total panic. He never let go with that brake hand, though he certainly lowered me faster and less smoothly than I'm used to.

Over beers later that night my belayer assigned me the temporary nickname of Spalling and I countered by calling him Hoppy. Thank God niether name stuck.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook