Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Vote for Your Favorite Climbing Photographer!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Aug 14, 2004, 10:03 AM
Post #51 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vote for Your Favorite Climbing Photographer! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, Bob, if it makes you feel any better (though I doubt it really does), I'm pretty sure I'm a grommet who speaks from the perspective of a photog, not just somebody who spanks it to Gallery and Exposed or the same 5 shots that come up on the front page. I am quite deferential to Eppi's talents- if climbing photogs had groupies, I'd be one. He's done so much for the sport just as a recorder.

snafflehound

Aug 23, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #52 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and epperson is so old he is about to dry up and blow away...i'm sick of it. excellent stuff, but i'm so tired of seeing one stock photo after another of some person (who is now 50) in fires and lycra w/ a headband on..

Can you tell I'm a sporto?

I can tell you're a ninny. Sport climbing was invented by guys in fires and lycra with headbands on. If you were a real sporto those shots should give you wood the way men of a certain age respond to a Rita Hayworth pinup.

BVB is spot on about Epperson as an innovator, he redefined the game and most of the folks working in climbing photography today are standing on his shoulders.

Step back a few years earlier and Godfrey & Chelton's "Climb" was hugely influential. Rowell brought art to the genre, merging an Ansel Adams sense of light and composition with our little subculture. These are a few of the shoulders Epperson got a boost from.

Points to the guy who mentioned Sella too. His expedition work with the Duke of Abruzzi was amazing.

shatter

Oct 16, 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #53 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Gordon Wiltsie?

http://www.alpenimage.com/

Do a search for him at www.nationalgeographic.com

dude

Oct 16, 2004, 1:39 AM
Post #54 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is some shameless self promotion for you. Check out my climbing photos at http://www.markweberphoto.com

Partner tyify

Oct 16, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #55 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Tyify moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tyify moved this thread from General to Climbing Photography.

thegreytradster

Oct 20, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #56 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
and epperson is so old he is about to dry up and blow away

I don't know about that but what irritates me is so many of his shots are posed...some hottie hanging on to something she can't climb on the cover of a mag doesn't do it for me. He has a bunch of prints for sale on Webshots.com that are mislabeled. For instance, there is one of a guy stemming up the Cave Boulder at the Buttermilks with a rope hanging straight down and Basin Mtn. in the background...it is labeled Split Rock in JTree. There is another one of some dude on a route that is labeled Red Rocks, Joshua Tree National Monument. Epperson never answers e-mails pointing out these mistakes

you fuucking idiots. epperson basically invented modern cragging photography, in 1985, when he went into a machine shop and fabricated his "stilts" and combined them with the use of wide-angle lenses.

threads like this really iritate me because, once agian, we have a bunch of f--- who don't know jack s--- about the topic blowing smoke up one another's asses in an effort to appear knowledgable on the topic.

in order to understand the evolution of climbing photography, you need a full set of mountain, ascent, and climbing magazines going back to issue one, plus a selection of tom frost's work -- the first guy to really capture, on a routine basis, the wildness of valley wall climbing.

i doubt any of you have done any serious research into this matter, as you are all so off-base it's embarassing. nobody has mentioned bob godfey or dudley chelton yet. gosh, imagine that.

stick to s--- you know about....like, oh, i don't know...the fine points of clipping draws on overbolted 11c's.

this is so much like the bachar thread. none of the participants know what they are talking about, but that does not stop that from posting up.

fuucking grommet n00b wannabe bullsiite artists. give it a rest.
To that I'd add no knowledge of the work of the REAL mountain photographers

Timothy O'Sullivan
William Henry Jackson
John Hillers
JE Stimson
(these guys dealt wth the wet plate process and about 500lb of kit and still got amazing results.)
Ansel Adams
(Some of his back country sierras stuff has still not been surpassed)
And capping it all off
Bradford Washburn
(photographer, climber and mapmaker extrordinare)

Anybody with a 35mm or digital is taking snapshots compared to what those guys were able to produce given the technology avallable.

akornylak

Oct 21, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #57 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would make Galen Rowell my favorite mountain snapshooter.

the_alpine

Oct 21, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #58 of 58 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like VanGogh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook