RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

acolyte

Oct 18, 2004, 7:14 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Best Climbing videos?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As someone who can't afford a shelf full of $30 climbing videos, I only want to purchase the best. What, in your opinion, are the best videos, and is there any place they can be found for decent prices?

I personally enjoy videos with great cinematography, plenty of minutes in length, high re-watchability, and that have awesome footage of routes. Ideally, you'd be able to learn some moves/technique off this footage, but not necessarily.

(As a bonus question, are there any "instructional" videos out there that are worth it, or is it always best to just learn on the rock from others more experienced? My guess would be the latter.)

subtle

Oct 18, 2004, 1:14 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Climbing videos? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, best videos:

Bouldering - Rampage
Route Climbing - AutoRoute or Yank On Hits (tie)
Overall - Dosage #1

thewiz

Oct 18, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Action adept Yosemite valley. It's a good film. you can see the pilot http://www.joshuatreeclimbing.com/action_adept/ and you can buy it at http://www.mtntools.com/index.html Tom's a friend and happen to capture some of the most awesome footage I've seen in a long time.

thisflash

Oct 18, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Masters of Stone V. Dan Osman free soloing Fire in the Hole 5.12b at Cave Rock. It's my favorite climb. Watching him free solo it and throw a knee bar to no hands rest while hanging upside down is wild.

crackmd

Oct 18, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Big Stone had some of the finest crackclimbing footage I have seen. Jason Campbell absolutely maxing out trying to onsight the crux 13a corner on Moonlight Buttress and pulling through by a thread was truly mesmerizing. You could hear the stress in his voice and see it when he was blindly and desperately stuffing TCUs in the crack. It's not often you see world-class climbers with the sewing machine legs. There was no music to detract from the intensity. Add on killer footage of Caldwell on the Salathe and Hill on the Nose and you have an amazing crackclimbing video if this is what floats your boat.

imcd

Oct 18, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Autoroute all the way.

climb_463

Oct 18, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thisflash, dude I must agree that masters of stone V is one amazing video ... The section about Dan Osman is crazy, when he is speed climbing some cliffs and dynoing from hold to hold !!! crazy! Can you still buy that video ?

Also, there is the guy at the beginning climbing a really long overhanging crack, and that girl free soloing a crack on a vertical wall...

Seriously this video is old, but beats a lot of modern videos I saw...

hurdles

Oct 18, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

autoroute is a good one.

grayrock

Oct 18, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Professionals with Francois Legrand and Yuji Hirayama far and away meets all your criteria. Most excellent climbing, good story, good dialog, no swearing (you can watch it with your family). I watch mine once a week for sure.
The Pilgrimage is excellent but not if you have kids around. Some inappropriate language, but not as bad as some others out there. The story is great, the dialog is terrific, and the climbing is superb.

Dosage I is also really good.

petsfed

Oct 18, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thisflash, dude I must agree that masters of stone V is one amazing video ... The section about Dan Osman is crazy, when he is speed climbing some cliffs and dynoing from hold to hold !!! crazy! Can you still buy that video ?

Also, there is the guy at the beginning climbing a really long overhanging crack, and that girl free soloing a crack on a vertical wall...

Seriously this video is old, but beats a lot of modern videos I saw...

Dean Potter on the crack house (which I hear is heinous, but everytime I try to go out there, some desert tower gets in the way...) and Steph Davis on Coyne Crack and Scarface. I've seen a lot of people on Coyne Crack.

cgranite

Oct 18, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rampage for bouldering-DVD has good bonus footage.
Autoroute and The Professionals for sportclimbing. Autoroute is aesthetically pleasing to watch, while The Professionals is great for studding technique and Beta.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook