Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Pico d Orizaba
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

joshuaroe

Oct 15, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Pico d Orizaba  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Bad_Bananas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, has anyone done Orizaba? I'm headed down in dec. and staying until feb for some mountaineering and kayaking and was just looking to get some area beta before i go, thanks for any info.

atg200

Oct 16, 2004, 2:31 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pico d Orizaba [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, a couple of times. the secor mexican volanoes book has all the info you need. i've always stayed with senor reyes - i like their outfit. finding his place in tlachichuca is not obvious. turn left out of the bus station, walk about two blocks, and go into the little store on the corner(kittycorner from a gas station i think). ask there, and they will take you to the reyes place.

acclimating on ixta first is a good idea. the first time i went straight to orizaba and was utterly miserable. the second time i did ixta first in a leisurely couple of days and orizaba was no big deal. the ayoloco glacier route on ixta is good fun - the normal route is a good way to descend, but looks like a bummer to go up. a nice way to do the ayoloco is to bivy just up from la joya the first night, bivy at the ayoloco hut the next night, and then carry your stuff up and over the summit the next day and descend the normal route.

the huts are really noisy, often crowded, and full of mice. i cook in them, but i much prefer sleeping outside. bivy sacks were totally adequate for me last february.

joshuaroe

Oct 17, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks much for the info, i'm quite sure this will be of great use! would you know of any local kayaking or how to find it within a few hours of the mountains? thanks again.

chinogil

Oct 19, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, has anyone done Orizaba? I'm headed down in dec. and staying until feb for some mountaineering and kayaking and was just looking to get some area beta before i go, thanks for any info.

Hi , yes i've done it and a friend of mine is a perfect mountain guide , also im kayaker , no w here is the season of kayaking .

write me an email and i'll give u more information

alpinetrekker

Apr 24, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey what's up?

I'm planning on going to Mexico in January (or somewhere around that time). I'm going there to see a friend and to climb Orizaba. It would be good if I could plan the climb with another crew.

so if you are interested in having a another member with your climb let me know.

Take care,

you can reach me here:
alpinetrekker@hotmail.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook