Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

opheliaascending

Oct 22, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #1 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

"Feminine" Protection while climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My question is what is the best type of protection when you're climbing while menstruating?

May be a silly question, but I'd sure like some real input here.

I've only been climbing since August and I've never had a period in that whole time because I'm a nursing mother on progesterone, so last night was the first night I've had this problem with my period. I didn't know what to wear down there when I went to the gym. (It was also my first time at the gym. Yuck!....I guess it'll do till the weather warms up.......)

My logical thought would be tampon, but the compromising positions I found myself in made me rethink that logic.

So what's the scoop?

kimmyt

Oct 22, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Feminine" Protection while climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tampons. I've never understood why some women feel as though they can't be athletic whilst wearing them, as I never feel any different with them in. Of course, I've been wearing them since I first got my period and I refuse to wear a diaper. I mean, pad. I only had one incident when I bled through my clothes, and that was a rare case of heavy flow for me.

K.

justhavefun

Oct 22, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #3 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tampons

This is a single point of failure! The first thing you learn in climbing (besides how to wear cute athletic tops), is that all protection MUST BE REDUNDANT!

If we need to tie into two points of our harness, and if we need to create an anchor using at least two pieces of protection, what makes us think our nether regions are any less deserving of the same level of safety?

Try using a "cup" like the Instead, and back that up with a tampon. For extra redundancy, you can back that up with a pad. Tie a prussik in a bit of accessory cord and lash it between your legs to make sure the pad is secured. You may want to attach the pad with climbing tape to your panties if you have doubts about its ability to stick. (Pads, unlike shoes, cannot be resoled.) If you are a hardcore multi-pitch climber, you may want to consider getting the depo shot to stop the problem altogether.

clausti

Oct 22, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit: delete.

kimmyt

Oct 22, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #5 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Tampons

This is a single point of failure! The first thing you learn in climbing (besides how to wear cute athletic tops), is that all protection MUST BE REDUNDANT!

If we need to tie into two points of our harness, and if we need to create an anchor using at least two pieces of protection, what makes us think our nether regions are any less deserving of the same level of safety?

Try using a "cup" like the Instead, and back that up with a tampon. For extra redundancy, you can back that up with a pad. Tie a prussik in a bit of accessory cord and lash it between your legs to make sure the pad is secured. You may want to attach the pad with climbing tape to your panties if you have doubts about its ability to stick. (Pads, unlike shoes, cannot be resoled.) If you are a hardcore multi-pitch climber, you may want to consider getting the depo shot to stop the problem altogether.

You are my hero.

Question: Should I use 5 mm or 6 mm accessory cord?

Also, do they make pads with sticky rubber on them to prevent slippage??

K.

opheliaascending

Oct 22, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #6 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

Ok. I get it. The problem is tampons always seem to well.....um....they just don't work THAT well for me and I hate pads.....I guess I was hoping there was some "secret climber chic protection". Guess I'm stuck with the ol' tampon and pantyliner. Depo makes me crazy :twisted: and can't have it while I'm nursing anyway.

.....maybe I should just have a radical hysterectomy. Probably piss off my midwife though.

gypsylandslide

Oct 22, 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #7 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of friends of mine turned me on to the Keeper. It's awesome and reusable. It's a cup made of pure gum rubber that you insert. I tried "Instead" before I tried the Keeper and they never seemed to work out for me. Never could get them to sit right. Since it's reusable, I think I've saved over a hundred dollars since I started using it a couple years ago. With the Keeper, I never have any problems and I don't often use redundant protection.

http://www.thekeeperinc.com/index.html

opheliaascending

Oct 22, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #8 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that. I couldn't get Instead to work either. Always seemed to end up bathing in it. ugh.

Partner macherry

Oct 22, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #9 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My logical thought would be tampon, but the compromising positions I found myself in made me rethink that logic.

huh?????????????????? :wtf:

maculated

Oct 23, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #10 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Keeper. Hands down. Takes some getting used to, but it is wuuuuuuuunderful.

changling

Oct 23, 2004, 1:04 AM
Post #11 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know why so many women complain about pads. I wear ultra thin pads and they do not feel like diapers at all. Sometimes, when I know I won't get to change the pad in a while, I wear it with a tampon, although I'm not a bit fan of tampons. They are extremely uncomfortable when they fill up. I choose pads over tampons whenever I can.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Oct 23, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #12 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Ok - before I get nailed... I checked out the link and admittedly I'm a little freaked out. I've never heard of the Keeper and seriously wonder how much research has been done? Is it safe? Yep, I'm a little skeptical - maybe a little more concerned healthwise...

For those women who have used this, how did you hear about it? How long have you used it? Any complications? Any concerns?

Thanks,

Jen

granite_grrl

Oct 23, 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #13 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Ok - before I get nailed... I checked out the link and admittedly I'm a little freaked out. I've never heard of the Keeper and seriously wonder how much research has been done? Is it safe? Yep, I'm a little skeptical - maybe a little more concerned healthwise...

For those women who have used this, how did you hear about it? How long have you used it? Any complications? Any concerns?

Thanks,

Jen

I've been hearing about the keeper for years, I remember my high school art teacher mentioning it once. Even if it was new on the market then the effects of different materials to use there have been routinly tested by women world wide (well, at least many of us who don't get regular action, if you know what I mean....). In fact I think that there is even a different version of the keeper made of a different material for women who may be sensitive or alergic to to original.

I've tried it, and would like to try it again. I just couldn't get it to seal right and it would leak. But true to their word I tried it for three cycles, wasn't happy with it and they took it back. I think most women should try it. If it works, I'm sure you'll be happy, if it doesn't no losses.

ladylayback

Oct 23, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #14 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think that the Keeper would have a greater tendency to slip out of place than a tampon, but you ladies seem to be in the know. Alot of women have problems with tampons after delivering a baby. A friend of mine switched to O.B.s, because they expand in width, and she hasn't had a problem since.
After weighting a fairly highstepped leg I would think you would get that very uncomfortable gush if wearing a pad. That was the main reason I switched to tampons.

clausti

Oct 25, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #15 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit: delete.

granite_grrl

Oct 25, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #16 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also... thing I hate most is having my period on a climbing trip... if you were empting this thing... could you just pour it out into the woods??? I admit again, that I am shocked and flustered and a bit grossed out, but above all... intriqued. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's recomended to dig a hole and bury it. I have also heard the suggestion to pee on it to clean it off (pee being sterile).

As to where to buy it...If you find a store that sells reusable pads and organic tampons you're probably on the right track. I knew of two stores in the small city of Halifax, NS that sold them. Or you could always order it online.

rock_diva

Oct 25, 2004, 8:20 PM
Post #17 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you wear the Keeper all day? Does it leak if you're heavy? I climb with tampons but have heavy periods, so you can imagine the problems on long trad routes with no opportunity to change tampons.

You've all sold me on the Keeper idea though.. I'm going to give it a try!

gypsylandslide

Oct 26, 2004, 7:47 AM
Post #18 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I had a problem with leaking was when I first started using it. I realized that I sort of had to squat and bear down when inserting it. I have to do that when I use tampons too, so it might be just me. I've used my keeper on day 1 with heavy flow, from 4:30 in the morning to 9:30 at night, without any leakage.

They say average loss during your menstrual period is about 2 ounces and the keeper holds 1 full ounce (about 30 mL). A normal sized tampon holds about 5mL of blood (super about 10 mL). If you're really heavy, and you're on a long climb, you might want to use a liner just in case, but most should be fine.

Honestly, my biggest problem with it when I'm out on overnight trips is making sure I can wash my hands before emptying it. On all day trips, when I'm not staying overnight, I just worry about it when I get to plumbing, even if I have to use the bathroom in the field.

maculated

Oct 26, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #19 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, sorry, wasn't paying attention to the Keeper thread. It's a damn good thing I'm not shy about my girlie bits, hey?

1. Safety - very safe. Which is better for you? Abrasive, bleached, and pesticide treated cotton, or natural rubber? It has indeed been tested.

2. Leakage - I have never had a problem. IN FACT, upon the first few usages, the vacuum seal was so tight I felt like my insides were going to come out. I got over it.

3. Changing - I change it about half as often as I would a normal tampon day. I've also enjoyed many overnight climbing trips with it. I've left it in for as long as 12 hours with no problems. It is VERY nice to have your own private bathroom or shower to yank it out, but I got along camping and living in Camp 4 (public bathrooms) just fine. A Nalgene bottle is all you really need to clean it off and stick it back in.

4. Squeamishness - it took me a LONG time to work up to using it. YOu have to stick your fingers way up there, and it just looks wrong. It is still a thousand times more comfortable and handy than a tampon.

5. Sustainable - you can use it for years. No leaving cotton waste anymore.

acacongua

Oct 27, 2004, 1:06 PM
Post #20 of 77 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.thekeeperinc.com/

I hear very good reports about this. However, if your curve deviates from the norm, you probably can't use it (as was my experience as well as a friend's experience).

kimmyt

Oct 27, 2004, 1:20 PM
Post #21 of 77 (22329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

May be silly, but how do you figure if your curve deviates from the norm? Can you ask your gyno next visit? Or do you just have to buy it and give it a shot, risk the fact that it might not work for you?

Curious.

K.

maculated

Oct 27, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #22 of 77 (22329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kimmy, I think the latter. But they take them back, so it's a risk-free investment. Yay for not being deviant! I had no idea. :)

kimmyt

Oct 27, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #23 of 77 (22329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
they take them back

....errr.....I hope they throw them away.

acacongua

Nov 3, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #24 of 77 (22329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your doctor will tell you during an exam. Of course, I wouldn't worry so much - buy it and give it a whirl!

In reply to:
May be silly, but how do you figure if your curve deviates from the norm? Can you ask your gyno next visit? Or do you just have to buy it and give it a shot, risk the fact that it might not work for you?

Curious.

K.

amanda

Nov 11, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #25 of 77 (22329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a fan of tampons, but try to ALWAYS bring an extra, especially if it's a longer route or more committing time-wise. I spent 25 hours wearing one tampon when we had a little mini epic on a longer route. So just remember to bring an extra and a mature partner.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook