Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

climbtothebeet

Oct 27, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #26 of 63 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who likes MuSiC while climbing?!??!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

in teh gym, music, definatly, but outside, no music. i like to just have the quite that i never get when not climbing

Partner okie_redneck

Oct 27, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #27 of 63 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No music when climbing ever. For me part of the perfection of climbing is the communion with myself, the process of procession, so to speak. You know, the inner dialogue, and I say dialogue instead of monologue because I respond to myself and myself responds to me.

Anyway, music just muddies that, giving reality a dreamlike quality that detracts from the experience. Not to mention I can't pay attention when there's bass pounding in my ear
For some people, music drowns out the clutter. I too have an inner voice that is all too loud! I already have music in my head when I climb. I can't watch Touching the Void without Boney M playing on repeat in my head for a week destracting me from everything I try to do!
climbtothebeet: Where is it so crowded near Bartlesville? Don't say Chandler. Where else? Ask nicely, and I might tell you about an unpublished area (V1-double digit, mostly highball). We do what we want B/C it's "ours". You would be amazed at what climbing there is around here. We're onsighting V7 and pushing much further all day long listening to music.
To get back onto the original topic, I think that Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, Sublime, AK-1200, Deiselboy, etc. friggin make for a better day and a harder push.
Oh, we like fireworks too... Just to destract a buddy at the crux. Bottle rockets are the best.
Loosen up. Noone here's talking about having a boombox three pitches up on a 5.10b slab run out 30 feet between bolts distracting you. There is a difference. I'm really happy that climbing is an entertaining thing for me rather than some cosmic Zen experience. If it weren't, I'd probably quit.

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2004, 3:51 AM
Post #28 of 63 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During a recent trip to Potash road i made the decision that since 4 ton trucks would wiz by only feet from a climb why not open the truck and listen to whatever? but before i did this i took into consideration 1)the outside noise of the road 2)there were no other climbers around and 3) how often i have listened to music while climbing. which is practically never. It was a great experience seeing that i played music that would psyche one up and i never hasd done anything like that.

jt5l2

Oct 27, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #29 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Re: WMD Found [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha they did lose a weapons cache the other day. Does that count as finding WMD??

-Jay

jt512

Oct 30, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #30 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

jt512 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 moved this thread from Community to Moderators & Editors.

None of the above posts were made by me. Look closely at the usernames. Whoever is doing this has gone so far as to copy my profile. Take a look at "jt5l2's" profile (that's a lower case "L" in place of the 1). Furthermore, the imposter has PMed Curt and asked him to meet him climbing tomorrow. Curt figured out that it wasn't me, fortunately.

Whoever is doing this is using weird IPs. The first was in Peru; the second, Spain. Tim, any way to figure out who's actually doing this? Clearly, this person could cause some serious trouble for me. For instance, he could PM anybody and say anything in my name.

I've tarpitted the "jt5l2" for 10 years. Phil took some action against ".jt512".

In addition, I am requesting that the following actions be taken as soon as possible:
    [*:6738818770]Cut off the ability of both accounts to send PMs.
    [*:6738818770]Delete all content from both profiles.
    [*:6738818770]Obtain a complete list of users who have been PMed by either account.
    [*:6738818770]Disallow any other similar user names (eg, "jt_512", etc.)

Will be sending a harassment report on this shortly.

-Jay

epic_ed

Oct 30, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #31 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Re: jt512 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is just freaky. Clearly, some jackass who's a bit technology savy is looking to stir up crap and make it look like Jay. I'm concerned with the direction this may be heading.

Ed

Partner j_ung

Oct 30, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #32 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Re: More impersonation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No kidding. This is creepy as hell.

Partner tim

Oct 30, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #33 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll look into it... at some point... but what you guys are doing is (and will continue to be) far more effective than any automated solution. One particularly easy addition would be to display userid's next to the name; I'll add this and leave the rest up to you.

We're seeing the same exact phenomena here that Slashdot went through. Maybe I should implement meta-moderation (vote reversal) and roll out can't-mod-your-own-thread after all; Jay's detractors seem to have organized to stir up shit, and if history is any guide, the only way to keep them from distorting things is to add a counterweight.

Numerical filtering is, of course, going to go away; but when a post gets a -2 or -3, it's almost invariably a piece of shit (cf. Nagual and other superstars of his ilk). Plus the newer search engine ranks by relevance first and score as a tiebreaker, by default. So keeping things accurate and dispelling confusion is in my best interest as well.

I think adding the unique userID (as a tooltip? as raw text? what do you think?) should get rid of the impersonation problems, at least for savvy users (the ones most likely to be impersonated).

How does that sound? Obviously I find everything non-search-related and non-route-related to be a distraction at this point in time, but also obviously this is an urgent matter. I'd like to resolve it today or tomorrow (heading for Josh, but could theoretically check in some changes after dinner or before I leave).

Partner tim

Oct 30, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #34 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's checked in (for both posts and private messages). Comments requested.

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 30, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #35 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Is this something perhaps that should be only viewable to mods?

I dont know, maybe I'm not fully understanding the concept but what is anyone supposed to do with the user id numbers?

aesthetically I would personally make the parenthesis smaller and take out the space between the parenthesis and the data to keep it even more subtle especially if it is going to be exposed to everyone - obviously not a huge deal though..

Partner coldclimb

Oct 30, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #36 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Is this something perhaps that should be only viewable to mods?

I dont know, maybe I'm not fully understanding the concept but what is anyone supposed to do with the user id numbers?

aesthetically I would personally make the parenthesis smaller and take out the space between the parenthesis and the data to keep it even more subtle especially if it is going to be exposed to everyone - obviously not a huge deal though..

You're just jealous because I'm closer to number one than you are! :twisted:

I find this a fun little feature. Certainly lets you know at a glance how long someone has been here. I don't see any reason to hide it from the users, but I do see how it could add clutter. Where is the best place for it?

jt512

Oct 30, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #37 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

While adding unique account id's to pm's and posts is a step in the right direction, we must keep in mind that in fact the id is an account id, not a user id. When Phil PMed ".jt512" to ask if he was me, he responded "yes" and explained that his "other" account (jt512) was screwed up, so he had to set up another account to post from, so unfortunately, I don't think that the unique account IDs will really help very much.

Now, I still have a specific problem that requires urgent damage control. I need to have the other things I listed in my post above taken care of. That guy has copied my user profile, so I need to have all the content from his user profile deleted. I also want to know who, besides Curt, he has sent PMs to pretending to be me. Finally, is there some way to track where he is really posting from, so I can get an idea of who he might be. I'm with Michael on this one: If the imposter goes much further, I would consider taking legal action against him.

-Jay

Partner coldclimb

Oct 30, 2004, 7:13 PM
Post #38 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think he's simply using an anonymous proxy to post from anonymous IPs. Pretty easy to do. As far as I'm aware, we can't trace it back to where he is at all.

It's so darn easy to get around bans. :? grrr...

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 30, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #39 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're just jealous because I'm closer to number one than you are! :twisted:

dammit! you have me all figured out!! haha no I think its a fun little feature too but i dont think it tells you with how long someone has been here more than the pecking order. I think the "Joined: Nov 2002" is more effective at this.

In reply to:
While adding unique account id's to pm's and posts is a step in the right direction, we must keep in mind that in fact the id is an account id, not a user id. When Phil PMed ".jt512" to ask if he was me, he responded "yes" and explained that his "other" account (jt512) was screwed up, so he had to set up another account to post from, so unfortunately, I don't think that the unique account IDs will really help very much.

That was exactly what I was getting at. I dont see what exactly it does for this situation - not saying it isnt cool, or a nice thing to have...I am just not seeing this one and need it spelled out as to what exactly this function will do for the impersonation issue.

Partner michael

Oct 31, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #40 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of you already heard about a couple people impersonating me on another site. In that case, they wrote that I enjoy sucking c--k and rubbing c-m all over my face, then signed my name to it. My business partners were unimpressed, and I wasn't happy my daughter could read such trash. A lawsuit was about to follow, but Jack Marshall (tripperjm) made a public apology on the same site for anything he and his friends did that was over the line. I still have the suit ready in case they decide to change their mind, but feel fairly confident that, that drama is over.

Now it appears that Jay is suffering the same, and may very well be the same crew for all we know. I don't know Jay's resources to follow through as I did, but anything I can do to help Jay, I will, and would ask that each of you do the same for this issue. If you find the person(s) responsible, permanently ban them instantly. Do not play witch hunt, but keep an eye out because I'm sure there will be others until this nonsense finally ends.

Partner michael

Oct 31, 2004, 1:32 AM
Post #41 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As Ed and Jay pointed out, this is a bit scary but only if we take it as such. In the end, it's just childish games by wannabe folks who should know better and in time will quickly fade. In minor dramas like this, I always keep something my grandmother said in mind - this too shall pass. 99.9% of the site is a blast, and will remain so for as long as we keep that in mind.

If it helps, about 18,000 people per month are pretty happy with this site, with maybe a dozen that don't like us. I make movies that generally get a few million folks to show up with MAYBE a 50% happiness ratio, of which many of the annoyed are actually friends I have to face later on :D

So repeat after me - this too shall pass....

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 31, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #42 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74662

Partner philbox

Oct 31, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #43 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil comes in late after spending the weekend away, looks around and thinks to self that all is now well, others have taken care of things admirably.

Well done guys. Now how did I know that this would happen again.

thomasribiere

Oct 31, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #44 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.boldering.com/...owtopic=17023&st=240
jt5l2 is mentionned in this bcom thread (page 9) by roughster. Glad rccom is not bcom, even if the urled thread as something unequaled...
Just to let you know.

Partner tim

Nov 1, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #45 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries, what Criz does with b.com is his business and I wish him the best.

I am only concerned with how people represent themselves here.

Partner tim

Nov 1, 2004, 1:14 AM
Post #46 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nb. Anonymous proxies can be tested, for example using BOPM.

I can stuff userid's into tooltips if people feel like that'd make a difference. They are butt ugly in their current location, and as Jay has pointed out, only non-vegetative readers with a functional brainstem can use them to differentiate users with similar names... :roll:

Personally, I feel like making a clear distinction between anonymous (not-logged-in) use and registered usage (logged in, responsible for what you do) is the best solution, consequently that is what I have begun pursuing. A technically proficient individual can, with enough effort, overcome these obstacles; there is no 'perfect' solution. But this makes it a lot more work and a lot less fun to try impersonating our users. And once we have a user's IP address, getting their ISP to cave in is generally a simple matter of having a formal request couriered to them from an attorney. That tends to snap folks like Jody out of their "I'm not responsible for anything" stupor... quick fast in a hurry.

It's all fun and games until someone loses their livelihood. After that, it's just fun :twisted:.

jt512

Nov 1, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #47 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I'm a little upset. I asked two days ago that someone turn off the fake jt's ability to PM, pointing out the danger from allowing him to send PMs in my name. According to mother_sheep, in the thread in the Suggestions forum, she receivede a PM from the fake JT this morning! Thus, nobody acted on my rather urgent request in a timely manner. Furthermore, according to Tim, the fake has sent out a total of 19 PMs. This is approaching the worst case scenario: Some psycho is out there masquerading as me sending PMs out to whoever he wants in my name.

Could some Admin immediately verify that both fake jt's abilility to send PMs has been disabled.

Furthermore, I'd really like to know who those PMs were sent to and what was said. If we can track this guy down, I will consider taking legal action against him.

-Jay

Partner philbox

Nov 1, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #48 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done all that you asked in a timely manner Jay, the only thing I cannot do is dredge up the PMs. The PMs were turned off this morning (my time so that would be afternoon your time the day before). I deactivated the accounts to ensure that there was no possibility of it being used ever again. The fact that I was not able to edit the profile to remove the name Jay was another reason to deactivate.

I`d love you to be able to prosecute this turkey Jay. I reviewed the thread on b.com and roughster is bragging how this person sent him prior warning that this was going to happen. I think that all the steps that Tim has taken will ensure that it will be very difficult for this to ever happen agian. Sorry it happened to you Jay. Even sorrier that it happened while I was away for the weekend. I woulda jumped on this sooner had I been around.

jt512

Nov 1, 2004, 3:43 AM
Post #49 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have done all that you asked in a timely manner Jay, the only thing I cannot do is dredge up the PMs. The PMs were turned off this morning (my time so that would be afternoon your time the day before). I deactivated the accounts to ensure that there was no possibility of it being used ever again. The fact that I was not able to edit the profile to remove the name Jay was another reason to deactivate.

I`d love you to be able to prosecute this turkey Jay. I reviewed the thread on b.com and roughster is bragging how this person sent him prior warning that this was going to happen. I think that all the steps that Tim has taken will ensure that it will be very difficult for this to ever happen agian. Sorry it happened to you Jay. Even sorrier that it happened while I was away for the weekend. I woulda jumped on this sooner had I been around.

Well, thanks for taking care of it Phil. Maybe when Tracy said that she got the PM this morning, what she meant is that she saw it this morning.

Thanks again.

-Jay

Partner philbox

Nov 1, 2004, 3:48 AM
Post #50 of 63 (418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too saw Tracys post and assumed that she was going to follow through on her stated aim of passing this on to the admins (not done yet). I`ll give her a prompt tomorrow.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook