RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

crackmd

Oct 28, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Question to Zion climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am heading to Zion Canyon the first week of November and would like to climb some of the long, classic free routes like Shune's Buttress, Iron Messiah and Monkeyfinger. Are these routes climbable this time of year assuming dry weather? If not I am open to suggestions for other climbs. Thanks.

brianinslc

Oct 28, 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Re: Question to Zion climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am heading to Zion Canyon the first week of November and would like to climb some of the long, classic free routes like Shune's Buttress, Iron Messiah and Monkeyfinger. Are these routes climbable this time of year assuming dry weather? If not I am open to suggestions for other climbs. Thanks.

Yep.

Hopefully the weather will clean up a bit by then...

Brian in SLC

jcinco

Oct 28, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Monkeyfinger is shady in the very early morning, and then in the sun the rest of the day that time of year. Should be perfect. We were fully comfortable on a Halloween ascent a few years back.

Shune's, however, will not see any sun in early November. Most likely will be frigid. 1st pitch is the crux, IMHO, so will likely be A0 in frigid morning conditions. Save it for Septmeber, May or early June.

Haven't done I.Messiah, though I think it gets lots of sun.

You should think about doing Touchstone. In the sun all day. Lots of people do it in big wall style, but it has lots of good free climbing with only a pitch and a half of A1 if you can climb 11+.

crackmd

Oct 28, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Have you guys climbed the short crack pitches around the base of Touchstone Wall? The guide makes them look pretty good; kind of like an Indian Creek crag. I am intrigued by your recommendation for Touchstone Wall. I always thought of that as a "big wall" style route which has never been my gig. If it's mostly free and has killer cracks then I'm way into it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook