Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Winter climbing at Wallstreet
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

esallen

Oct 29, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Winter climbing at Wallstreet  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Moab: Wall_Street)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last year we came to Moab in the spring and had perfect climbing weather. This year me and some buddies are planning a trip beginning November 5th (next weekend).

Do any of you guys know how the weather is down there this time of year? What time of day is the best for Wallstreet climbing this time of year? How is the winter climbing in Moab in general?

Last year we camped out near Gemini Bridges where we did some biking; where is the closest place to camp near Potash? Is there any good Bouldering nearby? I've heard of the Bid Bend area; how is it?

If someone could hook me up with some info I'd appreciate it!

Eric Allen

wlderdude

Oct 29, 2004, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Re: Winter climbing at Wallstreet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a gamble.

Moab is at a high elevation. Thus, winters can get cold and nasty, despite it being the desert. I have driven through some especially nasty snow storms many Thanksgiving weekends.

Yet, there are often warm and nice days in the winter months. At very least, plan on it getting very cold at night.

Wall Street is not a first choice cool weather spot. It is East facing and is in a large canyon. So, you get morning sun for a few hours (as the sun has to peak above the other side) and shade all afternoon. Also, with the sun moving further south, exposure will be even thinner on the East facing Wall Street. The best time for Wall Street are warm weather evenings.

You could get lucky and have warm sunny weather for several days before hand, thus making climbing in the shade pleasant.

I am sorry I don't know of any South facing climbing spots in Moab. I think Big Bend Bouldering area has some that face south. There is a camping area right there. All along the River the BLM mainitains camp grounds. This time of year, finding a site won't be hard. $10 for a site with a table and $5 a night with just a fire ring. Not an outstanding value, but other legal camping options are few.

I heard Utah got hit with lots of snow recently. Don't climb on the sandstone if it is wet (as I would guess it is and will be as the snow melts). It breaks apart and destroys climbs.

deerhunter

Oct 30, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Re: Winter climbing at Wallstreet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys should be just fine. I have spent the night on the wall in Zion for Thanksgiving. Some Wild Turkey and instand mashed potatoes. Just remember sandstone in moab arches area isnt as hard as Zion or RedRocks. When the sun is shining Moab still gets quite warm during afternoon hours. The best place to camp is probably 5 miles or so past the indian ruins and dinosaur tracks, take a right @ the Jug Handle arch. Drive to top of the plateau a few miles (dirt road) camp @ the edge of the cliff on top. There is sketchy jump across to pillar, at least 50ft. I saw a picture of Dan Osmand doing the same jump in a calendar. Rock on

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook