Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fixednut

Oct 26, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #26 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is my rack to Small? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just be happy w/ the way you are. Plastic surgery is costly and dangerous.

Well said.

climberpunk

Oct 26, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #27 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I started climbing in the seventies with a handfull of stoppers, three hexes, a hemp rope and 60 foot run outs. We all know I'm tough.

but seriously, you're probably fine on the cams, id spend the money on a second full set of nuts, and try to set as many of those as possible. Its lighter, more efficient $$$ wise, and an important skill to learn early. Maybe get a different set of nuts for the second [OP tri-nuts or scallop or offsets or something]

alberta_climberboy

Oct 26, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #28 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to have a rack as large as his!

maculated

Oct 26, 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #29 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a training gear sling, you might need a rack enhancement.

mattm

Oct 26, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #30 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mattm, you've got good suggestions (and some great NE classics under your belt), but I believe the original poster is just starting out with trad.
I doubt, and not offense to jebel, that he'll be hitting the Book or the Beast just yet. He'll probably have figured his rack by the time he's ready to lead them.

Doh - you are correct - I think I just read Cathedral, Rack and suggestions and got all giddy. Man that place was AWESOME.

dirtineye

Oct 26, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #31 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow you got some good advice.

All I would add is, pay the most attention to the people who steted that they have climbed in the ares you will be climbing in. It's hard to argue with a group of folks telling you they have climbed there and needed gear x,y, and z. Guides usually have this area rack thing doen pat.

The recommendations for more slings and longer slings (and possibly losing the sport draws for trad) are good for any area where you have long runouts and wandering routes. Extra slings come in handy and they are light. Having a few extra biners is a good thing too cause you never know when you or your partner will drop one.

A small but good thing to know is, if a route you want to do requires a particular piece of gear and you don't have it, get it. For example, P4 of the OR at Whitesides NC takes a 3.5 friend or a 3 Camelsnot (I'm thinking the number 5 Tri-cam will work there, but nobody seems to have one nor would they want to use it, LOL) to protect the start of the crux. IF you ever get there without one of those, you'll be sorry! Again your guide friends will be all over that stuff, so use their expertise.

jebel_andi

Oct 27, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #32 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you have a training gear sling, you might need a rack enhancement.

good one :D

the_pirate

Oct 27, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #33 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think I will get dubles of the bd cams and get some more slings for trad draws before I rock on over to cannon (I know there isn't much fixed pro there unlike cathedral and white horse).
You don't know this, because if you did, then you would know that a lot of the fixed pro on Cathedral has been pilfered in the past year. So don't expect to find pins where the guidebook says there are.

The rack you describe is not that different from what I would carry in NH (slings excluded). Get a second set of nuts for the finger cracks (cheapest of your gear options btw) and learn to use your hexes properly. That way you won't need to spend money on double sets of cams.

johnnyrambo9er

Oct 27, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #34 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you run out of pieces (YES)!!!!! Or you could just ask your girlfriend about the size of her previous (climbing) partners!

fixednut

Oct 27, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #35 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, are we or are we not talking about man-boobs here?

xcmntgeek

Oct 27, 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #36 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would recomend posting a picture of your rack so we can make sure you're not lying, you know what happens on the internet. Any other female climber is welcome to participate as well....

mmckinney

Oct 29, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #37 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

your rack is always too small!

dharmacase

Oct 29, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #38 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a beginning leader your rack should definatley suffice on cathedral and whitehorse. the beginners route on whitehorse is mostly bolts albiet a little run out (5.5) You should also check out Funhouse (5.7), toe crack (5.7+), and kiddie crack on cathedral. Stay away from thin air, unless you like the summer traffic jams of north conway, on cathedral.

the tricams will be usefull on white horse as the pockets are sometimes the only things that protect the slabs. If you dont have much anchor building expierence then stick to the climbs that either have double bolt anchors, fixed pins or tree belays. LEARN TO EQUALIZE ANCHORS. it cannot be stressed enough. double up on your nuts as the granite up there has great constrictions. Look out for pin theives. If you go to cannon you will probally do either moby grape or whitney-gilman. both easy but longer routes. You will have to build anchors. Get bd's# .4,.5,.75, 1, 2, 3.
and once again mo' nuts.

Partner cracklover

Oct 29, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #39 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dharmacase made some excellent route suggestions, but I must disagree with this one suggestion:

In reply to:
If you dont have much anchor building expierence then stick to the climbs that either have double bolt anchors, fixed pins or tree belays.

Trees fall over, bolts on trad climbs get chopped, pins fall out, fixed slings get tattered and torn. If you do not feel confident in your ability to create solid gear-based anchors, do not climb multi-pitch trad lines. Seriously, you could wind up in a world of trouble. Or, as dharmacase then said:

In reply to:
LEARN TO EQUALIZE ANCHORS. it cannot be stressed enough.

You should be functionally proficient in this skill before you leave the ground on any multipitch trad climb.

GO

P.S. - sorry for the thread drift.

bandycoot

Oct 29, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #40 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doubles aren't necessary for climbing. I lead single and multipitch with a full set of metolius cams, 5 metolius hexes, and a set of metolius nuts for quite a long time. As I moved to harder cracks with sustained sections that are the same size I needed doubles and rarely triples.

That said, rack size is inversely proportional to two things:

1. Confidence in ability to climb a specific crack

2. Experience

Due to #1, if you find a short easy crack you have more than enough gear to lead it safely (if you know how).

Josh

trapdoor

Oct 30, 2004, 6:11 AM
Post #41 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be willing to lead with the gear you have. But you cluld get a second #1 camalot, i feel like i always use that piece.

esallen

Nov 1, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #42 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like if you have the money, it's always better to be over-prepared. I started leading with about the same amount of gear as you, but I still purchased a cam or two a month until I felt like I had more than enough gear for most of the routes in my area.

In addition to financial constraints, one should also consider the length and difficulty of the route he or she intends to climb. You can safely do a 10 pitch 5.5 probably with nothing more than a set of chocks. However, if you are pushing your limits while leading a long 5.11 crack system or something, you will want to place gear frequently.

Living in Utah, I'm not at all familiar with the routes in your area, but I know that if you took a trip to Indian Creek, City of Rocks, Little Cottonwood, Wallstreet or someplace like that, your rack would probably be considered inadequate by most people's standard. It sounds like your rack is pretty great for most the routes in your area.

You know the climbs you like to do. You can study up on them in your guidebook and know what routes are safely climbable with the gear you have, and which routes you will have to dig up some more SLCDs for. Creating a "good rack" is a completely subjective matter.

jaybro

Mar 26, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #43 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeb
as I'm sure you know by now, that rack is a good starting point. Racks vary by areas. You'll have partners, you'll learn what else you need in your area. Mainly just get out there and climb.
I own over a hundred cams, many types in many sizes, yet, when I climb at indian Creek I'm always borrowing.
Jay-started climbing before the seventies,before nuts (imagine 13 yr olds pounding pins on desperate 5.6's) but post hemp (for ropes anyway) but gear is just a tool, use it, don't be it-bro

lucas_timmer

Mar 26, 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #44 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"All big gear does is feed big egos."
If I didn't already had a original signature, than this would be it.Something like this:
"All big gear does is feed big egos." -Jay Young-

tanner

Mar 27, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #45 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

loose the hexes and the tricams and all the sport draws and you set for most routes

kpj240789

Mar 27, 2005, 2:03 AM
Post #46 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:)

Are you retarted? How the hell do you edit a smiley face twice.

lucas_timmer

Mar 27, 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #47 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
:)

Are you retarted? How the hell do you edit a smiley face twice.
I had to laugh so hard when I saw your and his posts, having to edit a smiley twice...

jackhammer

Mar 27, 2005, 2:26 PM
Post #48 of 48 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is fine.

I lead Trad, and my rack is still smaller than you...in fact, I'm kind of getting a little rack envy. :(

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook