Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
santa fe bouldering
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

drdeath

May 22, 2002, 9:15 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

santa fe bouldering  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where is the best place to do some bouldering near or in Santa Fe?

Thanks

clmbnski

May 29, 2002, 2:02 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

santa fe bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is suppose to be a really good new bouldering area up in the Jemez. Only problem is I dont know where it is exactly Im sure someone at a climbing shop in Santa Fe would know what I am talking about.

cyberhobo

Sep 15, 2002, 2:53 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been asking around the climbing shops in Sante Fe this weekend and have found no beta. One guy I suspected might have known about an area that he was keeping secret. I did get directions to a spot with "some boulder & TR problems": go N on I25, take the Valencia exit, get back on I25 S, go 1.0 mile to a dirt parking lot & hike up Deer Creek trail.

nilepoc

Oct 20, 2002, 11:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to camp4.com look at their bouldering gallery, in the comments section are some directions to the jemez stuff. I posted the pictures about 8 months ago. the place is stelar.

the stuff i wanted to find, before i moved out east, is the new sand stone bouldering by glorieta or out by pecos, not sure which.

wyattearp

Sep 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

You want to Know where The Bouldering is Around Santa Fe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello everybody out there who is looking for bouldering in Santa fe New Mexico and beyond. You are allin luck beacuse Santa fe and surrounding areas have so much climbing its unreal. The main areas are all on I25 heading towards pecos etc... The first spot that everyone should check out is called "Apache Canyon" head towards pecos, exit on the valencia exit turn around and start heading back to Santa Fe, in about a mile there will be a huge sign that says" Apache Canyon 1 mile", quickly get off the road and park in that dirt parking lot. Hike the trail up the canyon for about 5 min anbd you will come up uopn an amazing sandstone overhang with house size boulders all along the hills. THere are probably about 100+ problems just in this area and this is the only the beginning as far as spots. Some other great areas that have recently started seeing development are all located on the Roy Mesa. Take I25 again towards pecos, but when you come up to the Apache Canyon sign 1 mile(heading towards Pecos) exit and follow the adjacent road back about 1 mile. Follow this road as if you are goin up to the roy meas. You will soon reach about the top of hill, and the pavement will end you will round a corner and come up on a praking lot to your right. This area was slightly developed this summer by myself and some friends. IT is called Cactus Heaven because there is a crazy amount a cacti spread throughout the area. BUt this is an amzing spot, its more a cliffline, with plents of TR potential and lead climbs as well. Problems can range in all sorts of difficulty from V0- V10 (potential). Another spot that requires a truck to get to is another 20 mins down the road at a Place called the Grotto. THis is the mecca of Santa Fe bouldering with an overhang on it about 100 fett long 30 feet deep and tall over 25foot. This area alone has 100+++ problems ranging from V0- TO potential V15 and V16. For REAL. so If you think you are the man and you can climb hard then this is the spot, but its so hard to get to you really need to be shown the spot or get in contact with me or my crew I hope this helps everyone looking for some Climbing because New Mexico is a mecca in its own.

Wyatt

sonso45

Sep 29, 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Re: You want to Know where The Bouldering is Around Santa Fe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a great photo of someone bouldering near Ponderosa, NM. I wonder if you have bouldered there, how much is there, and if it is just east of Albuquerque? M

wyattearp

Sep 29, 2003, 1:57 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummmm yeah I know of the same boulder you are thinking of, was it in climbing and had Timmy "the chipper/gluer" Fairfield climbing at the tip. Kinda shaped like a huge , square house. Yeah as soon as I saw that problem and that boulder me and a couple friends went looking but we ended up not finding much. Timmy found the area i assume or has just gone searching and found it, thats what I have learned you just need to hike up canyons and look at anyplace that has rock and you soon you will find your own area. There are some really nice spots up in the Jemez area , as well as some nice limestone crags in Las Vegas and Timmpys "Temple" in Placitas, although both of these spots have been heavely manufactured. At Las V egas hold have been reinforced by lots of glue and few manufactured holds. At the Temple, timmy simply went uup there and filled in jugs so other climbers couldent do the root but on the hold he wants. ITs an appealing spot becasuse it isnt too hot and he has brought up some matresses and a homemade ladder etc.... I wouls suggest to search the badlands of New Mexico to find the spots, in and around Santa Fe this summer my Friend Jordan and I developed 4 good spots with a crazy abundance of rock, as to the amount of problems in the area's are at least 350++ ansd these spots are all within Santa Fe City Limits. After I moved to Hawaii a few months ago I have been staying in contact with my climbing bro, he has told me of 3 or 4 new spots that he has found that blows anything we have seen out of the water. Boulders that are massive and I mean massive, he also explained to me a spot he found hiking with some friends, not quite sure I will ask him again, anyways this spot is fuckin perfect according to him a HUGE field with various wildflowers growing about and a group of tractor(semi) size granite boulders all with pristine white faces. He said he nearly shit his pants when he saw this place. Anyways New Mexico could quite possibly be the next mecca of climbing(bouldering) anyways. Together I have gathered many hours of climbing footage and sends throughout the summer. I have now been macking a epic bouldering film that hopefully I can send to Climbing etc... and hope they do an article on it, or better yet get Sharma and Nicole out there to pull on what Jordan and I assume to be at least V15 and a traverse that if sent would be an ungoddlly accomplisment by anybody. So its an invitation to anybody to pull hard. GEt back to me and spred the word everybody!!!!!!!!!!

Wyatt

jeremiah

Sep 30, 2003, 1:38 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo there Wyatt,
You got any topos to these boulders? I'd love to go check em out when I get a chance. I'm stuck in Los Alamos till Feb. and would love some good bouldering without driving 3 hours to Soccorro. Any more info besides the directions you posted would be greatly appreciated. Also, can anyone tell me how to get to Last Chance near Carlsbad?? I heard this is supposed to be some awesome stuff. Thanks! Jeremiah

wyattearp

Oct 4, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo I dont have any topos, my buddy Jordan who found them is going to hike to all the spots, all the ill spots in And arouns Santa fe and take some photos. More Info will come soon plus directions to amazing spots like the Grotto and Roy mesa megaland. The playground as we like to call it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook