RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

crackaddict

May 29, 2002, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

NO Rain= NO climbing in AZ
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yep, the time has come that this state is shutting down outdoor activities.

Sorry but you can't climb here till we get a whole bunch of rain!

Because of our drought all the forest are closed down here in Arizona.
A very sad time!
Here is another post to see what is going on

http://rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10435&forum=54

In the last month we have had 5 forest fires occur. One is still burning. All were caused by carelessness of people.

People just don't get it!
PUT YOUR FIRES OUT !
DON'T FLIP YOU BUTTS OUT OF YOUR CAR!
AND OBEY ALL FOREST WARNINGS YOU FREAKIN IDIOTS!

So now we just pray for rain!

And ROAD TRIP!!!

[ This Message was edited by: crackaddict on 2002-05-28 20:29 ]

traddad

May 29, 2002, 2:00 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

NO Rain= NO climbing in AZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just sat in a hotel in Tucson for three days watching Mt. Lemmon burn. Sad...Very sad. The weather wanks here in the department say that we are in a 17 year drought cycle too!
While I blame those bleedingly stupid azzholes who "forget" to put their fires out or are too drunk to use their ash tray, I also fault the fire suppression policy of the Forest Service and all of the administrations since the Yellowstone fire who have cut funds and programs earmarked for controled burns and fuel thinning.

Traddad

clmbnski

May 29, 2002, 2:37 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is the whole southwest that is in the drought. Almost every forest in NM is closed too. I have also heard of this so called 20 year drought. hopefully it is wrong. but the weather has been strange for the past few years.
Global Warming?

spank_spank

May 29, 2002, 2:48 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sucks, but I can understand why state is shutting down outdoor activities. Not just climbing, but hiking, biking, and all other activiy. The main reason is because people are irresponsible for their action. A couple of years ago, didn't a good portion of New Mexico forest burn down. I can't remember if they figure out how the fire started. I am sure they do not want a repeat of this.

Hope for rain.

FYI - I think Sitting Bull Falls is still open. It is worth going if you can climb solid 5.11.

killclimbz

May 29, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is also very dry here in Colorado and we are having drought problems. People still don't get it. I was camping at Shelf and several signs were up stating that there was a fire ban. So what happens, some idiots are having a fire. I wasn't in cell range so I went over and wrote down their license plates. At the very least if the worst happened I would've been able to provide the authorities with the information to find those who were responsible.
We haven't had any forest closures yet, but they are coming if we don't get any rain. We've already had three bad fires and something like 400 others. This is shaping up to be a bad year. The water restrictions happening in a lot of towns sucks also.

geo_climber_18

May 29, 2002, 3:49 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say that we should still climb. The only thing is we need to smack people upside the head if we see them doing stuppid stuff that could start fires. Don't stop the climbers from having their fun, just stop the people who would prevent us!

hendicrimpin

May 29, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NNOOOO!!! i just graduated from college and was planning to move to AZ in early september, the whole point was to climb! Should i dump this idea now? or do you guys think they will re-open the parks in a few months? Does this happen much out there...b/c this sounds extreme. sorry if i babbled, but i'm just really disappointed. PRAY FOR RAIN

climberdee

May 29, 2002, 4:49 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hendicrimpin...

If you aren't moving until September, then you might be in luck. Hopefully, the late July/August monsoon will kick in and provide some much needed rainfall and reopening of the forests. Here is a great link to check the status of forest closures and restrictions in the Southwest:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire/

bmsullivan

May 29, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is very sad....Arizona has such great places to climb. I just got back from 6 days up in Yosemite and I have to tell you, it's just people in general. I kept coming back from climbs/hikes with pockets full of other peoples trash. People seem to take city habits to the wild.

Here is another link for AZ to check on closures.

http://www.azfireinfo.com/

crackaddict

May 29, 2002, 9:12 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the sound of it.
Seems like everyone is suffering this year.

Hey hendicrimpin,
Still move here!
This is only temporary!
If we get a good monsoon season the ban will be lifted. The weather is weird here. It might be dry now but some how it always balances out.
We go through a fire ban at the begining of summer every year. Then by the middle of summer it is lifted after the monsoon season starts. But this is the first time since I can remember that they actually shut down the forest. Like Brain says it because of peoples lack outdoor education and city habbits that are making this happen. So don't abondon your plans just yet. There is so much climbing here all year round. This is actually the first time this year that I have not had the option to go climb.
Still prayin!
Crack.

cragchica

Jun 2, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree...

Arizona is a fanatastic for anybody who loves the outdoors... especially Tucson!

Yesterday was the first day in over 17 years in Arizona that any thoughts to the contrary have crossed my mind. I sat in my house in the middle of a miserably hot summer afternoon, looking alternately at my dusty mountain bike and the smoke billowing from Mt Lemmon and honestly wished I were somewhere else. Mt. Lemmon is just about the only thing that makes the Tucson heat tolerable in the summer... it's our only escape, a cool place to climb, hike, mt. bike, trail run... whatever the only thing important is that it's cool. Now it glows at night!
I pray for rain and try not pity myself too much...

cragchica

Jun 2, 2002, 2:42 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry... that last post wasn't supposed to be so depressing.

There really is a ton of great climbing here, and hiking, mt. biking, canyoneering... Arizona is the outdoorsman's paradise! It has more public land than just about any place I know, which means all the more to wander and roam (and of course climb!).
Tucson is super-friendly and there is (usually) plenty of awesome climbing within a couple hours.

But for now... yes, let's ROAD TRIP!!!

crackaddict

Jun 2, 2002, 3:03 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gosh that first post almost Sniff! Sniff! made me cry !!!!

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! LET IT RAIN!!!!!

Yes my truck is in for some serious mileage!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook