RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

zendavestas

Nov 2, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1171 views)
Shortcut

MIXED and ICE climbing in Europe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello
i am curious about mixed climbing areas in Switzerland and france (and anywhere else that has it) as i will be there this december. i am from alaska and spent alot of last winter in southern europe, i cant wait to go back and find some ice. and isnt it great how worthless the dollar is!!!?
what up new president!

if you have any info on mixed areas, let me know.

thanks
Traveler Terpening
Homer Alaska

cantbuymefriends

Nov 2, 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Re: MIXED and ICE climbing in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

La Grave is a great place for ice climbing, skiing, and just being in the mountains :D :D :D . In south of France, between Grenoble and Briancon. (Or between Chamonix and Nice :wink: )

Lots of multi-pitch, the longest up to 400 or 500 meters, I think. Topo-guide for winter and summer climbing, and couloir skiing(!) is available on location.

A bit hard to find info on the net. thou'. And what is, is mostly about skiing, but here's a place to start: http://www.la-grave.com/english/meije.php

Otherwise, if you want to go up north, Rjukan in Norway is a good place. But the days may be a little bit in the short side in December...
http://www.mountain-activity.no/

PS. These places are, as far as I know, mostly for ice (as in WI) climbing. I don't know how they are for Mixed.

gritstoner

Nov 2, 2004, 1:01 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you could always try some scottish winter routes. i normally head to the cairngorms for the new year. but there is the ben nevis range aswell.

http://www.sais.gov.uk/latest_forecast/

gives you the snow forcast for the cairngorms and glen coe. it hasnt started to snow there yet, so it will still have last seasons forcast up.

hema

Nov 2, 2004, 1:06 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cogne, Italy (near Courmayer) is also a good bet for ice and classic mixed lines (Stevie Haston lines, like The Empire Strikes Back - never repeated in its whole lenght - etc).

Karndstadsfsg or something on the lines of that in Swizerland has also some good ice and mixed lines (look at BD's european cite for the spelling, sa they are having an ice-climbing fest there every year).

As stated Rjukan, Norwey is mostly ice, but some mixed lines do excist, the free topo can be downloaded from here as an PDF.

Also there are some other good places as well, but I just can't remember them (or where to get more info).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook