First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 2, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #1 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Post Election/Voting Updates Here
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm interested to hear what's going on at the polls and in the news throughout the country today with regards to the election - If you want, please post your thoughts on anything you had happen at the polls(especially if it's funny and not politically related in the tiniest bit!!!) and any breaking news.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #2 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Re: Post Election/Voting Updates Here [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I arrived at the poll 5 minutes after the opening, and was about the 100th in line. It took 15 minutes to get to the building entrance, where I looked back and saw the line behind me now had about 200 people. Gald I didn't decide to wait until 5pm..... A person made a comment that she'd been voting every election since 1968, and arriving first thing, and had never seen such a heavy turnout.

It was crowded in the poll rooms - I can't imagine what it will be like at the heavy periods.....

When I went to pull the lever to start my vote tabulation, it wouldn't budge! I called the assistant and he went 'round back and pulled on some pin or something, and then the lever pulled very easily.....I didn't like the fact that the voting machine had to be futzed with in order to register my vote.....At all.

Partner tgreene

Nov 2, 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #3 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We use pen/paper ballotts here, and then feed them into a scanning device... I was #19 to vote!

Partner sauron

Nov 2, 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #4 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a victim of modern electronic voting...

At least it's not a Diebold machine.

- d.

bumblie

Nov 2, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #5 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife showed up at 6:20am (10 minutes before the polls opened) and the line was 100 yards long.

We hope it won't be that long this afternoon.

cerikpete

Nov 2, 2004, 2:13 PM
Post #6 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

News reports here this morning had some interviews with people who were running the polls, and they also mentioned that this was the largest turnout in decades.

Any bets on if this will be decided by tomorrow morning?

edge

Nov 2, 2004, 2:18 PM
Post #7 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see the school where we vote from my workshop window. I am going to wait until it looks less busy before I walk over.

This will be the first time in 17 years of marriage where my Presidential vote doesn't cancel out my wife's vote.

cerikpete

Nov 2, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #8 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://slate.msn.com/id/2108751/

monkey_toes

Nov 2, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #9 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was absolutely packed this morning. I voted at roughly the same time in 2000 and I would say that there was at least a 50% increase in the size of the queue this time round.

Not that it is very scientific.

Partner j_ung

Nov 2, 2004, 3:31 PM
Post #10 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Were that the final tabulation, you know what it would mean, don't you?

abouttopeel

Nov 2, 2004, 3:40 PM
Post #11 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Oregon we have to vote by mail, I turned my ballot in last week.

Partner coylec

Nov 2, 2004, 3:40 PM
Post #12 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

voted by mail. i'm just holed up waiting on returns ... and the daily show.

coylec

cerikpete

Nov 2, 2004, 3:48 PM
Post #13 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:
Given the decline in support for Nader, we doubt that Bush's vote shares in Florida and Iowa will suffice this year. There's a good chance that his vote shares in Wisconsin and New Mexico won't suffice, either. So while our comparison of the candidates' poll standings yields an Electoral College tie, we predict separately, based on the incumbent's vote share, that Kerry will win between 276 and 291 electoral votes.

Interesting stuff.

Partner j_ung

Nov 2, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #14 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:
Given the decline in support for Nader, we doubt that Bush's vote shares in Florida and Iowa will suffice this year. There's a good chance that his vote shares in Wisconsin and New Mexico won't suffice, either. So while our comparison of the candidates' poll standings yields an Electoral College tie, we predict separately, based on the incumbent's vote share, that Kerry will win between 276 and 291 electoral votes.

Interesting stuff.

Indeed.

abouttopeel

Nov 2, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #15 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm almost afraid to say it but I think there is hope for the left!

Could today be our Independence Day?

prufrock

Nov 2, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #16 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Interesting stuff.

I am predicting an easy Kerry win, with the possibility of 300+ electoral votes for Kerry. Too many things are working against Bush today, and I have yet to hear any good news for Bush. Maybe the margin won't be so big, that's me being an optimist, but a Bush win is seeming more and more unlikely.

Huge turnout? Check (high turnout favors the challenger). Revved up minorities, other groups that heavily favor Kerry? Check. Heavy tilt in absentee/early voting towards Kerry? Check (these are votes that usually trend Republican). Kerry doing well in (very) preliminary polling in battleground states? Check. People at the Corner, over at the National Review Online, panicking? Check. :wink:

Despite the months of predictions of a nailbiter, I don't see it happening. Every one I have spoken to has indicated the longest lines they remember at the voting booth. There is no way that is good for Bush.

My Grandpa told me today he wishes he could get his absentee ballot back, so that he could change his vote from Bush to Nader. My Grandpa is the most conservative man I know: Mormon, solid Republican, probably never voted for a non-Republican in his life.

I can't wait for poll-closing on the East Coast so I can find out if I am delusional or not.

My wife and I early voted last week, and we had to wait an hour, for crying out loud.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 2, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #17 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Every one I have spoken to has indicated the longest lines they remember at the voting booth. There is no way that is good for Bush.

God Bless AMERICA. We, the people, are speaking today, and the message seems to be coming through loud and clear.

jumpingrock

Nov 2, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #18 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Every one I have spoken to has indicated the longest lines they remember at the voting booth. There is no way that is good for Bush.

God Bless AMERICA. We, the people, are speaking today, and the message seems to be coming through loud and clear.

Don't count your chickens.

abouttopeel

Nov 2, 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #19 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, at least in this election the left is on the side of hope and the right just wants to scare everyone to the polls. :x

Evil Doer, Evil Doer...repeat 10 times.

jumpingrock

Nov 2, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #20 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, at least in this election the left is on the side of hope and the right just wants to scare everyone to the polls. :x

Evil Doer, Evil Doer...repeat 10 times.

So is that like: Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer

or

Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer, Evil Doer,Evil Doer, Evil Doer,Evil Doer, Evil Doer,Evil Doer, Evil Doer

?

(btw go Kerry!)

mbg

Nov 2, 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #21 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Recent exit poll status:

In reply to:
5:40 p.m.

CO Bush 50 Kerry 48
FL Kerry 51 Bush 49
IA Kerry 50 Bush 49
MI Kerry 51 Bush 47
MN Kerry 54 Bush 44
NV tied
NH Kerry 53 Bush 45
NJ Kerry 54 Bush 44
NM Kerry 50 Bush 48
OH Kerry 51 Bush 49
OR still too early to get accurate reading
PA Kerry 53 Bush 46
WI Kerry 51 Bush 48
*** There appear be problems with exits in the following states that could be tipping numbers toward kerry: MN, NH, VT, PA, VA, CT, DE. described only as "serious" issues we're looking at. so i would not put too much faith in those results.

petsfed

Nov 2, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #22 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to the polls today. First time fulfilling my civic duty. Everyone there had the option of voting early (save a stamp, fill out and turn in your absentee ballot at the courthouse), but like everybody else, I didn't. It was a celebration of democracy and procrastination in action. My friend Jaremy (who comes off as a pothead, but hasn't toked in years) said (I wish I was making this up) "That's today? I thought it was wednsday!" Classic. Simply classic. Better to have a close race with 70% of those elgible to vote voting than say 50% (like last time).

Fitting?

petsfed

Nov 2, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #23 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also...

prufrock

Nov 2, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #24 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Recent exit poll status:

Be wary of these exit polls. They could just be disinformation, for all we know. Or they could be the real thing leaked early.

But if they are real, exit polls this early are dicey.

If they have resemblance to reality, Kerry is sitting pretty. But is too early to know if they are real yet.

As for the high turn-out, it is a good day for America. It doesn't matter who wins -- any day the great majority of Americans can be cajoled into deciding the fate of their democracy is a good day.

It is also kind of sad that one of the most economically and technically advanced nations can't have 60-70% of its populace vote without multi-hour lines. There is work to do there.

curt

Nov 2, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #25 of 64 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything I have seen so far looks good for Kerry.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook