Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

cagdbikeclimb

Nov 19, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #51 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Re: Statute of Limitations for nOObs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone who hasn't climbed as long as jt512 is a noob.

kjohnsonatc

Nov 19, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #52 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
who cares if you're a nOOb or not. It doesn't really matter, we were all nOObs at one time or another. Why all the hate? We should be trying to encourage each other not tear down. The only time any one should get concerned about calling someone a nOOb is if they are endangering your life, their life or someone else's life. That's when they need to be corrected, and educated. I've been climbing for seven years. I started in sport did a little trad and now am into bouldering. The only climbing i've doen in the last 2 years has been on my home wall. I prefer not to lead, i don't think i'm at that level....maybe i never will be....my concern is for others safety, and my main goal is to just have fun climbing. Call me a nOOb....go ahead....i don't care......I've been called worse by people more important that you.

The voice of the offended nOOb... :lol:

my point is made.......your opinion of me means nothing......i'm successful at my job and have a great loving family.....i enjoy climbing....what you say about me, means nothing in my life.....sorry.

curt

Nov 19, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #53 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As long as jt512 has?

I've climbed much longer than that n00b. :lol:

Curt

iamthewallress

Nov 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #54 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As long as jt512 has?

At some level of experience (ahem...age), this probably becomes a compliment.

Allow me...

In reply to:
At some level of experience (ahem...age), this put-down becomes a compliment.

In reply to:
stfu, nOOb!

You're welcome. :lol:

leinosaur

Nov 19, 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #55 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why all the hate?

Let's not think of it as hate - STFU is emphatic, yes, but in a guild system it's important to remember that experience talks and nOObitude walks.

You're getting some experience in being told to STFU and it does matter or you wouldn't reply. Say hi to your family, be glad to know you're a nOOb rather than thinking you know it all, and spend way more time reading than writing authoritative-sounding posts, for a long time.

At least until you've been told to STFU as many . . . .

OK I'll STFU

curt

Nov 19, 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #56 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

As long as jt512 has?

At some level of experience (ahem...age), this probably becomes a compliment.

Allow me...

In reply to:
At some level of experience (ahem...age), this put-down becomes a compliment.

In reply to:
stfu, nOOb!

You're welcome. :lol:

It is "n00b" not "nOOb" you n00b. Geez. Haha.

Curt

ctclimbz

Nov 19, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #57 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Curt's distinction. It may suck to be a noob, but taking newbies climbing is one of the most rewarding aspects of climbing for me. Showing beginners the ropes reminds me of why I enjoy climbing so much, and seeing the enthusiasm beginner climbers have for the sport just reinforces my own passions.

However, gumbies friggin scare me. Sketchy climbers are like sketchy drivers, they can make the experience horrible for everybody around them. Much better to be a careful noob than a reckless gumby.

Partner angry

Nov 20, 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #58 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's just something Kodosian about this thread.

Do I get tarpitted for the mere mention?

oklahoma

Nov 20, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #59 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sounds like a real life to me - I head out at every opportunity too: nevertheless, you, me & "oklahoma" should just face it. We're nOObs! Most especially because we're posting in a thread about nOObitude.

If you've been to the Wichitas I hope you noticed that not all Okies are as gumbified as "oklahoma" was being there. Don't know if he thinks he represents the whole state or what, but it's not like he lives in the Narrows or anything - he's got a 45 minute drive from beautiful Bartlesville to do his bouldering, so maybe he's sensitive about the no-rock-town issue.

Actually, you should come to Bartlesville before you say that. I have a 5 minute drive to boulder. If I don't like that spot, I have a 10 minute drive. If that spot gets old, I drive 15 to another spot. I can boulder or top rope at all three locations. I have a 30 minute drive to skiatook. If I want a little more variety, I can drive to keetonville and that's maybe 35 minutes. Sometimes I go to chandler but only if they are having an event or something. I climb pretty much everyday unless it's too wet. Then I'll go to Tulsa to climb in the gym but only if I have time. Or if it's cross country season than I only climb on the weekends.

I was merely stating that even if he climbs every weekend for 2 years, he still climbs 2 days a week. Plenty of people get 6 or 7 days a week. But driving that much every weekend takes some kind of awesomeness.

And I apologize if my name offends anyone. I was drunk when I was signing up and I thought I was typing in the location box.

usafcadet

Nov 20, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #60 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ok so if ive been climbing less than 2 years (which i have) but have more hours climbing in less than 2 years than most people with 8years am i still a noob? i have over 15 first ascents(not including the attempts and projects im still workin), ive put up lots of new trad(nothin over 10a yet), aid(to a4) , ice (lead 4+) and alpine routes. and my home town is in the flatlands... still a noob? see i consider a noob to be someone who has/is nerver taken a fall under 10m, clips bolts all day and never aspires to be a"trad climber" cause its "dangerous"(not really climbing if you ask me!) someone who s never put in a sketchy piton,(just 1) then belayed from it. nver been caught in a blizzard well above the tree line. never run out a climb so far that any fall would be a factr2 death plunge, never jugged or fixed lines, rigged a haul, or even used a talon hook to be a noob! fuk years climbing experience determins youre place. some people can climb for years and still be 2 scared for me to not consider then NEW! most people that climb will forever be new to the sport because most are ill-informed and scared to trey to hard. 90% of what i know is self taught, from books and real experience.

Okay, I have been on RC.com for a few month now, and I usually just see what other people are saying than offering my opinion, but the above quote is the stupidist thing I have seen so far. Even someone asking what a belay device does is less retarded. Thanks.

curt

Nov 20, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #61 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is clearly no statute of limitations for n00bs. Nor, as far as I can tell, is there any maximum bag limit. Whether or not one actually needs a license to harvest them, is something I will have to look into. :wink:

Curt

climbsomething

Nov 21, 2004, 7:19 AM
Post #62 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wallress' Corollary to Ben's Theorem:

In reply to:
However, I think that referencing book-learning as your evidence of knowing something well is unconditionally nOOb.

climbsomething

Nov 21, 2004, 7:22 AM
Post #63 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I love it...smart, very smart. I would say in a way we are all still "nOObs" to a degree. The difference is when you meet a gumby and you think you should beat their face in...you're a nOOb. A "nOOb" is when you meet a gumby and you have an automatic reflex to take your #4 Cam and slam it down their throat (literally, or metaphorically).
What?

benpullin

Nov 21, 2004, 7:22 AM
Post #64 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I read that in a book, once...

benpullin

Nov 21, 2004, 7:23 AM
Post #65 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wallress' Corollary to Ben's Theorem:

In reply to:
However, I think that referencing book-learning as your evidence of knowing something well is unconditionally nOOb.

I think I read that in a book, once...

benpullin

Nov 21, 2004, 7:40 AM
Post #66 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I love it...smart, very smart. I would say in a way we are all still "nOObs" to a degree. The difference is when you meet a gumby and you think you should beat their face in...you're a nOOb. A "nOOb" is when you meet a gumby and you have an automatic reflex to take your #4 Cam and slam it down their throat (literally, or metaphorically).
What?

It sounds a lot funnier in Japanese.

simplistic

Nov 21, 2004, 7:48 AM
Post #67 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not read the plethora of posts on this topic, so this may have been stated already, and if it has please excuse its redundnace. I remember reading a quote once that said that we should climb every day like it is our first day. I have always remebered this because of the caution and slow mental proccess that I used on my first day and every subsequent day. I was certainly a noob then and I will always be a noob, because it keeps my mind sharp, open, and most importantly it keeps me stoked on climbing. I think we are all noobs because the learning never stops for me. If I think I may know more than another person and then use that to categorize them and myself, the spirit of climbing would be lost for me. Praise the noobs.

cgailey

Nov 21, 2004, 9:14 AM
Post #68 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I did not read the plethora of posts on this topic, so this may have been stated already, and if it has please excuse its redundnace. I remember reading a quote once that said that we should climb every day like it is our first day. I have always remebered this because of the caution and slow mental proccess that I used on my first day and every subsequent day. I was certainly a noob then and I will always be a noob, because it keeps my mind sharp, open, and most importantly it keeps me stoked on climbing. I think we are all noobs because the learning never stops for me. If I think I may know more than another person and then use that to categorize them and myself, the spirit of climbing would be lost for me. Praise the noobs.

Now I have warm fuzzies.... :P

simplistic

Nov 21, 2004, 9:27 AM
Post #69 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

may they keep you warm at the cold belay.
S

androids

Nov 22, 2004, 5:20 AM
Post #70 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
ok so if ive been climbing less than 2 years (which i have) but have more hours climbing in less than 2 years than most people with 8years am i still a noob? i have over 15 first ascents(not including the attempts and projects im still workin), ive put up lots of new trad(nothin over 10a yet), aid(to a4) , ice (lead 4+) and alpine routes. and my home town is in the flatlands... still a noob? see i consider a noob to be someone who has/is nerver taken a fall under 10m, clips bolts all day and never aspires to be a"trad climber" cause its "dangerous"(not really climbing if you ask me!) someone who s never put in a sketchy piton,(just 1) then belayed from it. nver been caught in a blizzard well above the tree line. never run out a climb so far that any fall would be a factr2 death plunge, never jugged or fixed lines, rigged a haul, or even used a talon hook to be a noob! fuk years climbing experience determins youre place. some people can climb for years and still be 2 scared for me to not consider then NEW! most people that climb will forever be new to the sport because most are ill-informed and scared to trey to hard. 90% of what i know is self taught, from books and real experience.

Okay, I have been on RC.com for a few month now, and I usually just see what other people are saying than offering my opinion, but the above quote is the stupidist thing I have seen so far. Even someone asking what a belay device does is less retarded. Thanks.

hey thanks!
if you were actually a climber i might take that the wrong way, but since you cant speak from experience im sure you have every right to misjudge my post!, dude i suspect that if you had to choose between someone like myself who guides proffessional, climbs 5days a week and some sport climber who says"aid climbing whats that?" you hopefully would choose the sport climber cuz id rather not climb with people who do have a clue!

bandycoot

Nov 22, 2004, 5:35 AM
Post #71 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Androids' ego [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

G7

STFU n00b!

curt

Nov 22, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #72 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

hey thanks!
if you were actually a climber i might take that the wrong way, but since you cant speak from experience im sure you have every right to misjudge my post!, dude i suspect that if you had to choose between someone like myself who guides proffessional, climbs 5days a week and some sport climber who says"aid climbing whats that?" you hopefully would choose the sport climber cuz id rather not climb with people who do have a clue!

Your nonsensical ramblings are completely incoherent. Hopefully, you do climb and guide better than you spell and punctuate--but I doubt it.

Curt

reno

Nov 22, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #73 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My (worthless) opinion:

If you get to a belay ledge, and you can set up four different SERENE anchor systems, none of them using a cordlette, you've moved beyond nOOb status.

No, two clove hitches to two bolts doesn't count.

Sidebar: Why are people so embarassed to be a newbie? Heck, I've been climbing for almost 7 years, and I *still* call myself a nOOb.

There are people out there who have upwards of 5 times the experience (years... 20 times or more the experience in actual volume of rock climbed.)

I've had the good fortune of meeting some of these folks (Bob D'Antonio, Don Mellor, Bob vanBelle, Jim Donini, Clyde Soles, etc.) and I ask them questions, I listen to them, and I learn from them.

Being a noobie is actually a good thing. That way, when you fall, fail, bawl, or bail, you can just say "Hey, cut me a break... I'm a freaking nOOb."

rockbiter

Nov 22, 2004, 7:19 AM
Post #74 of 80 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ditch the whole "noob" concept. Elitism is all it is. Funny thing is, it seems to be propogated mostly by those with less experience. Everyone's a "noob" at something. Who cares how long someone has been climbing or at what level they climb - it's all in the attitude.

Amen to that. Seems that if you really care so much about being "experienced" and not a "noob" then you need to stop and ask yourself why youre climbing. Is it for you? Or because you want others to think youre awesome sauce as you climb your incredible routes and FAs

perp

Nov 22, 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #75 of 80 (5692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

hey thanks!

Well said! :lol:

Also, how did you come to the conclusion that usafcadet is not a climber? Is it because he doesn't like your post or because he's only been on RC.com for a few months? In your opinion, how much time does one have to spend on RC.com before before one can consider oneself a climber?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook