Forums: Climbing Information: General:
are u a climbing bum? What qualifies someone as one?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

crackmd

Nov 16, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #26 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Re: are u a climbing bum? What qualifies someone as one? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I view the question very simply. A "bum" is someone who spends most their time on theirs. They do not seek challenges nor growth, they just sit. Anybody, IMHO, who chooses to spend their time challenging themselves in pursuit of personal bests whether it be for dollars to support or a family or scaling the rock is not a bum because they are gettin something done. The bums are the ones that talk the talk but never walk the walk. The climber is just that, a climber. The bum is the one that pertends to be a climber but is really a bum. There must be lawyer bums, and doctor bums, and teacher bums, and so on. If a person climbs all the time and has little and is happy, he is not a bum, he/she may just be a human being with the courage to march to the beat of a different drum. I wish that the entire world, me included, could get over the entire dollar bill mentality, the only issue is: cams and ropes are not free! damn, I knew there was a proplem with this argument!
do what you want.

great post bro! you hit it right on!

No he didn't.

Care to elaborate on this. After all this is a medium for exchange of ideas.

crackmd

Nov 16, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #27 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I view the question very simply. A "bum" is someone who spends most their time on theirs. They do not seek challenges nor growth, they just sit. Anybody, IMHO, who chooses to spend their time challenging themselves in pursuit of personal bests whether it be for dollars to support or a family or scaling the rock is not a bum because they are gettin something done. The bums are the ones that talk the talk but never walk the walk. The climber is just that, a climber. The bum is the one that pertends to be a climber but is really a bum. There must be lawyer bums, and doctor bums, and teacher bums, and so on. If a person climbs all the time and has little and is happy, he is not a bum, he/she may just be a human being with the courage to march to the beat of a different drum. I wish that the entire world, me included, could get over the entire dollar bill mentality, the only issue is: cams and ropes are not free! damn, I knew there was a proplem with this argument!
do what you want.

No he didn't.

Word, Larry.

Word Larry? That's deep man!

climbhigh2005

Nov 16, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #28 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I plead guilty... 8^)

areyoumydude

Nov 22, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #29 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
do what you want.

No he didn't.

I am way to lazy to debate something this stupid. 8^)

crackmd

Nov 22, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #30 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
do what you want.

No he didn't.

I am way to lazy to debate something this stupid. 8^)

Bummer dude cause I have been staring at my computer screen for 3 days straight awaiting your reply.

simplistic

Nov 22, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #31 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I need to throw down again, This topic and my views are mine take em or leave em, I don't really care. That said, I do enjoy some mental mind bending and like to discuss others perspective of my views. Those who do not agree with my views please enlighten me as to the weaknesses in my comments or suggest alternative view points please. All in the name of healthy argument of course. Bring it on.

areyoumydude

Nov 22, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #32 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I view the question very simply. A "bum" is someone who spends most their time on theirs.

That doesn't even make sense.

In reply to:
They do not seek challenges nor growth, they just sit.

How does that make sense?

In reply to:
Anybody, IMHO, who chooses to spend their time challenging themselves in pursuit of personal bests whether it be for dollars to support or a family or scaling the rock is not a bum because they are gettin something done.

Bums get stuff done all the time. They collect cans, feed their dog, scale rocks, hitch-hike across the country, etc.

In reply to:
I knew there was a proplem with this argument!
do what you want.

Finally something I agree with, but as you said it is just your opinion.

Peace out.

simplistic

Nov 22, 2004, 7:37 PM
Post #33 of 33 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

howdy, it does make sense to me. a bum sits around on his or her ass, expecting someone or thing to take care of them or make decisions for them. My point was that a bum, that hitches across the country, collects cans feeds his dog is not really a bum, precisely because of the actions that she or he takes in pursuit of their existence. The other argument does make sense because the world is full of individuals who just sit and do nothing, for example, the person pan hadling outside the liquor store, or the person that collects unemployment insurance and claims that there is no work instead of gettin off their ass and getting a job. The difference between these people and a person that eats out of dumpsters and lives in his car and climbs every waking moment is that the climber is doing something to exist on their own without relying on others or expecting others to dom something for them.Where as the former is relying on someone else. Damn this analytical, but fun. Cheers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook