RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

cscooper

Jun 4, 2002, 10:53 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder/Neck pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two weeks ago I was hanging by my left arm. It felt a little funny once I got down. It didn't pop just sounded squishy inside before letting go of the hold. The rest of the day I had a massive twitch in the area. The next day I couldn't hardly raise my arm up and the pain radiated to my neck. It has gotten better but I can't cross my arms without the pain returning. I haven't climbed since but have no problem lifting weights----what gives? I've tried ice, heat and stretching.

kunzie

Jun 10, 2002, 5:07 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder/Neck pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Umm, there's a variety of problems which could've occured, most of them due to muscular tension. I think the most probable cause is strain in an irregular position, and a way to ease the pain is just to visit either a doctor, or a physio/massage therapist. I believe it to be in the trapezius sector of your back (neck, to shoulder to the base of the spine, in a triangle/diamond shape). Go get it diagnosed, and in the mean time don't aggrevate it.
Cheers mate

cscooper

Jun 10, 2002, 9:57 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I have 2 herniated disks and 2 broken toes so this shoulder thing just really has me pissed.

climbracer

Jun 10, 2002, 11:56 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would stop doing the weights for a few days to a week or more too. You should take Ibuprofen(Advil or Motrin) or another type of anti-inflammatory med. Your may be taking these and muscle relaxers for your back already, which is good. Those rubber band things are a good start up exercise for when you kick back into training. There is a large muscle that runs through your neck called the sternocleidomastoid muscle and this could be irritated. It may take awhile to get better. Take care!!

Kathy

clam

Jun 10, 2002, 1:44 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the pain and discomfort continue see a doctor. Obvious. It could be a rotator cuff (small guiding muscles of the shoulder) problem (strectching). If it is there are exercises that can be done to help. Hope it turns out to be only muscular aches and pains.

micahmcguire

Jun 14, 2002, 6:41 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like it may be a shoulder separation. This is kinda like a "half-dislocation" where the shoulder comes out of the socket, possibly doing some damage to the surrounding tissue, but immediately pops back into place. Possible complications with such an injury can include pinched nerves, but more often than not it is the supraspinatus tendon running along the top of the shoulder. This tendon (if my memory serves me right) runs through a small groove on the "ball" of the humerus. With many forms of shoulder trauma, particularly separation and dislocation, this tendon can "pop out" of this groove and need message/physical therapy to get it back in place. See a chiropracter. Also, ice it, ice it, ice it. A good anit-inflammatory like advil can help too.

[ This Message was edited by: micahmcguire on 2002-06-13 23:42 ]

cscooper

Jun 18, 2002, 9:11 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice. I'm heading to the doctor soon. I've been out a month now so I guess it's time. Getting another nerve block and cortisone shot on the herniated disks too. Hopefully I'll feel up to climbing by the first of August. I have a trip planned for the Las Vegas/St.George Utah area.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook