Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing at Pikes Peak??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

spoon369

Jun 4, 2002, 4:20 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Climbing at Pikes Peak??  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Black_Rose)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just went up to Pikes Peak last weekend and I saw a lot of slab. I was just wondering if anyone has ever gone climbing up there. If so send some info...

rck_climber

Jun 4, 2002, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Climbing at Pikes Peak?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Spoon,

Sorry I missed you last weekend, Eric and I had a blast - you need to come out next time !

There's quite a bit of climbing to be had up on the peak, but there's not a lot of beta for it. Best bet would be to hit up Mountain Chalet and ask them if they have any beta or guides on it (will probably be an old guide by a local). I know R&I listed some areas up there a while back in their guide issue, but it doesn't detail any specific climbs or locations.

Hope it helps a little.

Mick

Partner polarwid

Jun 4, 2002, 4:34 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done quite a bit of climbing up there also...PM me if you want to hike up I can tell you the location of some of the good stuff if my memory is intact...LOL!

rck_climber

Jun 4, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Originally posted by polarwid:
if my memory is intact...

I don't know, Doug, that's a slim prospect !!

You should just sit down and write up a "mini-guide" of all the places you used to hit when you were out here - I'd definitely go for a copy! My partner and I are always looking for the hidden treasures that lie around here, like alot of little-known routes up in Cheyenne Canyon. I'm sure you know a ton - how about jotting it all down one of these days and hooking some of us up .

Mick

Partner polarwid

Jun 4, 2002, 5:18 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Start by hiking DOWN Queen's Canyon from the top (Off Rampart Range Road)...There is a rock called Thunder Rock near the top with some great bouldering in the woods all around it (see this photo for an example). TThunder Rock itself has two or three routes up it, a bolted one and some lines Bob D'Antonio and other various partners and I put up, farther down the canyon are tons of untouched (except by me and Harvey Carter) crags and routes on some pretty good rock...PM me for more info.

This should probably not be in this thread, I was replying to RCK_CLIMBER question of out of the way areas...More on PIKES PEAK BELOW...

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2002-06-04 12:04 ]

mikedano

Jun 4, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been out there, but I seem to remember some info about pikes peak on www.climbingboulder.com. Might be a good place to start.

Partner polarwid

Jun 4, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Pikes Peak just ask about BIGGER BAGGER or THE PERICLE, and see what the locals say, or the routes ARCHING JAMS or THE FLAME. There are also some good routes on the highway up the peak on your left before you pass timberline, next to the gift shop and near the reservoir.

REMEMBER---you can not park on the highway overnight, you will get ticketed and possibly a search party might be launched!!! This did happen to a friend of mine and he was only late getting back to his vehicle because of a stuck rappell rope. Better to hike up Barr Trail and not worry about time limits...it is a long trek, but the camping is alpine and surreal, and the views over the SPRINGS from BOTTOMLESS PIT are incredible.

STOP ME BEFORE I POST ANYMORE!!!

DOUG

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2002-06-04 11:37 ]

rck_climber

Jun 4, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Doug, for your endless experience and knowledge of the area. When and if time permits, could you add some of these "hidden spots" to the route database (including the Pikes Peak beta)?

Mick

lemon_boy

Jun 4, 2002, 7:21 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey polarwid, do you have any info about some of the stuff on the south and southwest sides of pikes peak (ie mount big chief off of old stage road and oil creek area south of the crags?). also, if you have any info on other rampart range road stuff i would be super psyched to learn more about the area. i have hiked in and hopped on some of the stuff in these areas and would like to learn about the history, etc. thanx.

spoon369

Jun 5, 2002, 2:30 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all of the info...we should just all get together and climb the peak. That would be an experience.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook