RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

scottlougheed

Jun 5, 2002, 2:02 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

My shoes are killing me
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, I started climbing when EBs were just going out of fashion. After a long hiatus, I've returned. I realized that shoes have changed greatly and went to a reputable shop to buy my new shoes. I ended up with La Sportiva Cliff Blues. They were really tight when I bought them, but hey I remember cramming my feet into EBs. Besides the sales girl was hot and she assured me that although technology has gotten better the shoes are still tight. I told her I really didn't think I'd be hitting 5.11 anytime soon (probably never) and if I lead a 5.10a I would be hard for a week (well not those exact words)So do I really need that tight a fit? She said there not that tight and they'll stretch. I have 4 half days in these shoes, after about 3 hours, all I think about is taking them off. So the question is, are they going to stretch? And what is the performance hit if I size up? My feet are size 11(USA) and my shoes are size 42(Euro).

xen_monkey

Jun 5, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

My shoes are killing me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend got a pair of those and they're takeing forever to stretch. I think this weeekned we're going to soak them, otherwise she'll have to get new shoes

sidepull

Jun 5, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first pair of shoes were sportiva cliff (orange). I'm size 11 and I got 42 and they broke in nicely. I wore them indoors for a week and would brush them with a damp cloth.

Here's my two cents: I've never worn shoes for 3 hours straight. I could understand it if you're climbing big walls, but it sounds like you're a sport climber. If that's true, take your shoes off when you're not climbing and spare your toes.

On the other hand, if you prefer a shoe that's more comfortable to stand around in, then get a nice, board-lasted shoe that fits out of the box. That way you can talk to sales girl about how stiff they feel.

beyond_gravity

Jun 5, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #4 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say if you can wear them for 3 hours when there new, you got them too big

couloir

Jun 5, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't go with a size 42 in the cliffs. They are an all around beginner shoe that is meant to be worn rather comfortably. I would go up .5 to 1 full size.

scottlougheed

Jun 5, 2002, 3:26 AM
Post #6 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies, So brushing the shoes with water or soaking them implies that it's the leather that needs to stretch. I was thinking the rubber is holding them back.

bmgard

Jun 5, 2002, 7:16 AM
Post #7 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your shoes are tight, unless your on a long climb never wear your shoes that long. Take them off and let your feet breath. Even if you are on a long climb if you hit a ledge at least untie them.
Besides that the rubber won't stretch. The leather will. That means that the shoes really won't get much longer but they will get widder. The big thing is that shoes don't really strech that much but they comform to your feet making them more comfortable. If you want to break them in faster wear them in the shower. When your done leave them in the tub to dry. About every 30min or so put them on and walk around a bit. This will help mold them to your foot.
I also don't think you need shoes that tight. I wear size 11 street and size 10.5 rock. I've never had a problem.
And just to make sure. I have seen this a few times. You're not wearing socks are you? If you are you don't need them

maddie

Jun 5, 2002, 10:27 AM
Post #8 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

either the pain gets beter and they (shoes) stretch, or you just get used to it (pain)

overlord

Jun 5, 2002, 12:31 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, afrer just 4 halfdays they havent really streched yet. and if you can have them on fo 3h, they are too big. i cant have my 1st shoes on for that long after 1.5 years. and they HAVE streches. just endure, its part of the game.

spank_spank

Jun 5, 2002, 2:03 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hot sales girls are the best.

Try taking a shower with them on, then take a blow dryer and dry them while they are on your feet. This should help them stretch a bit and form to your foot.

sheppe

Jun 5, 2002, 10:22 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give 'em time. My 5.10 Huecos took a goodly time to stretch. My foot is a 10.5 (US), and I think I'm in size 38-40 (Eur). I can't remember exactly, but I like 'em good 'n tight.

-Sheppe

redzit

Jun 8, 2002, 7:23 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After THREE HOURS is a set of rock climbing shoes, your feet should hurt. otherwise there is something wrong with your feet, or yous hoes are to big.
i was told that a certain size would best for performaince for me, i put that size in, and attempted to stand up, i never made it, it hurt soooo bad.
you shoes will stretch, just don't expect it right away. buying a bigger size now could really hurt your performance.
they will take a while to stretch, ut when they do, the shoe will for nicely to your foot

bmgard

Jun 8, 2002, 9:42 PM
Post #13 of 13 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you take a shower with your shoes don't dry them with a blow dryer. The heat is very bad for them and can cause them to fall apart much faster.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook