First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

theflyingsquirrel

Dec 4, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #101 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who DOESN'T drink... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how about if your to young to drink? ya i thought so...

aryemanhattanforme

Dec 4, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #102 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude,

Whaddaya mean too young to drink?

I suppose if you can't handle a corkscrew or maybe the bottle's too heavy, but . . . . huh?

Too young? Nonsense.

leewee

Dec 4, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #103 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive never had a drink ever, and ive been climbing for almost 15 years...so it looks like you dont need one to do the other...
im glad you brought this up cause it has been an issue in my climbing social life...im glad to see so many nice replys i thought you would have gotten a bunch of defensively agressive responses...
i dont have anything against people who drink but i say keep your drinking and climbing seperate...
leewee

hasbeen

Dec 4, 2004, 1:42 AM
Post #104 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Compared with men who drank less than once a week, men who consumed alcohol three or four days a week had approximately 2/3 (68 percent) the risk of heart attack, and men who consumed alcohol five to seven days per week had slightly less (63 percent) the risk.

The New England Journal of Medicine 348(2):109-118

Like I said, you people can go ahead and live dangerously, risking your life and health by drinking things like soda, milk, water or juice. But I'm not willing to take that risk. I'm going to stand up for my life and do the right thing. There's a bartender right this minute shaking a beautiful elixir of life and my mouth is watering at the thought of just how this concoction is going to extend not only my life, but my evening, my climbing ability, and this entire weekend. See you at the crags.

A Votre Sante,

Le Steph

gustav

Dec 4, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #105 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are plenty of climbers that don't drink. That's rad that you don't drink, I am the same age as you and know how you feel. Sometimes it feels you are the only one out there who feels the same way that you do. Have faith though, you will find some solid climbing partners who feel the same way you do, I did.

www.srcfc.com

Partner kimgraves

Dec 4, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #106 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The answer to your question, “Who doesn’t drink” is, "not me."

Strangely enough I only drink beer after climbing. The other times it's wine or GRAPPA! My cardiologist says drinking wine is good for me. He hasn’t expressed an opinion about the GRAPPA.

Best, Kim

rocknroll

Dec 4, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #107 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't you heard of the legendary Yosemite mountain guide, Sargent Liquor? (I won't reveal his real name because we are finally getting along after he chopped my bolts twenty years ago) He is currently employed every summer at YMS and at Skys the Limit Guide Service in the winter at Red Rocks. He has been known to guide complete novices while drunk. And by God, he is one of the finest guides accredited by the AMGA, drunk or sober. He got his start in the Devils Lake F--kness Association where the initiation was to hang upside down and drink a six pack of Point Beer (the local brew). I have seen him fire unrepeated boulder problems at the Buttermilks totally jacked. He has saved the lives of many people totally sh--faced as a member of the Camp 4 yosemite SAR. But probably his best moment totally slammed was when he and another fellow were soloing Bishops Terrace all liquored back. The other fellow slipped from a ways up, I don;t know exactly, but probably over 50 feet to the ground. Sgt. Liquor downclimbed as quickly as possible and when he got to the stricken climber there was no breath and no heartbeat. I don't care if you drink, shoot meth or take steroids, this guy did what needed to be done. He began CPR and mouth-to mouth and brought this dead climber back to life. The guy had been clinically dead for many minutos and suffered a little brain damage - BUT STILL CLIMBS TODAY.

Believe it or not, all thanks to Sargent Liquor.

theflyingsquirrel

Dec 4, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #108 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet. i'd also like to bring a little history into the mix, i mean history is just like so important ya know. thats why you sleep during history class. but anyway the catholic church's two greatest contributions to the world are BEER and JESUS both continue to save lives today. God kicks ass i don't care which one you like. and a God that brings you BEER even better.

thewyseclimber

Dec 4, 2004, 4:52 AM
Post #109 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Who DOESN'T drink... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sweet. i'd also like to bring a little history into the mix, i mean history is just like so important ya know. thats why you sleep during history class. but anyway the catholic church's two greatest contributions to the world are BEER and JESUS both continue to save lives today. God kicks ass i don't care which one you like. and a God that brings you BEER even better.

:wtf:

The Church invented beer? hmmm........

Brilliant!

aryemanhattanforme

Dec 4, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #110 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeezus, I don't know where to begin.
First of all, I've had 2 bourbons, 2 manhattans, and now I'm having a Rye on the rocks. So . . . I can't guarantee anything will be less than spectacular, but I suppose you'll forgive me.

Stephanois: You're damn right. There's no sense in risking life or limb for sobriety.

Flying Squirrel: You're plain nuts.

Rocknroll: Next one's on me.

Gustav: Kraut or Ruskie?

whyseclimber: You are a friggin' Republican. I think they call you loghouse or something or other.

Everyone else: Have a drink. That's just it. see?

~Skunkie

danrauscher

Dec 4, 2004, 8:07 AM
Post #111 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't drink

kpalsson

Dec 5, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #112 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If it feels good do it. I like the taste of some beers. I hate the taste of others. So I drink some, and don't drink others.

So where does that Icelandic stuff fit in??

That's punishment, not drinking. Punishment for when you've been a bad climber, and not done much climbing. (For me, for you guys it was "cultural experiences")

Cheers,
Karl P

overlord

Dec 5, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #113 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i drikn occasionally. but theres nothing better than a beer after a hard day out climbing. well, maybe sex, but since my GF is usually kinda not very fond of me after such a day, beer is about the best i can get.

its not "rad" to either drink or not to drink. thats your personal decision and i respect it. so if youre in my company, feel free to pass on the good stuff. itll be more for me then :P .

but you will never EVER see me doing something responsible (like driving, belaying and such stuff) while dozed.

powen

Dec 5, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #114 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unfortunately, whenever I think about traveling somewhere and climbing with a random partner I'm not acquainted with, I take into account the environment that I might be exposed to...

...Flame as desired.

No problem: Tell me, are there really nice routes in your glass house?

Seriously, thanks for being so tolerant and walking out the front door to dwell amongst us imbibers of liquor. Face it, we're EVERYWHERE! Mwahahaha!

Oh yeah, Jesus called. He wants his wine back. He asked if you wanted to do El Cap this weekend, but I told him you didn't want to be around drinkers. I think it was supposed to be Him, Warren Harding and Dougal Haston, but I guess you wouldn't have any fun huh?

fire_or_retire

Dec 5, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #115 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drinking while climbing is a great idea if you want to get hurt. On the other hand everyone knows that the best climbing trips come to life after a few pints at the local.

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 5, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #116 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me

godskid5

Dec 5, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #117 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i drink on occasion. never when climbing. mostly when my wife and i are out to dinner with friends. ill have a beer, but thats all. don't like the feeling of not being in control.
yes, jesus did drink, so did all the disciples, they drank wine at the last supper, not grape juice, but they did not drink to the point of losing control. the bible is very clear about that.

napoleon_in_rags

Dec 5, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #118 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got to go with drinking is just part of life for some people. Hell its like masturbating really, you either don't do it, do it regularly or do it too damn much.

Are you saying there is something wrong with masturbating??? Why masturbating goes with climbing as well as beer does!!!

cgranite

Dec 5, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #119 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i drink on occasion. never when climbing. mostly when my wife and i are out to dinner with friends. ill have a beer, but thats all. don't like the feeling of not being in control.
yes, jesus did drink, so did all the disciples, they drank wine at the last supper, not grape juice, but they did not drink to the point of losing control. the bible is very clear about that.

Word to that...

There's nothing wrong with a brew after a hard day climbing in the Valley or Josh.

dirtineye

Dec 6, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #120 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread, along with having gym climbed fairly drunk with {(insert famous climber name here) and boy was it fun!}, has inspired me to open a climbing wall/bar.

I wonder if I need insurance for that?

The puritans who don't want to climb with anyone who is drinking should know that many many routes were done in the first place by drunken or otherwise impaired climbers.

A drunken partner means you have to be more self reliant LOL, and that's part of climbing in the first place, isn't it?

Maybe THAT'S where "the leader must not fall", comes from, ya think?

So yeah, I'll drink and climb, if I think it is reasonable, cause it's fun under the right circumstances. Other times, maybe drinking and climbing would be really bad.

prezwoodz

Dec 6, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #121 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for saying it perfect...i hate being pressured..they think its funny "lets get the non drinker to drink!" it really frustrates me. Enough to the point where im not having any fun any longer, and usually leave.

In reply to:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:25 am Post subject: Re: Who DOESN'T drink... Does this post suck? Does it rule? Cast your vote! Reply with quote Back to top
This rules! This sucks!
prezwoodz wrote:
i may sound like a loser saying this. but im 23 and ive never drank Smile i was to much of a nerd in high school and when it came time to be able to drink i was out of the rebel stage and said screw it i got better things to do with my time and money Smile

You're definitely not a loser. I'm 28 and haven't drank either. It's not because I think alchohol consumption is wrong; it's a statement I make to myself and others. Alchohol has killed 3 friends of mine, and 3 aquaintences. I have 3 friends presently who are alchoholics(who doesn't?), and their lives and everyone around them are miserable. By not drinking, I am seeking a couple things- a statement of purity from something that has ruined lives all around me; a refusal to be involved in soemthign that has killed family and friends- and- yeah, I spend about 1/3 of what my partners do on every climbing trip.

And now for a rant:
My wife and I spend 90% of our time with climbers. Climbers are our "family". Most, if not all of them drink at some level or another. So what?

I'll tell you so what-
Our beef is that they find it so entertaining. Drinking is a part of our community; our culture even. It is part of "being" a climber supposedly. So why is it so entertaining to talk about? I have been on trips where hours trickle by and all people can find to talk about is their drunken exploits- or tell stories of trips where all they can remember is getting drunk; and they think it is the greatest thing in the world; remembering stories with tears in their eyes with laughter.

When a climber hangs with us and offers a beer, we reply "no thank you"; and if they push the issue; I politely say "I don't drink". This baffles most climbers and they seem confused for the evening. What is wrong with this? Some people don't like green beans, or they choose not to eat meat.

Sometimes they feel the need to justify why they drink, or they say "yeah, I should probably slow down my drinking too...". WHY!?!?!?

Another nuisance is they feel the need to try and push us to drink, like we are missing out on some great world that we have never tapped in to(which is not true, my wife has a drink occasionaly, it's nota BIG ENTERTAINING THING to talk about and blab about). I get harrased at parties, around the fire and at restaurants. Some people think it is so funny to try and push it on me. I think it is juvenile and immature. Most of my climbing pals are between 30 and 40 yrs. old, and are just as entertained and enthralled with drinking as they were when they were 17. Move on PEOPLE!!! Grow friggen up. Drinking is just a part of life. If you choose to do it, just do it and shut up about it already.

godskid5

Dec 6, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #122 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This thread, along with having gym climbed fairly drunk with {(insert famous climber name here) and boy was it fun!}, has inspired me to open a climbing wall/bar.

I wonder if I need insurance for that?

The puritans who don't want to climb with anyone who is drinking should know that many many routes were done in the first place by drunken or otherwise impaired climbers.

A drunken partner means you have to be more self reliant LOL, and that's part of climbing in the first place, isn't it?

Maybe THAT'S where "the leader must not fall", comes from, ya think?

So yeah, I'll drink and climb, if I think it is reasonable, cause it's fun under the right circumstances. Other times, maybe drinking and climbing would be really bad.

your right. it does make you pay more attention. therefore safer right? i might as well take up driving drunk, after all, i will be forced to pay more attention to the road, etc... if i killl someone, oh well. if i die, it was meant to be. after all, lots of others do it. the fa who did I-5 drunk first was great. Just because youall don't think drunk driving is safe, don't forcr your beliefs on me!! the driver must not wreck!!!

whatever dude. you do stupid things when your drunk. drinking and climbing is not a smart thing to do. you could get yourself or someone else killed. ( and no, i do not condone drunk driving either). drink the night before, get sober, then climb. or climb, then go out and celebrate. just not together.

prezwoodz

Dec 6, 2004, 1:38 AM
Post #123 of 255 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the story arsenalcrater...i enjoy hearing stories of where people have turned there lives around :) Enjoy it all!

glchromeice

Dec 6, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #124 of 255 (14916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't drink, I'm Christian and just never saw the point in acquiring the taste for it.

I reccommend not mixing it with climbing. I know a guy who does, or should i say "did"... long story short, bad judgement can = bad injury.

robfromport

Dec 6, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #125 of 255 (14896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did enough booze and drugs between 15 and 30 years old to last a lifetime (and a couple of extra if the hindus are to be believed). Not to sound preachy, but I climb to improve myself and overcome my (many)weaknesses.

I do have the odd glass of wine for special occassions, but the entire concept of making myself stupider and less in control has last its appeal for me.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook