RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

soaring

Nov 30, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Climbed in Thailand Recently?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[indigo]Looking for info on climbing in thailand from someone who has been there in 2004. Where to climb, where to stay, what to bring?[/indigo]

saskrock

Dec 2, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbed in Thailand Recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I was there in Sept 2003. Pm me if you still need info

Partner iclimbtoo

Dec 2, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there in 2003 too (Jan.), at places other than Krabi, just pm me if you need info.

benpullin

Dec 2, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[indigo]Looking for info on climbing in thailand from someone who has been there in 2004. Where to climb, where to stay, what to bring?[/indigo]

Climb at Railay. I've heard Chiang Mai in the north is seeing some more development, but Railay is where it's at.

Stay in a bungalow at Ton Sai Beach (cheaper than Railay side).

Bring at least a dozen draws, a 60m rope, and possibly a couple longer slings. You can purchase the guidebook for all the areas at one of the climbing shops in Railay.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 3, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there in June 2004 and stayed at the Sand/Sea resort. This is low season and ended up paying about $30-$35/night for plush accomodations. From what i hear, prices skyrocket in peak season. You can also get lesser accomodations for much cheaper, but I was on my honeymoon and we went all out. We brought our own gear (rope, harnesses, shoes, chalk and quickdraws, as well as a few extra lockers and slings). Our rope took a beating and wasn't the same afterwards. Depending on the length of your stay you may want to rent gear. You can also hire guides. My wife and I felt it nice to just go out and climb whenever we wanted and if you have to rely on guides and others equipment, this won't be as easy.

We stayed two weeks in Railay and didn't come close to climbing all of the areas. We hope to get back soon. Our favorite area was the Tonsai beach area. We also liked bouldering by the princess cave. Some of the areas are not as well taken care of, so be careful.

Josh

outdoormikeg

Dec 3, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spend almost a week there in April 2004.

Climb on both the Ton Sai side and the Railay side...there's tons of stuff. Also try and hit up some of the island climbs

If you can climb 6b-c climb the 4 pitch Humanality on Ton Sai. You can borrow a second rope to rap (you need two) from one of the climbing shops. Fire Wall at the far side of Ton Sia also has some great stuff.

Stay on Ton Sai and walk to Railay to climb and buy stuff (yes its cheaper there because it's easeir to get stuff to Railay).

Other than that, have fun...there's

soaring

Dec 6, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is some other great areas to rock climb in thailand

kris_pa

Dec 7, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chiang Mai for the northern Thailand and Khoa Cheen Lair, Lopburi for around Bangkok. I love Khoa Cheen lair the most because it is really new area (4-5 years); the rock still fresh. There are almost 30 routes, which 10 new routes just been bolted in the last 4 months. It is not too far from Bangkok, just 1 1/2 hour from Bangkok. Especially in winter season (Nov-Jan), the sunflowers would bloom around the area. Imagine when u reach the anchor and look down; all the area would be yellow, so beutiful.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook