RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

arjunrattan

Dec 7, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Ice Climbing Near Toronto??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi,
Im somwhat new to canada and well since it snows here so much i really wanted to get into ice climbing, to keep in touch with the outdoors during the long winter, as im plain sick of the gym! just wanted to know where to learn it /what is the basic gear required and good areas for ice climbing...

cheers!
p.s. have been climbing for about 2 yrs now...mostly rock- sport and bouldering...

hoppinbig

Dec 7, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ice Climbing Near Toronto?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to Canada! Ice climbing is awesome - though quite expensive to get into. Before you go out and drop all the cash on the expensive gear you need to try it first - see if you dig.

You have 2 choices for trying it out: There are plenty of guide services in the area. They have intro weekends where they supply all the gear and provide you with an understanding of what you are supposed to do. Though this is usually quite expensive too.

A better option is to ask around at your gym - see if anyone there ice climbs and be really nice to those people (I'm sure they'd be happy to take you out) - You can rent all the gear you need from MEC for like $35 for a weekend.

If you can't pick out the ice climbers - look for the single guys who are too pale and awkward looking around females.

katydid

Dec 7, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what access is like at Tiffany Falls these days (I think you have to have an Alpine Club of Canada membership and sign a waiver), but it's a good place to start out, and there are classes offered there periodically. It's near Dundas, so not so bad a drive. You might also try PM-ing darkside, who was kind enough to introduce me to the evils of ice climbing, and see if he'll give you an intro. You will either love it or hate it; I think it's GREAT.

You can rent boots, crampons, and tools from MEC and from the shop across the street (whose name escapes me, but they're good people with cool dogs) if MEC's out of something ... assuming they're still there (I've been out of the GTA for a while now). The deposit's fairly hefty in either case, so make sure you have some room on your credit card.

k.

arjunrattan

Dec 7, 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ohh yeah the shop is europebound..its pretty close to my gym actually(oasis)... thanks for the info..how far are these ice climbing locations though?? i mean driving time wise from toronto??

peas

Dec 7, 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was pretty much in the same position as you a couple years ago. I joined the ACC and went on a couple trips with them. Through those trips I found a couple partners to go out with as well. I also met Darkside through the ACC. I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing. You be the judge. Have fun.

chalked4dyno

Dec 8, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's all kinds of waterfalls in hamilton and dundas area. You're looking at a 45minute drive from toronto. I'm hoping to try ice for the first time this winter!

oh yeah.. If anywone wants to take a road trip to Quebec feb19th to 26th, (Festiglace in Pont-Rouge is 19th & 20th I believe) pm me. Without an experienced Ice climber, my trip will probably consist mostly of skiing.

rockzen

Dec 14, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depending on what day(s) you go, tiffany falls can be quite busy.

if you want to check it out, and you're not comfortable setting up your own anchors, then i would recommend going with a guide who will both supply the necessary gear and set up the routes... some good guides, some bad.

dave...

climbhoser

Dec 14, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.climbingcentral.com

COME TO THE ICEFEST IN MUNISING, MI!!!!!

It's gonna have a bunch of really cool pros doing clinics and guiding, a bunch of demo gear and a bunch of really cool, 200 foot fat falls.

e-mail me for more information

arjunrattan

Dec 14, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmm a guide sounds good...any idea how much they charge though?? cause if its alot...i could get a group together and organise a trip or something...yeah thats a sweeet idea...i think i'll do that....but anyways..where could i find info on guides who teach ice climbing too..??

ontario_guide

Dec 15, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could go to the Alpine Club of Canada, Toronto section site. www.climbers.org. There is a listing of climbing schools there.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook