RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

hibby11

Dec 15, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (919 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip down the west coast over the month of august and am trying to plan time to climb. Were traveling down california and are wondering where the best places to climb are? Trying to pick a general area to climb and are looking for either sport or top roped climbs. Any areas in AZ,NV,UT,NM that anyone would reccommend? Any help would greatly reduce my work in finding a memorable place, i've heard of some great areas and am wondering what everyone says on rc.com

epic_ed

Dec 15, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #2 of 5 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It'll be HOT in AZ that time of year unless you head for Flagstaff. What kind of climbing are you in to? Sport, trad, boulding, aid?

Ed

mandrake

Dec 15, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 5 (919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, Ed, I think he said he's looking for sport or toproping.

Ed's right, you'll be looking to climb at altitude in August. For August sport in Arizona, I'd recommend the Pit in Flagstaff or Jack's Canyon south of Winslow. Also, check out some of the crags high on Mt. Lemmon (like, say, Munchkinland) outside of Tucson. Jacks has generally soft grades, lots of short limestone routes, and has closely spaced bolts. The Pit has a limited number, but really quality, longer limestone routes and firmer ratings. Lemmon is granite, the single-pitch sportroutes are generally safe but the grades are stouter (or maybe I'm just a crappy granite climber!).

The Falcon Arizona guidebook has decent overviews of these areas if you don't wanna buy separate guidebooks.

I can't really speak of sportclimbing in the rest of the southwest. Oh, actually, Owens River Gorge outside Bishop, CA is surprisingly decent in warm temps. Just get down there early and keep in the shade.

Have a good time, Bret

moeman

Dec 16, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #4 of 5 (919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I've never been to this area (so take my advice as what it is- second hand information), I have heard that the weather at Mt. Charleston, NV is excellent (60s-70s) that time of the year. It is just outside of Vegas (hot in summer), but is high up in the mountains (above 6,00 feet or higher I think), so it stays cool. It is (as I have heard) well bolted limestone sport climbing.

crackmd

Dec 16, 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #5 of 5 (919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

American Fork in Salt Lake has excellent limestone sport climbing. Also around St. George in southern Utah, there are bunches of worthy sport crags. Even though it is not in one of the states you mentioned, August really is a great time to climb around Tahoe. Donner Summit has many great TRs and Big Chief has some pretty cool sport climbing. 90-foot wall is all TR on killer granite. Have fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook