Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Helmets and unsafe patterns of behavior (rant)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Dec 17, 2004, 2:16 AM
Post #51 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmets and unsafe patterns of behavior (rant) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Uh, helmets don't help you not get the rope behind your leg.

When did I say anything about a rope behind someone leg?
If the climber fell upside down, chances are pretty good that the rope got caught behind his leg. There are many ways to skin a cat, but this was likely the cause.

In reply to:
If you see the point, then let me know?
Sure thing.

Dan is not saying that you shouldn't wear a helmet. Helmets do in fact have their place, and many examples have been given. He is simply re-stating that helmets are not substitutes for good judgement, knowledge, or etiquette. He is pointing out that he sees a lot of gumbys wreaking havoc or creating potentially dangerous situations, which would be otherwise relatively safe, because they think their helmet is a magical force that prevents danger.

Helmets, in general, are not a bad thing. BUT not fully understanding their necessity or function is, and the root of his rant.

Capice?

guangzhou

Dec 17, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #52 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, the rope behind the leg is just one of many ways to end up upside down. In the situation above, the climber was starting to pull through a roof when he fell. The body positioning sent them back wards.

Other scenarios for flipping upside down are endless:

High stepping on overhanging rock
Heel hooking
Crack climbing, Jams slipping before your feet release

The list is endless.

dirtineye

Dec 17, 2004, 3:38 AM
Post #53 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

If the climber fell upside down, chances are pretty good that the rope got caught behind his leg. There are many ways to skin a cat, but this was likely the cause.

FIrst, you and Dan seem to think that only the uninitiated get the rope behind theri leg. That's not true. For one thing, I've seen some pretty experienced climbers do it.

For another thing, if you lead enough roof routes, you'll see that sometimes you have a lot of trouble avoiding rope behind leg, even when you are aware of it and want to avoid it.

One more point, any time your feet stay on after your hands come off, you have a chance to go upside down.

Ever fall across the rope bacause your belayer was too far back from the wall? That does s nice job of flipping you around.

Lastly, if your harness is too low on your waist, so that the tie in is below your center of gravity, you have a good shot at going upside down in situations where you otherwise would not.

You can add these to what the other guy said about falling upside down.

jt512

Dec 17, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #54 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

FIrst, you and Dan seem to think that only the uninitiated get the rope behind theri leg. That's not true. For one thing, I've seen some pretty experienced climbers do it.

Yeah, but how often have you seen an experienced climber fall with the rope behind his leg?

In reply to:
For another thing, if you lead enough roof routes, you'll see that sometimes you have a lot of trouble avoiding rope behind leg, even when you are aware of it and want to avoid it.

Just because it's hard to avoid doesn't mean you can't avoid it. You just have to think a move ahead.

In reply to:
Ever fall across the rope bacause your belayer was too far back from the wall?

But can the leader escape responsibility for this belayer error?

In reply to:
Lastly, if your harness is too low on your waist...

And that is obviously the leader's error.

Dan's point -- one of them -- is that new climbers are substituting helmets for learning safe climbing practices, which "in the old days" largely obviated the need for helmets. We learned not to fall out of dangerous body positions, not to step in front of the rope (or at least to be extra careful with the rope behind our leg), not to assume that every handhold was solid, to be careful with our feet so as not to kick rocks down, not to crowd another climbing party, to make sure our belayer is standing where we want him, not wear our harness down over our hips like some kind of gansta' wannabe, etc., etc.

-Jay

sharpender

Dec 17, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #55 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpineclimber1 wrote:
In reply to:
The only other major rock fall death at a cragging area that I can recall hearing about was a guy knocking a plate down on his girlfriend and taking her arm off.)

That was not a cragging area. That is a major multipitch climbing location that elsewhere you name as a "clean" rock. Yeah, over on teh West end but where the accident occured there is a multitude of loose rock that is a danger and requires the skill of climbing parties to avoud dislodging. Also in the example cited, a helmut (she may have had one on) was clearly useless. I always heard it was loose rock dislodged and not a plate pulled from the wall. Personally I don't blame you for not climbing there on the weekends. Must be nice to have that luxury.

dirtineye

Dec 17, 2004, 7:10 AM
Post #56 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, but how often have you seen an experienced climber fall with the rope behind his leg?

Two of the three rope behind leg falls I can think of were by experienced climbers, one of the two was by an outstanding climber (on a 5.9 sport route) who has done 5.12 trad. Anyone can make a mistake.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Just because it's hard to avoid doesn't mean you can't avoid it. You just have to think a move ahead.

And just how many trad roof routes on doubles have you led? It's not as simple as you think. Sometimes it is several moves later, sometimes you can't even see the rope or your feet or legs. That it could be avoided is not the issue, people clearly do not avoid it all the time, because there are a lot of falls of this sort.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ever fall across the rope bacause your belayer was too far back from the wall?

But can the leader escape responsibility for this belayer error?

Not if the belayer decides to back away from the wall and the leader doesn't even know it til after he is falling over the rope.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Lastly, if your harness is too low on your waist...

And that is obviously the leader's error.

Yes but that does not change the fact that this happens a lot. Correcting it after it has happened is impossible, and the point of my post was to show that there are a lot of ways to fall upside down besides getting the rope behind your leg.

You could argue that any time the leader falls upside down it is his error, that is not the issue. The issue is that there are many ways to fall upside down.

Dan's point -- one of them -- is that new climbers are substituting helmets for learning safe climbing practices, which "in the old days" largely obviated the need for helmets. We learned not to fall out of dangerous body positions, not to step in front of the rope (or at least to be extra careful with the rope behind our leg), not to assume that every handhold was solid, to be careful with our feet so as not to kick rocks down, not to crowd another climbing party, to make sure our belayer is standing where we want him, not wear our harness down over our hips like some kind of gansta' wannabe, etc., etc.

-Jay
Yes the old days, when magically all climbers were more careful and safer. Well I've climbed with enough old timers to have seen some of the 'safe practices' some of them employed and still use, such as chaining biners together to extend slings or make an anchor, rapping on the figure 8 with tails on the same side, not being able to place a cam worth a crap, pinching the break line and guide line together with one hand while belaying, refusing to warn a climber about the rope behind their leg because it might break their concentration-- no wonder they were concerned about falling.

Of course I've also seen new climbers and intermediate climbers make a bucket of mistakes too.

What is interesting is that in the different groups, some from each will listen and some will just ignore advice, or deny that what they are doing could have bad consequences. The ones who listen ( and who will also point out any errors YOU might make, cause we all make em) are generally those who are prudent people, or guides, or those who have seen the need for and taken safety related climbing courses.

What I have seen is that a lot of climbers, both experienced and new, get by on luck or climbing skill (as in not falling), not safe practices.

In reply to:
We learned not to fall out of dangerous body positions...

You'll have to explain this. The only truly unsafe falling position I know of is having the rope behind your leg (Will I get flipped out of control and hit thw wall with the back of my head while hanging upside down?). For me the fall consequences are determined by what features I will have to contend with (will I meet a ledge or other feature on the way down; when I come to the wall, will it be smooth and regular or will I have to dodge a projection or avoid sticking a foot in a big horizontal, etc) and how good the gear is, and if the fall is a surprize fall.

In reply to:
...not wear our harness down over our hips like some kind of gansta' wannabe

This is a key thing, I'm sure some people are doing just what you say, and it's wrong, but I also believe that many harnesses are too low by accident. Everyone should test their falling position by hanging in their harness and make sure they do not tip upside down.

climbsomething

Dec 17, 2004, 7:39 AM
Post #57 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

FIrst, you and Dan seem to think that only the uninitiated get the rope behind theri leg.
I didn't say that.

In reply to:
one of the two was by an outstanding climber (on a 5.9 sport route) who has done 5.12 trad. Anyone can make a mistake.
Or get overly comfortable because he's on something easy? I know I'm more likely to do something stupid on a 5.6 than a 5.11.

In reply to:
Not if the belayer decides to back away from the wall and the leader doesn't even know it til after he is falling over the rope.
What, you don't keep an eye on your belayer? My leaders routinely glance over their shoulders and snap if need be. I do likewise.

In reply to:
The only truly unsafe falling position I know of is having the rope behind your leg
Come on, you old scotch-swilling traddie, there are lots of unsafe positions to be in should gravity come calling. Above ledges. Facing a hard penji fall and slamming into a wall. Factor 2. Falling with the rope in your teeth or somehow wrapped around your thumb midclip- certainly pilot error, but bad.

guangzhou

Dec 17, 2004, 7:49 AM
Post #58 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Positions and location in this case mean to diferent things.

About my belayer. I regularly look at my belayer if I don't trust him or her. But belayers that i have complete trust in, I never watch, especially when I am climbing near my limit.

I have climbed to of the most famous roof cracks in the U.S. "Seperate Reality" and "Desert Reality". How would I keep the rope out of behind my leg on those? Personally, I decided I didn't need too, but I just want to know how.

In the long run, adding a helmet will give you more protection then not having a helmet. Good climbing practices shouldn't be overlooked just because you're wearing one.

If the fall is clean and the gear is good, than I would argue that falling is a safe practice with you any day.

dirtineye

Dec 17, 2004, 8:24 AM
Post #59 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What, you don't keep an eye on your belayer? My leaders routinely glance over their shoulders and snap if need be. I do likewise.

First, it is common to see belayers standing well back from the wall at sport crags.

Second, the situation I was directly refering to was at night, I was concentrating on onsighting a 10C in the dark, and silly me, fogot to take my night vision goggles. The belayer decided he needed to back up for some reason while I was floundering around.

And no, I don't usually watch my belayer. For one thing, I am 99% of the time climbing with someone who I can trust. For another thing, many routes do not allow the leader the luxury of line of sight with the belayer.

In reply to:
The only truly unsafe falling position I know of is having the rope behind your leg
Come on, you old scotch-swilling traddie, there are lots of unsafe positions to be in should gravity come calling. Above ledges. Facing a hard penji fall and slamming into a wall. Factor 2. Falling with the rope in your teeth or somehow wrapped around your thumb midclip- certainly pilot error, but bad.
Little darling, those are not body positions. Those are situations. Body position refers to how your body is oriented on the rock.

You should have read a little farther though, cause I mentioned meeting features and falling consequences, just cause I knew someone would be confused. Again, the position your body is in when you fall is not the same as the terrain you are going to fall past or onto.

By the way, a hard pendulum fall into a wall is not bad if you meet the wall correctly. Been there, done that. Come in feet first, cushion the impact with your legs, no problem. That was a fall from a double heel hook while exiting a roof.

jimdavis

Dec 17, 2004, 8:54 AM
Post #60 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experiences I find it very hard to find a reason not to wear a helmet. Ignoring Aid and Ice, where helmets are a must, almost every area I've visited there has been potential for falling objects.

Take for example the Precipice in Acadia National Park. Climbs there go up to 3 pitches, and there is a hiking trail up the side of the mountain. Who know's if there is some idiot up there that just knocked a rock loose near the edge?

Another example, Whitehorse or any other large multi-pitch area. Unless your there ass early, there could be a party on a near-by route, or a few pitches up the route you want to climb. What's the suggestion? Don't do the route, go elsewhere? Or hang back a pitch and have a hemet incase they do drop a piece of gear?

Another example. A popular top-roping cliff (enter crag of your choice) where people are hiking trails across the top of the cliff. Constant new erosion, normal tree debris, ect. Someone could knock something loose, and a strong breeze or a rain storm could push it over the edge.

Another example, early spring climbing, right after freeze-thaw conditions. IE Cannon Mountain, NH.

People can leave stuff on ledges the day before you climb at an area and maybe it'll cut loose while your under it.

I just think there can be so many things going on above you that you don't know about, that often it's a very good idea to wear a helmet.

It's a comfort issue, I just believe these points have merrit.

Cheers,
Jim

adnix

Dec 17, 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #61 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So if you guys are so good that you can hang on to broken holds and casually toss them aside, I assume you don't ever fall either? So in addition to leaving the helmet at home, you might as well leave the rope, right?
We do fall. But only when it's "allowed". You need ropes for rappeling and stands. And those well protected crux moves.

adnix

Dec 17, 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #62 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most mountaineers wear helmets actually.

How do you avoid climbing other parties on routes like “the Nose, Arches, and serenity” or other long all day multipitch routes?

Falling is a part of climbing. If you think climbing is unsafe, then why do you even use a rope, gear, and harness?
Serious mountaineerig is a different game. You'll know if you've ever practised it. I'd doubt you haven't.

Climbing below other parties is best avoided by not climbing directly below them. The trick is not to get hit. And there are still moments when you can be on you own on the Nose.

You should know when not to fall. That's the key. It's not about always avoiding a fall.

adnix

Dec 17, 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #63 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a lazy reader and I need to summarize a little:

In reply to:
1. My biggest problem with the modern helmet crowd is that in practice, and among other things, it has replaced the DO NOT CLIMB UNDERNEATH OTHER PEOPLE rule. Lets see, which makes more sense? Wear a helmet in an effort to protect yourself from people dropping things on you or don't climb underneath the people in the first place?

So the newbie crowd has discarded the idea of not falling on easy routes. Discarded the rule of not climbing under other people. Discarded the idea of learning how to follow before they start leading. Decided that dropping a rock on their partner, it isn't their fault. After all of that, they go out and buy a helmet and talk about how much safer they are because of it, and how anybody who doesn't wear a helmet must be stupid.

2. As far as falling and hitting your head on a rock? I have taken, belayed, or witnessed something on the order of 10,000 to 20,000 falls. Couple broken ankles and a bunch of dropped climbers sums up the injury tally. No concussions, no scalp injuries, maybe someone chipped a tooth. Never any helmets. The key was not falling in such a way as to hit your head. People seem to think that isn't possible. Practice shows that it is.

3. I know a number of thirty year climbers that are so bold and seemingly reckless (one biner belays, running out pitches, not placing gear for the second.) that I tend not to climb with them. Unless, I am feeling particularly adventurous... Anyway, these guys will pretty much NEVER climb underneath another party. Sorry, but even with all their crazy antics, these guys are still probably safer than most of the conservative newbies.

4. If you're wearing a helmet, and you get hit in the head by a rock. Seems like most people on this site would say "good thing I bought a helmet." If someone was really interested in staying alive, their response would be more on the lines of "O>K> dumbass, what did I do wrong that led to my getting hit on the head with a rock?"

5. I will also say this. Just because someone plays at being a safety nazi doesn't guarantee that they are safe climbers.

6. None of this should be taken as encouraging anyone not to wear a helmet.
It doesn't matter if you wear helmet or not but:

a) don't climb on the line of fire (ie. where rocks fall)
b) don't drop rocks on party below. this can be learned.
c) learn how to fall properly and learn when not to fall
d) helmet is no solution to the problem of falling objects or falling where you shouldn't

And it can be noted that someone with big emphasis on safety is usually not too safe in the reality. Adopting to the changing environment is the key. Not routines.

Wear a helmet if it's necessary but don't forget thinking twice before you do it. It might not solve the real problem.

gds

Dec 17, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #64 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
.......I have personally witnessed three events where wearing a helmet prevented a serious injury. Two involved rockfall and one a pendulum fall that resulted in a pretty hard crash into a corner. None of these were "the fault" of the climber.

Please explain why these events are not the fault of the climber.

1) Rockfall caused by hikers at top of cliff
2) Foothold broke and fell on belayer
3) Climber simply came off and pendulumed. Sure he was at fault for falling but if falling isn't allowed then no rope is needed.

petsfed

Dec 17, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #65 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
.......I have personally witnessed three events where wearing a helmet prevented a serious injury. Two involved rockfall and one a pendulum fall that resulted in a pretty hard crash into a corner. None of these were "the fault" of the climber.

3) Climber simply came off and pendulumed. Sure he was at fault for falling but if falling isn't allowed then no rope is needed.

On number 3, the climber shouldn't have fallen in that situation. If you're not at risk of pendulumming or slamming your head into something, fall until you're happy. Your argument is similar to the climber who falls doing proless psuedo solo. It's the climber's fault that he fell. He shouldn't have been there to begin with. See? There is no shame in backing off. There is considerable shame in getting yourself injured or worse in a place you should have the good sense not to be in.

No amount of equipment will make you completely safe, but improper usage of your most useful tool, your brain, is guaranteed to get you killed.

When you're run out above bad pro: you shouldn't fall.
When you're risking a bad pendulum: you shouldn't fall.
When you're simul climbing: you shouldn't fall.

See how this goes?

As far as the foothold falling on the belayer, well, had he been paying attention, he might've dodged it. As it stands, it was mighty handy to have a helmet on, but if the foothold was big enough to really injure him, the climber should've better tested it and (noting it was no good) not stood on it!

jcinco

Dec 17, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #66 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Thanks, but you only explained what happened in those situations, not why the climber was not at fault. In each case, it is clearly the climber (or belayer) who shares fault. As for #3, falling is allowed... but falling is not allowed when a pendulum is likely.

That is the point of the original post. A lot of climbers these days write off events such as those listed above as typical crag occurences which are outside of their realm of control. They think that by wearing a helmet, they can climb safely where rockfall is common, stand directly under a climber, pull/step on loose holds, or get careless when falling is not allowed.

Yes, by all means, wear your helmet, but judgement and common sense are what provide the most safety.

gds

Dec 17, 2004, 7:35 PM
Post #67 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

On number 3, the climber shouldn't have fallen in that situation. If you're not at risk of pendulumming or slamming your head into something, fall until you're happy. Your argument is similar to the climber who falls doing proless psuedo solo. It's the climber's fault that he fell. He shouldn't have been there to begin with. See? There is no shame in backing off. There is considerable shame in getting yourself injured or worse in a place you should have the good sense not to be in.

No amount of equipment will make you completely safe, but improper usage of your most useful tool, your brain, is guaranteed to get you killed.

When you're run out above bad pro: you shouldn't fall.
When you're risking a bad pendulum: you shouldn't fall.
When you're simul climbing: you shouldn't fall.

See how this goes?

As far as the foothold falling on the belayer, well, had he been paying attention, he might've dodged it. As it stands, it was mighty handy to have a helmet on, but if the foothold was big enough to really injure him, the climber should've better tested it and (noting it was no good) not stood on it!

Great response. So to be clear you believe that climbers should neither fall if they might get hurt or stand where something might hit them.

No one really argues that thinking is the most important part of being safe. BUT the reason we use any type of gear is that "stuff happens" and it is not always the result of bad decisions. I have no problem with others climbing sans helmet- or sans rope for that matter. But me--I'm going to do lots of things to reduce risk and that includes both the above.

curt

Dec 17, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #68 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan's orignal post really has nothing to do with whether or not a climber is safer wearing a helmet, per se. The answer to that all encompassing question can only ever be "it depends." I am surprised (but should not be, I suppose) at the number of responses to Dan here that indicate a fundamental lack of understanding, regarding Dan's excellent point.

I will try to restate, as simply as possible, Dan's point. Here it is:

You should take the time to learn where the real dangers in climbing, including those dangers involving potential head injuries, come from. If you do this, and then take precautions to remove yourself from those situations, to minimize the risk, you will be much safer than you would be by just wearing a helmet.

In fact, you will then be safe to the point where adding a helmet will afford you very, very little additional safety margin.

Curt

dirtineye

Dec 17, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #69 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All this hindsight is giving me a headache.

This notion that the climber can be all knowing, all seeing, anticipating every mishap and preventing it is just ludicrous.

Entirely too many people are saying things like, "Well if THAT happened, you should have forseen it and not done ________, and avoided the situation."

IF you really think climbing is so predictable, that you are so infallible, that every mistake and bad situation can be avoided, I'm guessing that your number has not come up yet. And it might never come up. But if it does, then maybe you'll have a different attitude.

gds

Dec 17, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #70 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ppp

gds

Dec 17, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #71 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks, but you only explained what happened in those situations, not why the climber was not at fault. In each case, it is clearly the climber (or belayer) who shares fault. As for #3, falling is allowed... but falling is not allowed when a pendulum is likely.

That is the point of the original post. A lot of climbers these days write off events such as those listed above as typical crag occurences which are outside of their realm of control. They think that by wearing a helmet, they can climb safely where rockfall is common, stand directly under a climber, pull/step on loose holds, or get careless when falling is not allowed.

Yes, by all means, wear your helmet, but judgement and common sense are what provide the most safety.

And my argument is that there is a difference between a bad result stemming from a bad decision and a bad outcome coming from just a statistical bad event.
No need to debate the concept of shared liability. I agree. But the reality is that climbing has lots of objective danger. Different climbers do different things to mitigate (or not) that risk. Good learning and good decision making are the most important tools and in that I agree with the OP.
But I disagee that using other things necessarily means you don't pay attention to the two main factors.

Maybe its my age. I'm 60. I don't heal fast anymore. I don't want to get hurt. I'll do anything to not get hurt.
PS I have never been injured (other than scrapes, etc) while climbing. I've never caused another to get injured. I always wear a helmet. So, ... .

curt

Dec 17, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #72 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This notion that the climber can be all knowing, all seeing, anticipating every mishap and preventing it is just ludicrous.

While it is not possible to be "all-knowing" it certainly is possible to avoid the situations and circumstances that Dan mentioned in his original post. (i.e avoiding bad rock, not climbing below other people, not pulling your rap rope while standing directly below, etc., etc.) And if you do these things, you will most assuredly be much safer than by merely strapping on a helmet. I don't even see how this is debatable.

Curt

climbsomething

Dec 17, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #73 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

First, it is common to see belayers standing well back from the wall at sport crags.
Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right. With a few exceptions, I guess (because there always are some) you don't want to be standing 15 feet back form the wall.

gds

Dec 17, 2004, 8:27 PM
Post #74 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thanks, but you only explained what happened in those situations, not why the climber was not at fault. In each case, it is clearly the climber (or belayer) who shares fault. ...

Well it certainly isn't clear to me that they were at fault--and I was there!

The idea that one "shouldn't" fall in certain situations is not real clear. Sure experinced climbers understand and respond to "should not fall" situations but I have seen solid 5.11 leaders fall on 5.8. I have seen "tested" holds break. Come on there is lots of objective danger.

And of course, good judjement is most important--but wearing a helmet does not negate that--that's my point.

dirtineye

Dec 17, 2004, 8:30 PM
Post #75 of 149 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

While it is not possible to be "all-knowing" it certainly is possible to avoid the situations and circumstances that Dan mentioned in his original post. (i.e avoiding bad rock, not climbing below other people, not pulling your rap rope while standing directly below, etc., etc.) And if you do these things, you will most assuredly be much safer than by merely strapping on a helmet. I don't even see how this is debatable.

Curt

IT's not debatabale. Who is debating that is is good to tape precautions and be careful and avoid the bad situations that you can avoid?

But the drift of the thread had headed to a notion that any bad situation can be avoided, and that is not true. Even if it were true that every bad situation could be avoided, experienced climbers obviously do not avoid every bad situation, just read Accidents in NAM for proof. Even good climbers, safe climbers, screw up.

In your last post, you were doing great til you said that a helmet will only provide marginal safety if you take all the other precautions. I just don't believe that.

To me, the helmet provides no safety until you are in the crap situation, then, it provides a huge safety bonus. Your argument is similar to saying that if you are a very careful driver, you don't always need your seat belt, and you can choose the right time to wear it, and that it only provides marginal safety anyway, since you are taking all these other precautions.

I'm saying that you can take every precaution, and still something bad can happen, and if you don't have your helmet on when it does, you might not live to regret it.

I think what is not debateable is that you should be prudent, be aware of the climbing situation, and take precautions. Helmets are for when the shit hits the fan, and you can never know when that will be, so I wear mine most of the time when I'm climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook