RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

geekguyandy

Dec 19, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #1 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

flying with ice gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bet this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything. In 2 weeks I'm flying from NH to OH (so not international) and I wanted to bring ice axes and crampons. I know sharp objects are not friendly on planes. Is it ok to put them in checked luggage? Do yoiu have to show the TSA guys? I just don't want to get there and have to ditch some expensive gear! Thanks.

climbersoze

Dec 19, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #2 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Re: flying with ice gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.tsa.gov/...ibited_7_24_2003.pdf

According to this link, you can carry damn near anything in your checked bags including: axes, ski poles, guns, bows and arrows, nunchukas.... and it specifically states you can carry ice axes.

You may want to print it out and carry it with you in case there is a question at the airline. This is the official TSA web site, so it should help you out.

rendog

Dec 19, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when I flew from Calgary to Denver, I brought my ice gear with me. I had my crampons in the front puch of my pack and the axes in thier sleeves.

the only difference from when I normally pack my gear up was that I took the picks off for the trip. if you can't take them off, I would suggest that you wrap something (cardboard/duct tape etc)

nothing was said to me by the airport athorities about my ice gear.

Plus my flight was international. and still I didn't have any problem, they never even searched my stuff :D

"D"

tradjunkie

Dec 19, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no worries man. i've flown a dozen times with my ice gear and never had a problem. just check it. make sure the your screws and picks are well padded or your bags will look like a block of swiss cheese at the baggage claim...

oh yeah, don't try and carry on a rope. they gave my friend a hard for that once. they said that with all that rope he could tie up the whole plane. i say if you can tie up 200 people ith a 60m rope in a timely fashion you should be doing S&M info-mercials.

swing, swing, kick, kick......

Partner gunksgoer

Dec 19, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

although i am not an ice climber, i have seen that ice tools are specifically mentioned on the list of banned items to have in carry on bags. Id be safe and just check them, although taking out the picks might work ok too, but this would still leave you with something heavy you could potentially bash people with on the plane, so u might get some trouble for that.

krustycowboy

Dec 19, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just be sure that you don't put anything valuable to a TSA baggage inspector (money, jewelry, bottles of Old Crow...) in the bag with climbing gear.

I travel quite a bit and my bag with gear always gets inspected (they leave a little slip of paper noting that they inspected it, but conveniently don't have any system of monitoring which person rifled through your stuff), which means there's a good chance something will get stolen.

atg200

Dec 19, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that seems pretty paranoid krusty. in the more than 300 flights i've taken in the last 4 years, i've never had anything taken from a bag. the folks flying in first class have way nicer stuff than we do.

you can check anything that won't explode. i brought back sharp swords from uzbekistan, and no one said a thing. looked very funny when i watched them go through the xray.

kobaz

Dec 19, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Possibly he's meeting some friends and going climbing later on in devils lake wisconsin? It's not that far of a drive from chicago.

Edited: Er, no wait, chicago isn't in ohio. Yeah what the heck are you climbing in ohio?

geekguyandy

Dec 19, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to college in NY, but bought ice gear and had it sent to my home in NH to use over xmas break. In 2 weeks I'm flying out to Ohio to see someone, than drive back to school in NY from there. So it's actually for NY but I just have to get through Ohio first. I didn't plan on using them there.

reno

Dec 20, 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #10 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great link, climbersoze! Thanks a million!

climbersoze

Dec 20, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #11 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely! I figured going directly to the source and posting up was better than saying "Well, my friend did this once, and it was ok".

Been doin a lot of "research" lately... pretty damn bored. lol.

reno

Dec 20, 2004, 4:30 AM
Post #12 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Absolutely! I figured going directly to the source and posting up was better than saying "Well, my friend did this once, and it was ok".

For certain. Facts are much better than anecdotal stories...

In reply to:
Been doin a lot of "research" lately... pretty damn bored. lol.

I have been doing research as well... Brain Naturopeptic Hormone levels in Acute Congestive Heart Failure is my current kick.

Wanna compare notes? ;)

climbersoze

Dec 20, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhhh.... duhhh.... uhhh

You win... but maybe I'll hit you up for some help on my homework when I start classes to get my EMT-P for Virginia. Fair enough?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook