RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

saskrock

Dec 22, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #1 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

BD Avalung II
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any one use this or have any info/experiences with it. Looks like the coolest peice of Avalanche gear I have ever seen.

scrapedape

Dec 22, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #2 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Re: BD Avalung II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any one use this or have any info/experiences with it. Looks like the coolest peice of Avalanche gear I have ever seen.

Yeah! It is sah-wheat! I can't wait to try mine out!!!!!!!!11

timd

Dec 22, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #3 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WHAAAAT!!!!- I sure hope you mean wearing it and not getting buried in avalanche :shock:

cjstudent

Dec 22, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #4 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah! It is sah-wheat! I can't wait to try mine out!!!!!!!!11

are you expecting an avalanche? :D

scrapedape

Dec 22, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #5 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WHAAAAT!!!!- I sure hope you mean wearing it and not getting buried in avalanche :shock:
Well, I mean wearing it when the avalanche hits me. It'll be fun! Just like snorkeling, right?

climbingnurse

Dec 22, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #6 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has there every been a case where one of these has actually been used effectively in a non-testing environment. Or in other words, did anyone wearing one of these ever get uncovered 10+ minutes later still alive?

timd

Dec 22, 2004, 4:45 AM
Post #7 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good call climbingnurse :wink:

therealdeal

Dec 22, 2004, 6:14 AM
Post #8 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i believe there is one (1) documented case of the avalung being of some beneficial use in a heli-skiing related avalanche in BC...i never cared enough to persue the details....

BTW, the "coolest" bit of "avalanche gear" i have seen lately is called "experience coupled with common sense".

it seems that the avalung does more harm than good as it encourages people like the ones in this thread to enter the backcountry before they educate themselves enough to figure out how to stay out of an avalanche in the first place.

far too many people these days don't take the time to learn snow on their own and expect devices to keep them safe as they engage in so called "extreme" activities that the rest of us call day to day...and many of you fools end up paying the ultimate price.

don't let black diamond fool you...and don't drop in above me asshole!

gnubbs

Dec 22, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #9 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="therealdeal"]i believe there is one (1) documented case of the avalung being of some beneficial use in a heli-skiing related avalanche in BC...
Okay, this seems a bit harsh to me. The Avalung, from all test scenarios and maybe a documented case or two, could very well buy you a couple of extra minutes when you need it most. Isn't the number something like 28% of people buried are recovered alive? Now, I definately agree that the goal should be knowledge and avoidance, but it seems like this could be something worth having.

One of the few things that I have learned about the mountains is that no matter how well prepared, they can always still bite. What are my chances of falling on a 5.4 route? Not very high, but I will use every tool that is appropriate to make sure that I don't die if I do fall.

Sure, I could let my partner belay me with a hip belay, but I would certainly prefer an ATC. This is similar. Knowledge probes and beacons have worked well for a while now. That doesn't mean we should discount a new tool that becomes available to us.

phatcat

Dec 22, 2004, 7:11 AM
Post #10 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i see where your coming from saying the ava-lung will cause people to take foolish risks, but the same can be said for beacons.

thedesertnomad

Dec 22, 2004, 1:11 PM
Post #11 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well, I mean wearing it when the avalanche hits me. It'll be fun! Just like snorkeling, right?

Imagine snorkeling in the surf of Hawaii (25 footers) with 25 degree water... oh yeah and boulders and trees in the water with you. Sounds awesome.... :?

scrapedape

Dec 22, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #12 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Imagine snorkeling in the surf of Hawaii (25 footers) with 25 degree water... oh yeah and boulders and trees in the water with you. Sounds awesome.... :?

Christ! Do I really have to spell it out for you?

Gimme an S
Gimme an A
Gimme an R
Gimme a C

You get the idea.

Or do you?

sarcat

Dec 22, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #13 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The biggest problem with the Avalung thing is getting the mouthpiece/tube actually into you mouth before/during a slide. You almost gotta keep it there nonstop for it to BE there when you need it.

There was a fatality in UT a few days ago where the guy was only burried for a few minutes. He most likely died from trauma. Next in the BD research lab is a titanium body avasuit. Can't wait to try one of those suckers out.

therealdeal

Dec 22, 2004, 3:06 PM
Post #14 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i believe there is one (1) documented case of the avalung being of some beneficial use in a heli-skiing related avalanche in BC...

Okay, this seems a bit harsh to me. The Avalung, from all test scenarios and maybe a documented case or two, could very well buy you a couple of .

actually, not all test scenarios. i watched one administered by colin grissom (one of the things developers) up on berthoud pass...and the thing did not work for shit...

but yeah, i think they could be beneficial...but probably more so for the professional than the everyday skier. but moreso they are just a bit of flashy gear that BD can irresponsibly market and jam down the consumers throat.

I just think that the point about experience and common sense being the best tools is one that is overlooked far too often.

someone said:
i see where your coming from saying the ava-lung will cause people to take foolish risks, but the same can be said for beacons.

i agree completely. beacons have led many people into a false sense of security....but they are also proven to be far more useful than the avalung.

anyway...just what i think

olderic

Dec 22, 2004, 3:08 PM
Post #15 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Gimme an S
Gimme an A
Gimme an R
Gimme a C

You get the idea.

Or do you?

Can I buy a vowel? And an "S" and an "M". But really using a 3 syllable word - don't you think that is going to be a bit tough for most rc.comers?

killclimbz

Dec 22, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #16 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The avalung II can be a handy addition to your avy gear. You still first need some avy sense, a beacon, shovel, probe. After you know how to judge avalanche terrain and use the gear, should you be considering an avalung.
The best argument I have heard for the avalung, was from a guy who got buried at Butler Gulch a season or two back. It was a shallow burial and he was recovered in something like 4 minutes. He stated in the four minutes he was buried he could barely breathe at all, and that it was a rather frightening experience. After that experience he went out and bought an avalung.
You still have to get the mouthpiece in and keep it there for it to work. Overall, it could be a nice supplemental piece of gear and may help keep you a little calmer should you be in the unfortunate position of getting buried. That is of course if the rock, ice, getting pinballed into trees, doesn't kill you first...

scrapedape

Dec 22, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #17 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Gimme an S
Gimme an A
Gimme an R
Gimme a C

You get the idea.

Or do you?

Can I buy a vowel? And an "S" and an "M". But really using a 3 syllable word - don't you think that is going to be a bit tough for most rc.comers?

:lol:

timd

Dec 23, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #18 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing is better than common sense and knowledge. One can have all the fancy gear in the world, but if you don't know what you are doing in the back country it may not help you. S.A.R. will just find you in the spring with all that fancy gear.

fear

Dec 23, 2004, 5:52 AM
Post #19 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it adds 5% to your chances of survival is it worth it to you?

Obviously if you're "pinballing" into trees you're probably dead anyway. Most slides around here though aren't the 2 mile tree-snapping 200mph monsters you see on TV. 2 feet of wet slushy slab over your head is all it takes.

Anyone check out those avy balloons they're selling now? Pretty neat idea.

-Fear

duality4569

Dec 23, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #20 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.. Go to avalung.com and watch their video.

Partner yannbuse

Dec 23, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #21 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know whats weird, you pay $300 for a transciever and right after you buy it, you go, please god i hope in never have to use it. Its the one piece of gear that im conflicted on, ive had to use it (thank god for it) but then you put it on another time and its like arghhhh sh*t, you again. I think i would view the avalung the same way, a nice little love hate relationship..

yann

killclimbz

Dec 23, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #22 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nothing is better than common sense and knowledge. One can have all the fancy gear in the world, but if you don't know what you are doing in the back country it may not help you. S.A.R. will just find you in the spring with all that fancy gear.

Yeah and what does all that knowledge buy you? The fact that a good portion of people caught in avalanches are experienced backcountry travelers.

Better to have the gear and not need it, than to need it and not have it

tallnik

Dec 23, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #23 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah and what does all that knowledge buy you? The fact that a good portion of people caught in avalanches are experienced backcountry travelers.

Better to have the gear and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Amen...

adnix

Dec 23, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #24 of 24 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought Avalung II half price once. Don't really like the tube swinging right next to my face... It is annoying and looks stupid. Otherwise it's pretty nice gadget.

Might be useful if you really want to roll the dice on fresh powder days.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook