Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

theturtle

Dec 23, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #1 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Sherman's Not A Sellout!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had the pleasure of discussing the issue of John Sherman's employment with the Western Land Group, and his involvement with the probable closure of Queen Creek, with Sherman himself last Friday.

John is NOT supporting the closure for Queen Creek. His employment is based on his ability to locate and develop NEW climbing areas, in this case as an alternative to climbing at Queen Creek.
As a geologist who is commonly employed by the mining industry, John understands the the plight of Queen Creek and also knows that the power of a mining claim is much more powerful than a bouldering contest. If John does not succeed in locating a suitable climbing area to compensate for the loss of Queen Creek he DOES NOT support the closure of the area.
Unfortunatly, the mining company will close it anyway.

I know that Queen Creek is an important crag and I hate to lose it to "The Man" like that, but perhaps with John Sherman's help and expert crag finding ability, something good will come of this tragic loss.

atg200

Dec 23, 2004, 4:34 AM
Post #2 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sherman's Not A Sellout! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sssshhhhhh! the lynch mob won't have anything to do!

elvislegs

Dec 23, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #3 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

big props for going to the source.

nicely put.

veep23

Dec 24, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #4 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the mining company paying Sherman? Sounds like it. Is what he is doing basically "pr" for the mining company? Sounds like it. Is he a sellout? Sounds like it. I'm sure there are plenty of locals scouting out new areas for the good of the community. What Sherman is doing is providing the mining company with the ammunition to say "we compromised with the climbers and did everything in our power to provide them with an alternative location."

slavetogravity

Dec 24, 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #5 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What Sherman is doing is providing the mining company with the ammunition to say "we compromised with the climbers and did everything in our power to provide them with an alternative location."
As apposed to. "Compromise!? screw you!!"
Or better yet. "Climbers? What's a climbers?"

Partner pt

Dec 24, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #6 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is the mining company paying Sherman? Sounds like it. Is what he is doing basically "pr" for the mining company? Sounds like it. Is he a sellout? Sounds like it. I'm sure there are plenty of locals scouting out new areas for the good of the community. What Sherman is doing is providing the mining company with the ammunition to say "we compromised with the climbers and did everything in our power to provide them with an alternative location."

At least Sherman is trying to find some compromise and actively working with the mining company rather than bitching on some internet forum. We're all hypocrits if we don't at least understand the need for mining.

timstich

Dec 24, 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #7 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm more than willing to give Sherman the benefit of the doubt.

veep23

Dec 24, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #8 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At least Sherman is trying to find some compromise and actively working with the mining company rather than b---- on some internet forum. We're all hypocrits if we don't at least understand the need for mining.

Yeh except he's not working WITH the mining company... he is working FOR the mining company. And is it a compromise? Doesn't sound like it. It sounds like pr. Is there a comparable area up for grabs near Pheonix? I don't know... locals seem to think not.

agentblue

Dec 24, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #9 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure why it was this that brought me out of lurking but...
Sherman's intentions might be all well and good - however this is mostly irrelevant if the mining company's intentions for having him are not. Co-optation is very useful for situations like this company is in, and it sounds like that is exactly what they need him for.

curt

Dec 25, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #10 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
John is NOT supporting the closure for Queen Creek. His employment is based on his ability to locate and develop NEW climbing areas, in this case as an alternative to climbing at Queen Creek.

As you are aware, I also give Verm the benefit of the doubt, regarding his motives. But, let's be brutally clear here--John Sherman is being paid by Resolution Copper Company's consultant (WLG) for the sole purpose of helping Resolution accomplish their objective of obtaining ownership of the Oak Flat campground area. If that were not the case, they would not be paying him.

In reply to:
As a geologist who is commonly employed by the mining industry, John understands the the plight of Queen Creek and also knows that the power of a mining claim is much more powerful than a bouldering contest.

Actually, John is normally employed as a geologist by the oil industry, rather than the mining industry, as that is where his expertise is. More importantly, we believe that Resolution Copper company does not currently have the mineral rights to the copper beneath the Oak Flat campground area. It is quite impossible for them to have a "mining claim" there currently, as that land has been withdrawn (a legal term) from all mining activity by Presidential order.

In reply to:
If John does not succeed in locating a suitable climbing area to compensate for the loss of Queen Creek he DOES NOT support the closure of the area. Unfortunatly, the mining company will close it anyway.

What you, and perhaps others, are missing here is that Resolution Copper will use Sherman's input to divide the climbing community in their opposition to closing Oak Flat to climbing--irrespective of what John's final verdict is.

Curt

theturtle

Dec 28, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #11 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you, and perhaps others, are missing here is that Resolution Copper will use Sherman's input to divide the climbing community in their opposition to closing Oak Flat to climbing--irrespective of what John's final verdict is.

Curt

I'm glad to see you respond curt, and I am aware that the mining company will use John's findings, against your efforts to save Queen Creek. However, I don't believe that Sherman finding new crags is a bad thing. He's already found and developed mega-areas like Hueco and Ibex. What if the "Friends of Queen Creek" prevail, stop Resolution Copper, and are still left with a list of new crags that Sherman scoped out? Most climbers would jump at the chance to get paid to scope new areas, especially to replace the high grade choss pile that is Queen Creek.

I am also aware that the mining company does not yet hold a mining claim, to the area. Their efforts and intensions toward Queen Creek are motivated by money, so if they think there is enough copper under Oak Flat to be able to afford to hire Sherman, battle you and the rest of the PHX climbers, secure a mining claim and then mine the copper, there must be a S#*tload of copper under there.

As you are aware curt, John Sherman is more of a climber than 99.9% of the users on RC.com. I speak in his defense only because he can't be bothered to defend himself against slanderous internet nerds.

Good luck in your effort curt, even a mediocre area like Queen Creek dosen't deserve the fate it has in store if you fail.

emjay

Dec 29, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #12 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is John Sherman a sellout?

That is a difficult question to answer, and I don't particularly care to speculate about it. That is an issue for John Sherman, his friends, family, and anybody else to whom John Sherman matters. I mean no disrespect to Mr. Sherman, whose chalk bag I am unfit to carry. I simply mean that his personal conduct and his ethics are of no great importance to the climbing community overall.

Do John Sherman's statements on the issue of mining Queen Creek have any credibility whatsoever?

Oh, that's an easy one. HELL NO! Regardless of Sherman's accomplishments as a climber, he is now a paid employee of those who wish to mine QC. Therefore, I have no regard for anything he says on the subject. Sure, he may claim that it's a done deal; that we can't do anything about it. Or maybe he just wants us to stop trying. He may claim that he's just trying to help us find alternative places to climb. Or he may be trying to divert our attention. What he says doesn't mean anything, because he may be getting paid to say it. What part of "vested interest" don't you understand?

I must say, this whole topic may have done us a service. For sure it has made me decide to become involved with the group that is opposing the mine companies and to do to do whatever I can to help save Queen Creek.

dominator

Jan 3, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #13 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, he is not a sellout. He is smart. He saw the inevitability of the QC situation and figured he would make a buck off the compnay and find replacement areas that are probably better. IMHO

mungeclimber

Jan 4, 2005, 7:36 AM
Post #14 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does John post on this forum? Maybe we can get his insight?

curt

Jan 4, 2005, 7:41 AM
Post #15 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does John post on this forum? Maybe we can get his insight?

If he does, he is certainly not going to post on this topic.

Curt

rockfax

Jan 4, 2005, 3:43 PM
Post #16 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but perhaps with John Sherman's help and expert crag finding ability, something good will come of this tragic loss.

Kind of a sock in the eye for local Phoenix/Queens Creek climbers that statement. Are they crap at finding new areas? Finding new areas isn't rocket science and John does not have a monopoly on finding and "developing" new areas.

Perhaps Rio Tinto are employing John because of his celebrity firepower in the climbing world. " Hey look we have John Sherman on our side. We must be the good guys." says Rio Tinto (subtext: if you are a climber and diss John Sherman you are a bad guy).

Seems to be a lot of fauning support for John from his accolytes, some justified undoubtedly but much just celebrity adulation without any objectivity.

Why is this so?

Can he not speak for himself?

Or has he signed a gag order on condition of collecting the lucre come payday?

Mick (Ryan)

areyoumydude

Jan 4, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #17 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
but perhaps with John Sherman's help and expert crag finding ability, something good will come of this tragic loss.

Kind of a sock in the eye for local Phoenix/Queens Creek climbers that statement. Are they crap at finding new areas? Finding new areas isn't rocket science and John does not have a monopoly on finding and "developing" new areas.

Perhaps Rio Tinto are employing John because of his celebrity firepower in the climbing world. " Hey look we have John Sherman on our side. We must be the good guys." says Rio Tinto (subtext: if you are a climber and diss John Sherman you are a bad guy).

Seems to be a lot of fauning support for John from his accolytes, some justified undoubtedly but much just celebrity adulation without any objectivity.

Why is this so?

Mick (Ryan)

Why would Sherman want to argue with a bunch of inter-net nerds that have no idea what they are talking about? Get real people.

curt

Jan 4, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #18 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Why is this so?

Mick (Ryan)

Why would Sherman want to argue with a bunch of inter-net nerds that have no idea what they are talking about? Get real people.

I suspect that John would want to discuss this even less with those of us who actually do know what we are talking about. Specifically, those of us who have met multiple times with our Congressional Staffs, Senate Staffs, the Governor's Office, mining engineers, land exchange experts, attorneys, The Access Fund, etc.

Curt

areyoumydude

Jan 4, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #19 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, haven't you talked to John about this? My point is why would he come here to talk about it.

curt

Jan 4, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #20 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Curt, haven't you talked to John about this? My point is why would he come here to talk about it.

Sure, I have talked to John about this and I intend to speak with him soon again. I also posted earlier that I doubt he would want to chime in here, but not because posters here are "internet nerds."

Curt

dingus

Jan 4, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #21 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sure, I have talked to John about this and I intend to speak with him soon again. I also posted earlier that I doubt he would want to chime in here, but not because posters here are "internet nerds."

Curt

A professional that makes his living in part from his name and reputation would be a complete fool to engage in online arguments with anonymous posters on rc.com (or anywhere else). He'd get slaughtered and he wouldn't even have the luxury of knowing who was taking pot shots at him. Total no win situation, just look at this thread. It won't matter what he says or how he says it, his antagonists will swarm like bees.

So yeah, because we are internet nerds. Or rather, because of our nerd behaviors.

Cheers
DMT

sed

Jan 4, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #22 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we lose QC that will be a loss and I don't quite understand how that relates to what John is doing. There is no such thing as a replacement for QC, it is unique as all areas are, for better or worse. It does occupy an important niche in the phx climbing community because it offers a lot of climbs relatively close to the valley, with climbing options throughout the 4 seasons, for example the pond during winter, atlantis during summer. finding another area doesn't seem related to this loss of QC. there is so much rock in AZ, and i mean from established sport to unclimbed adventure, that we really don't need another "established", easy access area in another location. we already have plenty of those all over the state.

mingleefu

Jan 4, 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #23 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What does the calendar look like for this negotiation? If such a possibility exists, when would Queen Creek be impacted? Are they planning development (or demolition, from a climber's pov) in the very near future? How long do I have to organize a climbing posse to visit before Queen Creek's time is up?

giza

Jan 4, 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #24 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmm....rhymes with vermin...must be a sellout.

curt

Jan 5, 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #25 of 36 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If we lose QC that will be a loss and I don't quite understand how that relates to what John is doing. There is no such thing as a replacement for QC, it is unique as all areas are, for better or worse. It does occupy an important niche in the phx climbing community because it offers a lot of climbs relatively close to the valley, with climbing options throughout the 4 seasons, for example the pond during winter, atlantis during summer. finding another area doesn't seem related to this loss of QC. there is so much rock in AZ, and i mean from established sport to unclimbed adventure, that we really don't need another "established", easy access area in another location. we already have plenty of those all over the state.

Kindly name even one other area that could host the Phoenix BoulderBlast with its 700 competitors in many different skill levels, and also with 2,000 spectators.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook