RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

e_wire

Dec 22, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #1 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Castle Rock or Yosemite
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm flying to the Bay area for work on Jan 4th. I will have the whole day of Jan 5th to climb. I'm looking at bouldering - less gear needed! - at either Yosemite or Castle Rock. What do you recommend? I've never been to neither...

Anyone interested on coming along with a crazy French-Canadian and bring a crash pad at the same time?

Let me know!

e_wire

lambone

Dec 22, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #2 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Re: Castle Rock or Yosemite [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard Yosemite is an ok place to climb, but I wouldn't recomend it.

e_wire

Dec 23, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #3 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard Yosemite is an ok place to climb, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Huh - if you say so! :shock: I heard they have multi-pitch boulders... No?

jpdreamer

Dec 23, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #4 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Yos is.. 6ish hours away from San Fran I think. So keep that in mind when planning your time. I'd say first off to climb where the weather will be better, second off where you can get a local to show you around. Castle Rock is sandstone, Yos obviously granite, so if you have a great granite crag back home but havn't climbed on much sandstone go for Castle Rock, converse is true as well... All other things being equal, Yosemitte has way better scenery.

caughtinside

Dec 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #5 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yosemite is closer to 4 hours from the bay, not 6. Castle rock is 1.5 from SF, with light traffic.

climbingbums

Dec 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #6 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a couple of the recent replies are the stupidest things ive ever heard. Yosemite ok??? ok??? the best climbing in america. as far winter, id say itll be fairly cold, especially for bouldering. but i take personal offense to the fact that some people claim that it sucks. sorry if it has nothing to do with your question, ive just never seen people rag on the valley.

Bobby

mattm

Dec 23, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #7 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
a couple of the recent replies are the stupidest things ive ever heard. Yosemite ok??? ok??? the best climbing in america. as far winter, id say itll be fairly cold, especially for bouldering. but i take personal offense to the fact that some people claim that it sucks. sorry if it has nothing to do with your question, ive just never seen people rag on the valley.

Bobby

Sometimes there is a dire need for a symbol that indicates SARCASM for those that miss it - Lambone was joking...

One day - in Jan? yeah - stay local - 8+ hrs in the car to the valley that could be darn cold isn't a good time - Check out Diablo with a sport rack too - warmer on the east side

robja

Dec 23, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #8 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumor has it some weather may or may not move into the Bay Area in the next couple of weeks, that being the case, sandstone would need time to dry out before being climbable. Castle Rock could be too wet!! Valley could be buried in snow!! My suggestion would be to bring your shoes and decide when your out here! Good Luck!!

barc

Dec 23, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #9 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the weather's bad you could go to pinnacle national mon. Maybe too far.

alvchen

Dec 23, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #10 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the weather has been dry, hit up Castle Rock. Those slopers will stick like none other.

Yosemite on the other hand will be really really cold. But if you're up for the long haul, it's definitely worth the trip. Since you've never been to Yosemite, even if you can't climb, the sights alone are worth the trip.

e_wire

Dec 23, 2004, 3:15 AM
Post #11 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is just great! Lots of info but no consensus! I was expecting that!!! The info on the rock, weather and temperature is helpfull. If all fails - I'll setle for a simple hike. I'll bring shoes and cholk and decide upon arrival at SFO.

Thanks all for taking time to respond.

e_wire

mungeclimber

Dec 25, 2004, 8:51 AM
Post #12 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pinnacles was mentioned but doesn't really have very much good developed bouldering. If that is the only place that is dry, pm me and I'll give you some info.

Castle is close and has a ton of stuff. I'd offer to show you the place, but I'll be working on the 5th. 4th instead?

Anyways, have fun.

crackmd

Dec 25, 2004, 9:08 AM
Post #13 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Castle Rock is a fun place to boulder and you will have a good time there. Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places you will ever set eyes on. If you are looking for a lasting memory, your choice is clear whether you are able to climb or not.

josephgdawson

Dec 25, 2004, 9:23 AM
Post #14 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the Bay Area, specifically, in Berkeley, is Indian Rock. This is 30 mins from SF. There is plenty of bouldering there. It will keep you busy for a day.

Castle Rock is going to be a better bet that Yosemite for bouldering I think.

OK, I dont get what some of these people are talking about. Yosemite is three hours from SF unless you drive like grandma. Hammer down on that pedal. Unless there is a storm there is plenty of climbing there during the wintertime. Look up Pat & Jack Pinnacles for just one place. I guess this is not bouldering though.

Mount St Helena. This is a sport crag with loads of short sport routes. It is about two hours from SF near Calistoga. This is my favorite place near the Bay Area for climbing. The rock is volcanic and has lots of nice pockets. This makes for a nice daytrip.

The Pinnacles is about 2 hours from SF. Sport and Trad. Rock is kinda odd there. Another nice daytrip.

There is some bouldering in Sugarloaf which is about 2.5 hours from SF on Highway 50 on the way to Tahoe. I have only been there once and it was not to boulder. Couple of moderate trad routes and plenty of hard trad and sport routes.

If the 5th falls on a Sat or Sun, email me and Ill go climbing with you.

dynosontrad

Dec 30, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude! dont be lazy....grab your rack and go to Yosemite...ive never been to castle rock but i lived in Yose for awhile.... i get all crazy just thinkin about it... go climb like 5 or 6 pitches....if you need a partner i can probably help you out...maybe?....GO TO YOSEMITE YOU FRENCH MO-FO....ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

areuinclimber

Dec 30, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bay area sandstone is pretty much out of the question unless it stops raining tonight. and yosemite i hear is supposed to get dumped on (if not already) as is the rest of the sierra's, please correct me if im wrong.

later

boz84

Dec 30, 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #17 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well Yos is.. 6ish hours away from San Fran I think. So keep that in mind when planning your time. I'd say first off to climb where the weather will be better, second off where you can get a local to show you around. Castle Rock is sandstone, Yos obviously granite, so if you have a great granite crag back home but havn't climbed on much sandstone go for Castle Rock, converse is true as well... All other things being equal, Yosemitte has way better scenery.

Yosemite is granite?

Damn...

Umm, nope, no it aint. There is some granite, but its actually has plenty of granodiorite, diorite, especially on the NA wall.

karlbaba

Dec 30, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #18 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right, Yosemite isn't granite, it's also trees and dirt and whatnot.

But if Yosemite isn't granite, no-place is granite. Folks get the general idea.

For the sake of accuracy, Yosemite is a 4 hour drive from the bay area plus extra time for traveling during times of traffic which is often. Snow on roads can add additional delays.

I've climbed in a t-shirt during every month of the year in Yosemite, but the weather forcast is bleak, bleak, bleak, so you'll need a stroke of luck to get clmbing on the 5th. At least in the bay area you could to to the gym.

On the other hand, yosemite could be worth it for just the beauty, but if the rain is hammering, it might not be worth all that time driving.

Peace

karl

dynosontrad

Dec 30, 2004, 6:09 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man. yofukinsemite....sigh...

collegekid

Dec 30, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #20 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say go to castle rock and just hike around the forest (there's a bunch of trails and the place is gorgeous) and then afterwards hit up one of the Bay area's number of high quality indoor gyms to get a workout. I know the Touchstone gyms are pretty nice, but I've only been to the San Jose gym.

collegekid

Dec 30, 2004, 7:09 AM
Post #21 of 21 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On second thought, if you have time, go to yosemite to hike...and then go climb in a gym near SF another day. It all depends on how much time you have though, since the drive to Yos is pretty tough for a one day trip.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook