RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tanner

Dec 28, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Alpine axe lenght
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, guys and gals

What size alpine axe do you use and how tall are you? Would you go shorter or longer than you currenty use? I'm 6' tall and have a 170cm axe and I think its a little long.

atg200

Dec 28, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpine axe lenght [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm 6'1". i retired my 75 because it is too heavy. now i go for the lightest axe i can carry, so i use a 65 or whippets.

timd

Dec 29, 2004, 7:18 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a good rule of thumb is to stand with your arms straight at your sides, while holding the axe by the haed the shaft should just touch the ground.
However if using it on steep snow slopes you may want it shorter so that it is easier to use. Hope that helps

sandbag

Dec 29, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, guys and gals

What size alpine axe do you use and how tall are you? Would you go shorter or longer than you currenty use? I'm 6' tall and have a 170cm axe and I think its a little long.

i think you mean 70cm
170cm would be about 5'6" and thats way to big......unless youre a friggin giant...then its perfect

:shock:

anykineclimb

Dec 29, 2004, 9:44 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe he's got an Alpenstock?

tuna

Dec 29, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 5' 11" and use a 66cm Air Tech. Works great for the steeper sections. I also carry one Leki 3pce pole for the flats and use it as a makeshift probe.

adamtd

Jan 1, 2005, 4:29 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 5'11". When it's not constantly steep, say 30 degrees with only a few steep sections, I carry a 70cm REI Mountain Axe or a 65cm BD Raven Pro (depends on how fast I want too move and if I'll be doing any boot axe belays). Ifthe majority of the route is between 50-60 degrees I carry a 55cm BD Raven Pro. I'll also use my axe in place of a tool whenever I can if there are sections of vertical or near vertical ice.

timstich

Jan 1, 2005, 5:05 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can chose an axe length that is more towards the walking cane function or one that is shorter for weight savings and ease of use for self arrest basically. So in the end it's not critical what the length is, as both sides of the spectrum have their benefits and detriments. You might try both and then go with what works for you. Some who chose the shorter axe will bring trekking poles to keep stable on the approach and switch to the axe when it gets steep. I went with the longer axe and am happy with that so far. When I can afford it I'll get some trekking poles and a short axe, too.

Partner wormly81

Jan 1, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some who chose the shorter axe will bring trekking poles to keep stable on the approach and switch to the axe when it gets steep.

Im no expert on alpinism but I feel I might have some information to add to this discussion. On the very few alpine climbs I have put up, both my ice axe (65cm raven pro ((im 6'1))) and my black diamond trekking/ski poles have been necessary equiptment. Moving up the drainage of Garnet canyon in Grand Teton National Park would be 10 times harder without a pair of trekking poles. If it werent for my poles I probably would have dumped head over heels several times while boulder hopping and navagating loose talus fields. Also, moving across such hostile terrain beats the hell out of your knees; poles help distribute shocks to your upper body and help save leg strength for when your going to need it (just look up).

Venturing out on steep snow early in your alpine career is a very interesting proposal. It usually means that you have little experience/confidence in your crampons and ability to self arrest (especially when it starts getting steep). These are the conditions under which you will bond with your ice axe in ways you thought were only possible with attractive members of the opposite sex. There are times that I have thought that a longer axe would be helpful, but I also feel that those times in which I really need and rely on my axe (aka the steeps) a longer axe would not be beneficial.

Jeff

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook