RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

mutts

Jan 5, 2005, 2:27 PM
Post #1 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

line for slack lining
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey. what line/rope would you peeps recommend for a little slacklining?? thanks for your time. T

edge

Jan 5, 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #2 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge moved this thread from General to Slacklining.

jb

Jan 5, 2005, 6:16 PM
Post #3 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Re: line for slack lining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, check the other posts in this forum.....there are tons....but it's 1" webbing....costs about 25 cents a foot and you need about 40-50 feet to start out and you need 4 or 5 biners.....it's tight.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 5, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #4 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, but to clarify jb's post, it's one inch tubular webbing. Get yourself some trees, some webbing, some biners, and you've got a slackline. :) You might be interested in this article if you want to know how to set it all up without getting into the complicated or expensive systems.

richie88

Nov 30, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Re: edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yo, wheres the best place to get a slack lining kit? im just a beginner!

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 1, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #6 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Re: edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yo, wheres the best place to get a slack lining kit? im just a beginner!

Might I suggest googling for a "slackline kit"? There are several on the market worth checking out.

You can always make your own out of biners and webbing or you can buy a complete premade kit anywhere from $35 to over $200. I suggest you check them all out and see which ones fit your needs and budget.

Just remember, if you do go the route of making your own, each piece of that set up should be dedicated for slacking and no longer used for climbing.

chalkfree

Dec 1, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #7 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skip the kit, it's too expensive.

Go to the site in my sig, there's a detailed description of how to set a slackline using a pretty cool method. You'll want 6 ovals and some 1 inch tubular, I use 70 ft to walk, and 10 on each end for anchors.

Good luck.

squierbypetzl

Dec 1, 2005, 4:17 PM
Post #8 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out coldclimbs article, it shows some awesome tightening systems.

You really only need 4 biners (ovals are best but Ds work fine) and your 1 piece of 1 inch tubular webbing (no need to cut the line, see the article).

The 1 thing to remember is webbing is cheap, expecpt for those last 2 ft you didnīt buy.

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 1, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Skip the kit, it's too expensive.
You'll want 6 ovals and some 1 inch tubular, I use 70 ft to walk, and 10 on each end for anchors.
Not to nit-pick but are you saying someone new to the sport get 6 ovals and 80 feet of webbing less than $35 to be solely dedicated to slacking? Thats $26 in web or more (by the time it is shipped). 6 biners alone would like run around $30, unless they are on a good sale or retired.

healyje

Dec 1, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #10 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep an open mind -

Dynamic and static 11mm rope, chain, and slack/tight wire cable of differing widths all walk interestingly different...

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 1, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #11 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Keep an open mind -

Dynamic and static 11mm rope, chain, and slack/tight wire cable of differing widths all walk interestingly different...

Yep, I've been playing with it recently. I've gotten good with chain, but tightly strung static rope really limits what I can do on a line. Cable and chain just seems harsh on my feet for much in the line of tricks though. Of course, that's a different thread altogheter.

Perhaps a different thread or article on tips for dealing with the difference between alternative mediums for slacking would be appropriate?

healyje

Dec 1, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #12 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep, I've been playing with it recently. I've gotten good with chain, but tightly strung static rope really limits what I can do on a line. Cable and chain just seems harsh on my feet for much in the line of tricks though. Of course, that's a different thread altogheter.

My main deal for 30 years has been 11mm cranked down with two pulleys and feel comfortable on cable and chains yet I have a hell of a time doing much of anything webbing...

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 1, 2005, 6:07 PM
Post #13 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My main deal for 30 years has been 11mm cranked down with two pulleys and feel comfortable on cable and chains yet I have a hell of a time doing much of anything webbing...

Well, we're way off topic, but the dynamic stretch in webbing makes for a entirely different type of balance. To me, webbing moves with you, rather than you having to move with the rope. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense, but it's the difference betwee static and dynamic balance. You have to expect it not to just move in an arch, but to stretch and bounce back against you. What that translates to is actually slowing down your reactions or at least making them smaller, going essentially limp at times, and learning to relax much more of your body than on static lines.

On a static system I always feel like I have to attempt to be as still as possible to minimize swings, on a dynamic system like web I realize that I need to move with the oscillations. It's all just symantecs and mind tricks I suppose. If you were in the area I'd be glad to help you get webbing down in exchange for some more tips on static systems.

squierbypetzl

Dec 1, 2005, 6:25 PM
Post #14 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje

Dec 1, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #15 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I think the O.P. actually got his question answered...

To tell the truth I can do webbing, I just don't like it at all. Dynamic 11mm rope cranked down with pulleys is anything but static! It's tighter than webbing; more like walking on a bow string - very, very bouncy with a faster frequency than webbing. It is also more predictable than webbing relative to possible amplitudes and localized movements of a section of webbing. In that last respect webbing is more like chain though it can't quite set up the disturbing harmonics of chain.

Bouncing on rope is so, so much more fun an responsive by comparison and running full tilt and sticking jumps onto a rope yields way better stick stats than webbing. Barefoot is certainly not a contest as is the question of which is the better medium for handstands for the very same reason.

Think of 11mm as a happy and bouncy medium between overly soft and dynamic webbing and rigidly static wire cables. It has always been my favorite. Chains on the otherhand are an acquired taste...

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 1, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #16 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bouncing on rope is so, so much more fun an responsive by comparison and running full tilt and sticking jumps onto a rope yields way better stick stats than webbing.
I'll just say that I have the opposite stats. Webbing won't roll underfoot, I've yet to get rope down to 1/50th the degree I have webbing down.

Perhaps it has to do with frequency of the oscillations and personal tastes for which speed? I tend to do better where slower to medium speed adjustments are required, such as on web, non-cranked rope or chain. After initial adjustments I find that each is pretty predicable, I just have different aptitudes on each.

Extremely tight slacklines are a bit different that the normal slackline. While they are much faster frequency they still have enough give and bounce to slow the ride out. I find I can treat those like trampolines and keep bouncing without issues and still do smaller arc yet fast surfing moves just fine - the stretch in it smoothes out the rebound. I might venture to suggest you try an extremely tight slackline, it will feel much like a static line without the rolling under foot.

Thick chain I can do, but it's pretty weird on it's own right. Zero stretch and clunky, heavy, slow swinging and it carries it's own momentum. However, it's swinging is minimal with zero bounce so it's a pretty predicable arc. Downside of course is it hurts like a mother when you fall on it and most places probably frown on it when you are walking on their "fence".

Static rope still will bounce some but the frequency of oscillations is much faster than web or chain but I'd assume less than wire. This, I have down to walking, but not much else yet.

Wire - not tried it to any degree yet. I can walk short spans I find around car lots without issue, but I haven't had much play time on them.

Edit: Sorry, no surfing in Missouri. I'm hoping to give it a shot in Southern CA this summer when I go. If anyone wants to teach me when I head out west I'd be all over it. Heck, not even a destination set and no idea on dates yet though.

healyje

Dec 1, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #17 of 17 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The biggest issue with bouncing on tensioned webbing (besides the "uusshhh" factor) is it happens in time lapse compared to 11mm. It's not much different than if you stepped on the gas but your car didn't move for a half-second and then got going. Or its like boucing, but in slo-mo - will the webbing please catch up- I'm bouncing here...!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook