RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

1873ak

Jan 6, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Anybody out there post-op for Gastric Bypass
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bit of history first.

I used to climb a good bit up until about 3 years ago. Unfortunately I had gradually gained weight until I was about 300# (I was always overweight). Well that doesn't work very well trying to hang onto anything very well, even 5.4.

I had Gastric Bypass surgery April 6, 2004 and have since lost down to 190# and am climbing again, quite a bit. I had the surgery because I was on the fast track to diabetes, had severe sleep apnea, rising blood pressure, and various other problems.

Was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is a post-op bypass and climber. I'm also trying to research energy foods that I can eat (bypass patients are very sensitive to sugars so I'm limited on what I can eat).

If anyone is interested I have a page of pics of my progress at http://www.csphotography.biz/us/

Anyway, thanks to all who respond.

Charles

slavetogravity

Jan 6, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anybody out there post-op for Gastric Bypass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW. Just checked out your profile. That's incredible. You must have people who know, not be able to recognise you all the time.
What's did this surgery cost?

1873ak

Jan 6, 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I walk up to people I know and get wierd looks until I start talking. They recognize the voice.

Surgery ran approximately $60,000 but our insurance covered it so out of pocket to us was less than $1,000.

It has made a huge difference in my life. I'm now heel hooking, doing overhangs in the gym that I wouldn't have dreamed of, and so much more.

crackmd

Jan 6, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles
Congratulations on making such positive changes in both of your lives. That's really great that you are climbing well. Your story could be real inspirational for many people suffering from obesity and its complications. Hope to see you out cranking hard at the crags.

1873ak

Jan 7, 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the kudos. Contrary to popular opinion, this is not an easy fix for severe obesity. It requires a lifelong commitment. But all of it is so worth it.

Cool thing is that I'm slowly but surely getting my wife into climbing too. She even bought her first pair of shoes and a harness and is really enjoying bouldering on the local gym wall. Kept telling her that the shoes would make a major difference. Now she believes me.

Later,

Charles

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook