RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

CragChaser24

Oct 11, 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #1 of 13 (9187 views)
Shortcut

Accident at Franklin Gorge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the climbers involved in the rescue executed Sunday October 7th. The victim is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries. I am simply posting this as a courtesy to those climbers who selflessly acted for a complete stranger, I was deeply touched by the effort of all the climbers on the scene. I would also like to thank Franklin EMS and their tactical rescue team for their rapid response. If any climber has the chance to take any type of self rescue or vertical rock rescue courses I would strongly advise you to do so. You never know when a close friend or even a complete stranger may need you to come to their aid. As I said earlier I will not be posting details of the incident. This post is meant for those who were on the scene and asked if I would post a update on the vicitims status. Thank you all once again.

Climb On

Partner j_ung

Oct 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #2 of 13 (9170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CragChaser24] Accident at Franklin Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As it should be. I for one am amazed (and not in a good way) when climbers nearby do not offer assistance. Speedy recovery to the victim!

kisaloca

Oct 11, 2010, 2:19 PM
Post #3 of 13 (9101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, so glad to hear he's doing so well! I know a lot of people have been wondering and hoping to hear good news. SO GLAD he's going to make a full recovery. Thank you so much for letting us know.

I too was very impressed that Franklin EMS was there almost instantaneously, and that basically every climber at the crag came over to help and offered all their gear to build the anchors. Definitely as it should be. After helping lower him off the hillside down to the ambulance, a couple climbers also cleaned up all the medical supplies/trash from the incident site before heading back up the hill. I thought the rescue effort was as good as you could ever hope for.

majid_sabet

Oct 11, 2010, 4:12 PM
Post #4 of 13 (8996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

CragChaser24 wrote:
I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the climbers involved in the rescue executed Sunday October 7th. The victim is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries. I am simply posting this as a courtesy to those climbers who selflessly acted for a complete stranger, I was deeply touched by the effort of all the climbers on the scene. I would also like to thank Franklin EMS and their tactical rescue team for their rapid response. If any climber has the chance to take any type of self rescue or vertical rock rescue courses I would strongly advise you to do so. You never know when a close friend or even a complete stranger may need you to come to their aid. As I said earlier I will not be posting details of the incident. This post is meant for those who were on the scene and asked if I would post a update on the vicitims status. Thank you all once again.

Climb On

without posting the details, no one will learn anything from this accident so be kind and post the details.

Regards

Rescuer

moose_droppings

Oct 11, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 13 (8976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CragChaser24 wrote:

Climb On

First of I'd like to wish for a speedy and full recovery to the climber.

Secondly, it's really nice to hear of the good things that come out of some accidents. Often their efforts are lost in the background.

Kuddos to all involved.

jackwill

Oct 11, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #6 of 13 (8933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for letting me know.

ClimbClimb

Oct 11, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #7 of 13 (8837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Accident at Franklin Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
without posting the details, no one will learn anything from this accident so be kind and post the details.

Let them be... I am usually with you on this, but this message was clearly meant as thanks and an update to those that were there & already know the details. It was polite and clear, and probably just happens to be in this forum b.c. it's the most likely place it will be seen.

Get well to the injured climber and best wishes to all.

notapplicable

Oct 12, 2010, 3:49 AM
Post #8 of 13 (8681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Regards

Rescuer

In another thread, this was posted...

jackwill wrote:
A second major incident occurred from the elevated ledge below Anchors Away today resulting an an large scale evac and air transport to WVU. Last year in a similar incident, a climber fell from that area with similar results. BE CAREFUL. The ledge is covered in small rocks and the 15' fall can be fatal. Recovering a injured climber from the hillside requires at least 2 hours to litter and transport even if qualified people are on scene.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...s;page=unread#unread

The ledge in question is the starting point for a handfull of routes and pretty wide, but not wide enough to belay and move around like you are at ground level, which is how most people behave. I'm not saying that was the cause of this accident but there have been several near misses from people moving around too casually up there.

moksha0000

Oct 14, 2010, 1:20 AM
Post #9 of 13 (8410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was very surprising/amazing how many climbers participated in the rescue effort, and aided in gear retrieval/clean-up.
There were two climbers from VA who had some gear from the rescue that did not belong to them. I believe it was a blue runner (24 inches), and locking biner?
I lost their contact information, but if your missing any gear put up a post.

Gmburns2000

Oct 14, 2010, 1:34 AM
Post #10 of 13 (8398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
CragChaser24 wrote:

Climb On

Regards

Rescuer

majid indirectly makes a good point...mods, maybe this should be moved out of A&I?

CragChaser24

Oct 14, 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #11 of 13 (8326 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by CragChaser24 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

boymeetsrock

Oct 14, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #13 of 13 (8173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Simmer with the delete talk Majid.

While I agree that analysis of accidents is very good for the community, not every single one needs to be picked apart. I think we've established some precedent for that over the last few years in this forum. No need to delete just because they wont give us all the gory details.

I feel that the OP is in the correct forum and should remain. Perhaps the only other location for it would be regional. Based on its content it could probably go either way.

I have no association or prior knowledge of this accident, but I too am glad to hear that a full recovery is expected. Best to all involved and cheers to all who assisted. We have to look out for each other.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook