RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #1 of 16 (12371 views)
Shortcut

Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

more at link ...

http://www.yakima-herald.com/...ng-and-unforgettable
It began with a startled yell.

Poised to make her next move up the wall, Steph Abegg looked up in time to see a climbing shoe, loose and falling, silhouetted against the sky. Even with all that was to happen over the next eight hours, she says, "That's the image that's stuck in my head."

A split-second later, two other objects followed the shoe -- a giant rock, dislodged from the mountain wall, and her climbing partner, Steve Trent.

The boulder tumbled past her. Trent slammed to a halt above her when the slack in his rope caught the second climbing piton he had hammered into the rock face. The top piton -- anchoring the rope connected to both Trent and Abegg -- was ripped from the wall by Trent's sudden weight.

The second piton held. So did the rope, despite being frayed to the core after zipping through the eye holes of numerous pitons.

Trent had fallen 60 feet and was dangling at the end of the rope, head down and unresponsive. Abegg, a 26-year-old graduate student at the University of Washington, couldn't see how badly he was hurt. She couldn't know, in those first few seconds, that he had a head injury and concussion. She couldn't see that his left femur -- the thigh bone, largest bone in the body -- was broken, or that his right heel had shattered.

But she could definitely see the blood on the rocks.

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Mar 29, 2012, 8:10 PM)

kennoyce

Mar 29, 2012, 7:59 PM
Post #2 of 16 (12328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
more at link ...

It began with a startled yell.

Poised to make her next move up the wall, Steph Abegg looked up in time to see a climbing shoe, loose and falling, silhouetted against the sky. Even with all that was to happen over the next eight hours, she says, "That's the image that's stuck in my head."

A split-second later, two other objects followed the shoe -- a giant rock, dislodged from the mountain wall, and her climbing partner, Steve Trent.

The boulder tumbled past her. Trent slammed to a halt above her when the slack in his rope caught the second climbing piton he had hammered into the rock face. The top piton -- anchoring the rope connected to both Trent and Abegg -- was ripped from the wall by Trent's sudden weight.

The second piton held. So did the rope, despite being frayed to the core after zipping through the eye holes of numerous pitons.

Trent had fallen 60 feet and was dangling at the end of the rope, head down and unresponsive. Abegg, a 26-year-old graduate student at the University of Washington, couldn't see how badly he was hurt. She couldn't know, in those first few seconds, that he had a head injury and concussion. She couldn't see that his left femur -- the thigh bone, largest bone in the body -- was broken, or that his right heel had shattered.

But she could definitely see the blood on the rocks.

Well, there is no link, but this is bearbreeder so I really shouldn't have expected one.

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 16 (12315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

link added for the h8tahs Wink

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Mar 29, 2012, 8:11 PM)

sp115

Mar 30, 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #4 of 16 (12173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
link added for the h8tahs Wink
Really well done. Quite a bit of drama for such a quick read. Thanks.

Partner j_ung

Mar 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #5 of 16 (12165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good read, except for this:

In reply to:

sp115

Mar 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #6 of 16 (12150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

In reply to:

Yeah but it has such a lyrical quality to it.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Mar 30, 2012, 12:59 PM)

Gmburns2000

Mar 30, 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #7 of 16 (12129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, definitely good to hear they all made it.

Not sure why Abegg and Venema couldn't go back down to get Schilling, though. Maybe I missed that part, but if they had the gear, they probably could have rigged something up. Of course, I'm not familiar with the terrain.

moose_droppings

Mar 30, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #8 of 16 (12072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A pretty good read and reminder how quickly fun disappears.

I read about this a few years back and if IRC it seems like it was written more from Schilling's perspective. It detailed what he saw or couldn't see for the days and nights spent in his cave waiting out the storm and his diminishing hopes of getting out. It gave a true sense of your life being at the mercy of the faith of others.

csproul

Mar 30, 2012, 4:10 PM
Post #9 of 16 (12062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's called "Mount Terror"!! What'd you expect!?

edge

Mar 30, 2012, 4:18 PM
Post #10 of 16 (12055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

In reply to:

Maybe he threaded pins on his rope before tying in. Saves on biners.*

*[/sarcasm]

majid_sabet

Mar 30, 2012, 4:47 PM
Post #11 of 16 (12040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

1-0, pretty intense when the rotor is that close to face of the mountain and 5 star to you for posting the link

I mean, this was the best post ever by you in RC

moose_droppings

Mar 30, 2012, 8:01 PM
Post #12 of 16 (11980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
1-0, pretty intense when the rotor is that close to face of the mountain and 5 star to you for posting the link

Yet.....still no stars on his post.

majid_sabet

Mar 30, 2012, 8:18 PM
Post #13 of 16 (11968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Yet.....still no stars on his post.

He is a 4 star wabitt hater

WOLF_Larsen85

Apr 1, 2012, 1:30 AM
Post #14 of 16 (11881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I glossed over it but, could they have given Schilling a bag with more climbing gear to get down and out on his own?Or were the conditions too bad for a retreat?

I'm not an experienced climber, I boulder mostly, but want to venture outside soon, and into the trad world. So I read as many of these articles as I can in my spare time, to try and learn something.

moose_droppings

Apr 1, 2012, 3:51 AM
Post #15 of 16 (11853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WOLF_Larsen85] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My memory is a bit dusty of the read from a couple of years ago, but I think the weather socked in so badly that Schilling could barely make out night from day except for a brief time here and there for several days. Their intention was to pluck him off the next day.

dagibbs

Apr 4, 2012, 3:55 AM
Post #16 of 16 (11674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WOLF_Larsen85] Heroic rescue on Mount Terror is stirring and unforgettable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WOLF_Larsen85 wrote:
Maybe I glossed over it but, could they have given Schilling a bag with more climbing gear to get down and out on his own?Or were the conditions too bad for a retreat?

I think down was interior -- not out. I think out was up and over.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook