RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

Nov 10, 2014, 7:26 PM
Post #1 of 8 (11645 views)
Shortcut

Preferred Dual Point Crampon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The front points on my old BD Cyborgs (pre SS) are worn out and I never really cared for these crampons (never fit my boot quite right for one).

Last year I climbed mostly in my mixed crampons (Cassin C-Comps - mono point crampons) or my husbands G-14s. I do like having dual point crampons when the ice is of lower quality or chandeliered, but I found the G-14s seemed a little wide and clunky.

Was looking at maybe picking up a pair of Petzl Lynx crampons. Opinions? comparison to any of the other crampons I've been using?

moose_droppings

Nov 11, 2014, 5:28 AM
Post #2 of 8 (11594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Preferred Dual Point Crampon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of the older Rambos with dual front points and they stick with an easy kick. I too had BD's for a while and have yet to try any Petzl's since going to Grivels.

The guy I ice climb with most of the time has a new pair of Rambo's with one vertical front point. I felt sketched standing and moving on one point. I feel much more secure with dual front points, but then I probably don't climb ice as difficult as you and your husband do.

The Lynx look like a sweet poon but sorry, I nor anyone I know have tried them, so no real comparison. I'd bet either Petzl or Grivels will be a step up from your current BD's.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Nov 11, 2014, 5:41 AM)

granite_grrl

Nov 17, 2014, 3:44 PM
Post #3 of 8 (11305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Preferred Dual Point Crampon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
The guy I ice climb with most of the time has a new pair of Rambo's with one vertical front point. I felt sketched standing and moving on one point. I feel much more secure with dual front points, but then I probably don't climb ice as difficult as you and your husband do.

That's just it, I have mono point crampons so when I want them I have them, but when the ice is lower quality I like dual points....and I can climb a lot of low quality ice in a season!

I think I'm going to pick them up, if only for the adjustability on the crampon bar. My ice boots are old Vasque M-Possibles. Nice and low profile, but I don't like how some crampons fit on them. I should consider taking my boots to a store and seeing how they fit, but I don't have one nearby that makes this easy to do.

rocknice2

Nov 17, 2014, 7:31 PM
Post #4 of 8 (11287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Grivel G22s. Nice and light.

granite_grrl

Nov 17, 2014, 7:38 PM
Post #5 of 8 (11283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Preferred Dual Point Crampon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
Check out the Grivel G22s. Nice and light.

They do look nice, and if they had replaceable front points I'd be all over them. I have the Darts on my fruit boots and would be open to something like the Dartwin too, but I can't justify crampons without replaceable front points!!!

rocknice2

Nov 18, 2014, 4:12 AM
Post #6 of 8 (11259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know how you feel. I used to kick Rambo 4 comps, then I went on a get light buying spree. I ended up with the G20's and really don't think I would ever go back even though I need to replace the entire crampon at a hefty $200. I've seen online that you can buy just the front but it's still expensive. Still the benefit of a light poon is worth the extra cost, for me at least.

granite_grrl

Nov 18, 2014, 1:29 PM
Post #7 of 8 (11226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Preferred Dual Point Crampon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
I know how you feel. I used to kick Rambo 4 comps, then I went on a get light buying spree. I ended up with the G20's and really don't think I would ever go back even though I need to replace the entire crampon at a hefty $200. I've seen online that you can buy just the front but it's still expensive. Still the benefit of a light poon is worth the extra cost, for me at least.

Yup, weight is definitely something to consider. But I'm a little more concerned about it if I'm mixed climbing. The crampons I'm considering will be pretty much just for ice.

Out of curiosity I looked up the weights of various crampons:

Cyborg - 1130g
G14 - 1100g
Lynx - 1080g
Stingers - 940g
G22 - 925g
Dartwin - 864g

And because I like my old C-Comps...

C Comp - 850g (!!!!)

One crampon that I didn't consider that I probably should have are the Cassin C14 (1130g btw). Cassin has been coming out with some good stuff for ice climbing the last few years.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Nov 18, 2014, 1:31 PM)

mikebarter387

Jan 8, 2016, 2:08 AM
Post #8 of 8 (8970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weight is the last consideration in ice climbing. Reliability and durability is the first. Give up on weight your most likely to lose the two. Your ice climbing not alpine climbing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook