Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

currupt4130

Mar 22, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #26 of 55 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chilli] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chilli wrote:
i gotta agree with currupt. i theoretically like misty, but the problem i had with the cadillac was that the webbing that they cut with the hot-knife on the waistband rubbed against my hip/stomach, and that was not kosher for long at all.

i also have to agree on the wild country harness. i have had the other one for a while now. i forget the name, but it has 5 gear loops instead of 7/9 and i get the whole multi-pitch rack on there fine. SUPER comfy. the only thing that took a little adjusting was the loop that goes around the webbing near the buckle of the leg-loops (just look at the buckles in the pic and you can see it). it kind of pt a littel extra pressure on the outside aspect of my thigh until i seated the adjustment a little better, so it's something to look out for i suppose.

I have the Elite Ziplock I think it's called. It has 5 gear loops and the one in the back has come in handy more times than I can count. It's great for carrying belay devices and cordalette. It makes for a great all around harness. Maybe not the best for long days hanging on aid though. The Syncro looks like it's better suited for that.

rock_fencer

Mar 22, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #27 of 55 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont even own tri-cams !

granite_grrl

Mar 22, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #28 of 55 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not about how much you climb that really wears out a harness, but rather if you do things like consistantly falling when you're out sport climbing. Things like bolting can be really hard on a harness too.

I wore through the protective layer on my tie-in points quite a while ago. I replace it by wrapping athletic tape around the tie-in points to continue to protect the structural stuff. I have had to change out the athletic tape a few times, but it has prevented any wear on the structural stuff.

I think I have gotten almost 4 season out of mine (and I also have a seperate harness I use for ice climbing too), but I'm really stretching it out and plan on retiring it this year.

rock_fencer

Mar 22, 2011, 4:45 PM
Post #29 of 55 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

contacted dead bird and waiting to hear back. Until then i'll hand stitch a new piece of webbing around it.

@ Granite_grrl - just havent fallen a bunch on it at all and i dont clip bolts to often. Hanging belays are going to be the only real wear i've put on it. Even aid, i usually try to be on the ladders and not hanging on the harness.

T

l3uddy789

Mar 22, 2011, 4:59 PM
Post #30 of 55 (2767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. GO to REI and buy all the good harnesses they have.
2. Go on a climbing trip with some buddies.
3. Try all the different harnesses
4. Return they ones you don't want.
5. Enjoy your new harness
6. if your REI is small ignore all the steps

rock_fencer

Mar 22, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #31 of 55 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [l3uddy789] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:

I'm not bringing six different harnesses on a multipitch climb. I've got a good gear shop about an hour and a half away i'll hit up this weekend.

rsd212

Mar 22, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #32 of 55 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:

Thats quite a dick move there. Last I checked, REI doesn't re-sell returned harnesses, they destroy them.

bearbreeder

Mar 22, 2011, 6:22 PM
Post #33 of 55 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just buy the harness from rei if dead bird doest take care of you ...

that way youll never worry about a worn out harness again ...

i bought my dead bird at mec .. and have already returned it due to the drop seat wearing out .... much easier than going through dead bird

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Mar 22, 2011, 6:26 PM)

shoo

Mar 22, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #34 of 55 (2739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:

You're an ass.

REI destroys returned life-critical goods. REI has a fantastic return policy. Please don't take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone else who isn't a douchebag.

rock_fencer

Mar 23, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #35 of 55 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so i contacted arcteryx through their warranty/repair and included a picture of the harness. They sent me back a generall warranty/repair email asking me to ship my harness out to them. Not going 3-4 weeks without a harness.

Just going to go get a new harness then maybe ship it out.

T

rtwilli4

Mar 23, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #36 of 55 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Contrary to all the other NC Misty worshipers, I hate Misty harnesses. Nearly every one I have worn or have seen other people wear always ends up sitting lopsided, with the tie in point rotated to one hip and a gear loop right in the middle of the back. I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems to be a theme. Love my Misty pad though.

It's because people fit them wrong. The harnesses seem to be designed with a large range and most people buy them too small. Simple as that.

Misty does custom sizing for free. If you need M legs and a L waist to keep the gear loops centered then they will make that harness for you and send it to you fast at no extra charge. They aren't the only company that does this but I'll take this as an opportunity to say that Misty Mountain makes the best harnesses in the world and if you don't like them then you are CRAZY!

I trad climb in the Caddy and spot climb in the Turbo. Except I got them to make my turbo black (no extra charge) because I don't like the red.

shockabuku

Mar 23, 2011, 4:04 PM
Post #37 of 55 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
csproul wrote:
Contrary to all the other NC Misty worshipers, I hate Misty harnesses. Nearly every one I have worn or have seen other people wear always ends up sitting lopsided, with the tie in point rotated to one hip and a gear loop right in the middle of the back. I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems to be a theme. Love my Misty pad though.

It's because people fit them wrong. The harnesses seem to be designed with a large range and most people buy them too small. Simple as that.

Misty does custom sizing for free. If you need M legs and a L waist to keep the gear loops centered then they will make that harness for you and send it to you fast at no extra charge. They aren't the only company that does this but I'll take this as an opportunity to say that Misty Mountain makes the best harnesses in the world and if you don't like them then you are CRAZY!

I trad climb in the Caddy and spot climb in the Turbo. Except I got them to make my turbo black (no extra charge) because I don't like the red.

When I climb at the spot I don't wear a harness.

rtwilli4

Mar 23, 2011, 4:10 PM
Post #38 of 55 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
csproul wrote:

When I climb at the spot I don't wear a harness.

Touche.

bearbreeder

Mar 23, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #39 of 55 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
so i contacted arcteryx through their warranty/repair and included a picture of the harness. They sent me back a generall warranty/repair email asking me to ship my harness out to them. Not going 3-4 weeks without a harness.

Just going to go get a new harness then maybe ship it out.

T

which IMO is why people should buy their harnesses from mec/rei if they are going to pay full price

instant swap

tks

Mar 23, 2011, 6:26 PM
Post #40 of 55 (2625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
csproul wrote:

I love the Misty Caddy. But, I'm not skinny at all...

chilli

Mar 23, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #41 of 55 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

currupt4130 wrote:
I have the Elite Ziplock I think it's called. It has 5 gear loops and the one in the back has come in handy more times than I can count. It's great for carrying belay devices and cordalette. It makes for a great all around harness. Maybe not the best for long days hanging on aid though. The Syncro looks like it's better suited for that.

that's the one!! i probably could have just gotten my lazy ass up to look at the harness when i made the original post (and then forgot about it) and that would've saved the guesswork. i've had it for a few years, and i agree with you on all points. it's a GREAT super-comfy all around harness. and that rear gear loop takes my belay device(s) and cordalette as well, along w/ anything miscellaneous or a big cam if i gotta lug one around. everything else goes on the four regular gear loops (plenty of room for multi-pitch rack + some). occasionally i use the little accessory loop with a 'biner through it, which is pretty handy.
i don't do big walls, so couldn't give any input there.

l3uddy789

Mar 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #42 of 55 (2587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
l3uddy789 wrote:

You're an ass.

REI destroys returned life-critical goods. REI has a fantastic return policy. Please don't take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone else who isn't a douchebag.

My bad I didn't know REI wouldn't resell the harness if it was very lightly used. I wouldn't have suggested it if I had known this.

iron106

Mar 24, 2011, 2:31 AM
Post #43 of 55 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

currupt4130 wrote:
Misty harnesses don't do it for me.

My choice, Wild Country Syncro Ziplock

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/Products/SyncroHarnesses/SyncroZiplock/

[image]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/bentgatemountaineering_2150_30435407[/image]
My buddy got this one. He loves it.

tower_climber

Mar 24, 2011, 4:05 AM
Post #44 of 55 (2556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

I'd disagree. I just was not happy with the sizing of the harnesses. I have climbed in all of their harnesses at various demo events. If a harness doesn't feel like a good fit in the first 15 minutes or so of climbing and hanging I'll look at something else.

To be fair, the harnesses I've tried may fit better given some time to break them in. But given the fact that my Singing Rock harness felt comfortable right off the bat and is still comfortable today I'll go with that.

rtwilli4

Mar 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #45 of 55 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For sure you have to go with what harness fits the best. I love Misty Mountain because they have great build quality, they are simple and low profile, and they are from my home state, NC. It's a small company that does good things and has great customer service and I like supporting them.

That said, their harnesses fit me perfectly. If they didn't, I'd have to look elsewhere. But after Petzl, Black Diamond, Madrock and Mammut... Misty harnesses fit me the best and have been the most comfy by a long shot.

justroberto

Mar 24, 2011, 1:54 PM
Post #46 of 55 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tower_climber wrote:
I actually spoke to the Misty rep about what didn't fit me on their harnesses. He hinted that they have a prototype sport harness in the works right now that might work better. We'll see.
Despite moving the gear loops on the latest Cadillac, they still don't really fit me. With a 31/32" waist, they're too far back on the medium harness. Anyone I've talked to with a smaller waist doesn't have that same problem, but it still bothers me after a year of using it, to the point that I mostly use the back loops for things I won't need to get at on lead, like belay device and anchor rigging material. It seems that simply moving the front loops forward more would solve a few problems, like actually being able to see anything you've clipped to the bottom loops.

justroberto

Mar 24, 2011, 2:09 PM
Post #47 of 55 (2511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
csproul wrote:

Misty does custom sizing for free. If you need M legs and a L waist to keep the gear loops centered then they will make that harness for you and send it to you fast at no extra charge.

I didn't know they did that, which may have been my problem, but I doubt that they'd size me as a large waist - a large might wrap around me twice!

Otherwise, that thing is super-comfy, and truck, to boot. Were I to consider buying another, I guess I'd get it sized by them, but my days in Ashevegas are pretty few and far between.

rock_fencer

Mar 24, 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #48 of 55 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Time for a new harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

did you fit into a small? I've got a similar waist, and have the same problem with my dead/bird too.

I'm definatly going to make sure that the rack sits more forward on the new purchase whatever it may be.

justroberto

Mar 24, 2011, 6:54 PM
Post #49 of 55 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
did you fit into a small? I've got a similar waist, and have the same problem with my dead/bird too.

I'm definatly going to make sure that the rack sits more forward on the new purchase whatever it may be.

Well, in order to get the gear loops where I wanted them I'd have to go up to a large, not down to a small. A buddy with a slightly larger waist than me got the large, and it works for him. I think that 31/32" is some in-between region where nothing really works well, but like rtwilli said, getting it sized by Misty would be the way to go if you're at a crossover point on their sizing chart. If you are and can't get custom sized by them, I recommend getting the larger of the two.

tower_climber

Mar 24, 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #50 of 55 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. I love Misty as a company and I buy from them whenever I can. I recommend Misty programming harnesses to all the challenge course programs I evaluate. I think their cragging packs are terrific. And their harnesses are definitely high-quality builds. They just don't fit me. It happens.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook