Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blueshrimp

Jun 19, 2013, 2:25 PM
Post #1 of 34 (14596 views)
Shortcut

Should I retire my rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bought brand new rope. When unpackaging it (this is really stupid, I know, I was extremely careless) and cutting off the tags with a small nail scissor, the blade brushed the exterior cladding making a small cut on the exterior sheath. It looked really minor so I didn't worry about it.

Went climbing with the rope and the sheath started getting fuzzy (i.e. the weave became a bit looser) near where the cut was due to friction with the rock. This small wound (it is about 3mm long, and the "unweaving" is about as long as well) does not expose the interior of the rope and this rope (Edelrid viper) has a relatively thick sheath. Still, it looks a bit ugly, or at least no longer brand new.

Should I retire/cut (and use only the good part for the gym) my brand new rope? Or can I keep using it (with caution) by perhaps patching the small fuzzy cut with a piece of tape or something (only to prevent further dethreading)?

What do you guys think? The interior was not damaged in any way, the cut was very superficial.

jp_sucks

Jun 19, 2013, 2:35 PM
Post #2 of 34 (14588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueshrimp] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Post a pic or two of the damage.

When in doubt, throw it out....

blueshrimp

Jun 19, 2013, 2:37 PM
Post #3 of 34 (14585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK I will as soon as I get home (a couple of hours). When in doubt throw it out makes sense. Still, it hurts given the rope is otherwise brand new, ha ha. Guess at least I'll still have a gym rope after I cut the bad end. I'll post a pic in a little bit.

Thx.

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #4 of 34 (14556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If its not at all damaged on the inner nylon it should be okay, but if the snag is big enough to let dirt in it probably isn't. Instead of just cutting it, consider tying an overhand loop in the rope with snag on the loop. It'll get in the way at first but after the first few annoying mistakes of trying to lead and it getting caught you'll flip the rope around.
If you snagged it in the dead center... well thats just a damn shame.

jt512

Jun 19, 2013, 5:13 PM
Post #5 of 34 (14518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChaseLeoncini] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
If its not at all damaged on the inner nylon it should be okay, but if the snag is big enough to let dirt in it probably isn't. Instead of just cutting it, consider tying an overhand loop in the rope with snag on the loop. It'll get in the way at first but after the first few annoying mistakes of trying to lead and it getting caught you'll flip the rope around.

Let me guess: you've been climbing for about six months.

iron106

Jun 19, 2013, 5:40 PM
Post #6 of 34 (14502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ChaseLeoncini wrote:

Let me guess: you've been climbing for about six months.

I'll take 6mo-1year.

blueshrimp

Jun 19, 2013, 5:41 PM
Post #7 of 34 (14499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, here are some pictures. Veredict? To me it looks like if I could just do *something* (not sure what) to stop the weave from spreading the rope should be otherwise fine. Maybe a piece of tape around it just to stop further unweaving?

sittingduck

Jun 19, 2013, 6:11 PM
Post #8 of 34 (14476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd use that rope for lead climbing if the core is intact. You could pull the fibers in with a needle.

bearbreeder

Jun 19, 2013, 6:29 PM
Post #9 of 34 (14463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yr fine ...

inspect it every now and then ...

lkeegan

Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM
Post #10 of 34 (14434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
OK, here are some pictures. Veredict? To me it looks like if I could just do *something* (not sure what) to stop the weave from spreading the rope should be otherwise fine. Maybe a piece of tape around it just to stop further unweaving?

[image]http://imageshack.us/a/img20/5387/ya4y.jpg[/image]

[image]http://imageshack.us/a/img19/990/08fh.jpg[/image]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img94/3946/8z9q.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img706/8154/ouxj.jpg[/IMG]

I melted through part of my rope (with similar amounts of damage, though mine was worse) taking a big whipper (with an ATC) and I put tape over it so the fuzzies wouldn't snag.

Since people always talk about the adhesives being bad for the rope, so I folded the tape in half so the sticky side wouldn't come into contact with the rope and taped it together that way and just every couple of months pulled off the tape and checked on it.

Now its cut in half and I have 2 gym ropes (isn't it awesome to burn through the middle marker. FUCK)

redlude97

Jun 19, 2013, 7:55 PM
Post #11 of 34 (14423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lkeegan] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lkeegan wrote:
blueshrimp wrote:

I melted through part of my rope (with similar amounts of damage, though mine was worse) taking a big whipper (with an ATC) and I put tape over it so the fuzzies wouldn't snag.

Since people always talk about the adhesives being bad for the rope, so I folded the tape in half so the sticky side wouldn't come into contact with the rope and taped it together that way and just every couple of months pulled off the tape and checked on it.

Now its cut in half and I have 2 gym ropes (isn't it awesome to burn through the middle marker. FUCK)
+1, put some tape on it if you are really worried, the adhesive doesn't matter. I've done it on a rope that took some abrasion damage from a a pendulum over an edge and its been fine

walkonyourhands

Jun 19, 2013, 9:01 PM
Post #12 of 34 (14410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:

That doesn't look like it's been done with nail scissors to me, rather like a splice from the manufactoring process or something. Are you sure, you did that?

I would definitely climb on it and have climbed on worse just earlier today without second thoughts. The first abrasion on a brand new rope always feels a bit shocking.

Why don't you just write to Edelrid for their opinion? I mean, the're even geographically quite close to you, aren't they?

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 19, 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #13 of 34 (14373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Please explain to me whats wrong with what i said? The true strength of a climbing rope is is the core nylon not the sheath. You two dumbasses are probably too pussy to climb on the smallest snags. That ropes fine. Stick with gyms, you idiots will make more friends there. If you decide to go outside and theres a snag call a chopper so you can get down off that 30' 5.9 youve been projecting.

theextremist04

Jun 20, 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #14 of 34 (14363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
Please explain to me whats wrong with what i said? The true strength of a climbing rope is is the core nylon not the sheath. You two dumbasses are probably too pussy to climb on the smallest snags. That ropes fine. Stick with gyms, you idiots will make more friends there. If you decide to go outside and theres a snag call a chopper so you can get down off that 30' 5.9 youve been projecting.
First of all, Jay probably climbs harder than you ever will, so you should probably drop the attitude. Second, I'm guessing that they were addressing your comment about putting it in an overhand. An alpine butterfly would probably be a better choice in this instance, plus that just sounds like a pain.

redlude97

Jun 20, 2013, 1:09 AM
Post #15 of 34 (14340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
Says the bro who leads 5.10b and follows 5.11a Tongue

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 20, 2013, 1:49 AM
Post #16 of 34 (14326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who gives a shit what type of knot? Tie a fuckin sheepshank i dont care i just mentioned to tie a knot to keep it outside on a loop. Dont care what kind. Also, i said it would get in the way but it is an alternative to cutting it.
Lastly, i like how a lot of people make lil fan boys that stick up for each other on forums. Extremist you are so fucking adorable i could kiss you. Blush
Maybe now he'll call.

(This post was edited by ChaseLeoncini on Jun 20, 2013, 1:52 AM)

Partner macherry

Jun 20, 2013, 1:59 AM
Post #17 of 34 (14316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
Who gives a shit what type of knot? Tie a fuckin sheepshank i dont care i just mentioned to tie a knot to keep it outside on a loop. Dont care what kind. Also, i said it would get in the way but it is an alternative to cutting it.
Lastly, i like how a lot of people make lil fan boys that stick up for each other on forums. Extremist you are so fucking adorable i could kiss you. Blush
Maybe now he'll call.

hah

jorgegonzalez

Jun 21, 2013, 5:09 AM
Post #18 of 34 (14172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck the knot. Cut the rope into two pieces at the cut. Hopefully you'll be left with two similarly sized decent ropes for top-roping. If not, use the shorter rope for pinatas. Trust me, you'll be very popular at kids' birthday parties.

Being cheap has its limits.

walkonyourhands

Jun 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #19 of 34 (14140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
Maybe now he'll call.

So, how are you going to lead on a knotted rope again?

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 21, 2013, 2:26 PM
Post #20 of 34 (14120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Personally, I'd cut the rope. . . Well not that rope. That rope is fine. If you didn't want to cut it, for any multitude of reasons (mainly rappelling) you could tie a knot. If you have to lead with it, and i said this in my original my reply, you could lead with just the longer side. Flip the rope around if you have to. The knot reaching the belayer is something to keep your eye on. Of course, you already know this. You only replied (two days later) to patronize me on the internet in hopes that others would see and be like,"Yea. Yea. You tell him. That dumby face. I like walkonyourhands." I hope they do so you can feel more accomplished. If it makes you feel any better, I mean, well, im pretty fuckin proud of you. High Five! Now send your fans for a real spin, riddle me this. Who... I ask you. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

csproul

Jun 21, 2013, 2:30 PM
Post #21 of 34 (14115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
Personally, I'd cut the rope. . . Well not that rope. That rope is fine. If you didn't want to cut it, for any multitude of reasons (mainly rappelling) you could tie a knot. If you have to lead with it, and i said this in my original my reply, you could lead with just the longer side. Flip the rope around if you have to. The knot reaching the belayer is something to keep your eye on. Of course, you already know this. You only replied (two days later) to patronize me on the internet in hopes that others would see and be like,"Yea. Yea. You tell him. That dumby face. I like walkonyourhands." I hope they do so you can feel more accomplished. If it makes you feel any better, I mean, well, im pretty fuckin proud of you. High Five! Now send your fans for a real spin, riddle me this. Who... I ask you. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
I see we have our most recent Noob doling out advice and then getting belligerent about it when everyone tells him he's wrong. Happens at least a few times a year.

marc801

Jun 21, 2013, 2:31 PM
Post #22 of 34 (14115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't post when you're drunk.

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 21, 2013, 2:43 PM
Post #23 of 34 (14107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, i'm wrong. Cut the rope.

Partner cracklover

Jun 21, 2013, 2:58 PM
Post #24 of 34 (14099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sittingduck] Should I retire my rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sittingduck wrote:
I'd use that rope for lead climbing if the core is intact. You could pull the fibers in with a needle.

+1 - get those fibers in so they don't keep snagging. Otherwise it's fine (for now). At least as far as I can see from the pic.

GO

walkonyourhands

Jun 21, 2013, 3:33 PM
Post #25 of 34 (14080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:

I like you a lot, I hope you're here to stay! And I'm glad (though surprised!) that you didn't really want to suggest leading with a knot in the "active" part of the rope.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook