RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Jordanss10

Oct 23, 2014, 3:52 PM
Post #1 of 6 (11104 views)
Shortcut

Leg Loops too loose?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

So recently I bought a harness with fixed/elastic leg loops (Petzl Sama). When I tried it on at the store and hung in it, it was comfortable and the waist belt fit well. It felt like the leg loops were a bit loose but I was told at the store the leg loops don't really need to be that tight so I went and bought it.

I'm now feeling a little skeptical after paying more attention when just trying it on again at home with the clothes I would have actually worn climbing that the back of the leg loop can slide a bit on the back of my leg and the leg loops slide up pretty high up my leg if I move my legs around or put a load on the harness (hanging/belaying).

I'm just wondering if this would be the same for all harnesses or would tighter fitting leg loops (Maybe trying out the Adjama or possibly another brand?) prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

lena_chita

Oct 23, 2014, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 6 (11094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jordanss10] Leg Loops too loose? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Jordanss10 wrote:
Hello,

So recently I bought a harness with fixed/elastic leg loops (Petzl Sama). When I tried it on at the store and hung in it, it was comfortable and the waist belt fit well. It felt like the leg loops were a bit loose but I was told at the store the leg loops don't really need to be that tight so I went and bought it.

I'm now feeling a little skeptical after paying more attention when just trying it on again at home with the clothes I would have actually worn climbing that the back of the leg loop can slide a bit on the back of my leg and the leg loops slide up pretty high up my leg if I move my legs around or put a load on the harness (hanging/belaying).

I'm just wondering if this would be the same for all harnesses or would tighter fitting leg loops (Maybe trying out the Adjama or possibly another brand?) prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Hard to say without pictures, but I agree that the leg loops don't need to be tight at all. I mean, if it is double the diameter of your leg, that's not good, obviously, but if you can slide your hand between your thigh and the leg loop, that's fine.

I am more concerned about whether the rise is too long, because if the rise is sized properly, there isn't that much room for the leg loops to slide around. Have you hung in this harness? Are you hanging upright without effort on your part, or are you tipping backwards and need to hold yourself upright?

If you are hanging upright, then don't worry so much about the leg loop size. Adjust the little elastic strips that hold the backs of your leg loops to where the loop position on your legs is comfortable, and you should be fine.

moose_droppings

Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM
Post #3 of 6 (11080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 ^^^^^^

Also,
make sure the waist belt is worn where it's supposed to be worn. It should be riding on top of your hip bones, not where your regular pants waist belt is worn.

Jordanss10

Oct 23, 2014, 8:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (11036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Leg Loops too loose? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Hard to say without pictures, but I agree that the leg loops don't need to be tight at all. I mean, if it is double the diameter of your leg, that's not good, obviously, but if you can slide your hand between your thigh and the leg loop, that's fine.

I am more concerned about whether the rise is too long, because if the rise is sized properly, there isn't that much room for the leg loops to slide around. Have you hung in this harness? Are you hanging upright without effort on your part, or are you tipping backwards and need to hold yourself upright?

If you are hanging upright, then don't worry so much about the leg loop size. Adjust the little elastic strips that hold the backs of your leg loops to where the loop position on your legs is comfortable, and you should be fine.

I just tried hanging in it again and seems like the rise is alright. When I hang the loops don't really slide, however I notice if I move my legs upward (as if I were climbing) without hanging on the rope, the leg loops slide upwards almost to the point where the can't go any higher (causing a little bit of pressure in the sensitive area..). I tried loosing the elastic strap to see if that would help but it still happens.

moose_droppings wrote:
Also,
make sure the waist belt is worn where it's supposed to be worn. It should be riding on top of your hip bones, not where your regular pants waist belt is worn.

I did thanks! :)

LifeOfPhilD

Nov 1, 2014, 4:44 AM
Post #5 of 6 (10705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey!
leg loops need to be just right, too tight and you will slow the blood flow. to loose and you could lose your nuts in a fall. yep, Im not kidding! My mate couldn't talk after a fall because his leg loops were not tight enough and it pinched his meat n two veg. check out the link if your brave, its a accident form from a loose harness incident

http://www.mnemonic.nildram.co.uk/Safety%20Bulletin%209%20Harness.pdf

id say get someone at your local wall to check it out on you.

hope its all turns out ok! let us know how it goes!

sungam

Nov 1, 2014, 9:55 PM
Post #6 of 6 (10670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LifeOfPhilD] Leg Loops too loose? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LifeOfPhilD wrote:
to loose and you could lose your nuts in a fall.
Or catching a fall. I literally thought I was going to vomit my nads got hyperdunked on so badly. "It fits, it has to fit, it's on sale!" strikes again.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook