RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

smiley

Apr 9, 2003, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1155 views)
Shortcut

Mallory's Camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What ever happened to the Everest Expedition to find Mallory's camera? Did they ever go back? Did they ever find it?

darkside

Apr 9, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1155 views)
Shortcut

Mallory's Camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Given that it was widely believed the camera holds the answer to the mystery, that nothing has been published, it seems reasonable to assume it has not yet been found. Wether any expedition was launched to find it though, I cannot say.

telluridehiker

Apr 9, 2003, 5:46 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I came across this information while doing a human geography project on the expansion of climbing and mountaineering. When you look at the timeline the information that you are looking for is under 1999. I don't think it was an intentional expedition to locate the camera and Mallory but they did find him.

1999 - George Mallory's body is found by a search expedition at 27,000 feet. Searchers had hoped to find a camera that might contain photos of Mallory and Irvine on the summit or some other proof that they were the first to summit Everest, but no evidence is found. On May 5 a team of nine made satellite observations at the summit of Everest.

On Nov. 11, the revised official elevation of Everest is announced by the National Geographic Society to be 29,035 feet (8,850 meters).

Here's the site:
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/everest-timeline1.html

petsfed

Apr 9, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, summiting the mountain was a side expedition. The expedition was paid for by the National Geographic Society with the express intention of finding Mallory and presumably his camera.

jhwnewengland

Apr 9, 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The '99 expedition that found Mallory (Conrad Anker was on it/wrote about it in The Lost Explorer) was actually looking for Irvine, based on reports that Irvine's ice axe had been found around that elevation. Since Mallory didn't have his camera, it is believed that Irvine might have it. I seem to recall another expedition more recently that searched for Irvine, but didn't find him.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook