RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Jan 5, 2009, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4285 views)
Shortcut

"Camp 4..." Finally and Again
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's an interesting bit on how events conspired to finally and officially change the name of Sunnyside Campground in Yosemite back to its original designation, Camp 4.

http://www.yosemiteclimbing.org/content/renaming-camp-4

In reply to:
For half a century Camp 4 has been the climbers’ base camp in Yosemite. Yet for most of that time, the National Park Services insisted in calling it “Sunnyside.” That difference came to symbolize the conflicts between climbers, the NPS, and the Curry Company. In 1999, the NPS acknowledged the end of decades of feuding by announcing the site’s name would once again be Camp 4. Now, an exchange of e mails between Gary Colliver of the NPS and Armando Menocal, Founder of the Access Fund, reveals how the historic change came about.

billl7

Jan 5, 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] "Camp 4..." Finally and Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for posting that, Jay. I enjoyed it.

Interested folks might consider reading "Camp 4" by Steve Roper. Not directly related as a main topic, the book still has some related material.

Regarding some of the friction between the concessionier and climbers, I vaguely recall a related section in that book. I may not be too far off on this ...

A certain concession worker was obsessive about drinking from the establishment's coffee cups. The thought of his lips touching the cup where countless others' had before was intolerable enough that he would only sip from the cup lip nearest the handle - probably figuring hardly anyone would drink that way.

Of course, some of the climbers noticed this. They would position themselves in clear view of this concession worker with their own coffe cups in hand. Then they would studiously drink from the lip area above the handle.

Cheers!

Bill L

Lazlo

Jan 5, 2009, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] "Camp 4..." Finally and Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Jay. I enjoyed it.

Interested folks might consider reading "Camp 4" by Steve Roper. Not directly related as a main topic, the book still has some related material.

Regarding some of the friction between the concessionier and climbers, I vaguely recall a related section in that book. I may not be too far off on this ...

A certain concession worker was obsessive about drinking from the establishment's coffee cups. The thought of his lips touching the cup where countless others' had before was intolerable enough that he would only sip from the cup lip nearest the handle - probably figuring hardly anyone would drink that way.

Of course, some of the climbers noticed this. They would position themselves in clear view of this concession worker with their own coffe cups in hand. Then they would studiously drink from the lip area above the handle.

Cheers!

Bill L

That's funny!

limeydave

Jan 5, 2009, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] "Camp 4..." Finally and Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good news indeed!
Funny Jay posted this today as I just finished reading Roper's Camp 4 at the weekend.

(This post was edited by limeydave on Jan 5, 2009, 9:48 PM)

milesenoell

Jan 14, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] "Camp 4..." Finally and Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I can't believe you would climb in an area with such a sensitive pictograph. We owe it to future generations to preserve such priceless works of art.

limeydave

Jan 14, 2009, 2:19 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] "Camp 4..." Finally and Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Dude, I can't believe you would climb in an area with such a sensitive pictograph. We owe it to future generations to preserve such priceless works of art.

Unlike others, I didn't smear my feet all over an ancient (that one is pretty new by the looks of things) icon.

I also didn't put my feet on anything higher than what is in that picture on Midnight Lightning! Haha, yeah I suck, but it was a memory....

majid_sabet

Jan 14, 2009, 3:48 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] "Camp 4..." Finally and Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

one night, this dude was singing a song for us in C4

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook