RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

noshift

Apr 25, 2009, 4:34 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Parapalegic climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with belaying of somehow helping a parapalegic "climb" a wall. i am leading a trip with a parapalegic climber in about a week. got any suggestions?

esoteric1

Apr 25, 2009, 4:48 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noshift] Parapalegic climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can get you in touch with the quadrapalegic climber that climbed el cap, since his injury was so high on the chord, he managed to develop a tool he was able to climb the rope with, it all depends on where his injury is, and how much mobility he has.

noshift

Apr 25, 2009, 4:52 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esoteric1] Parapalegic climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you could that would be great. this person is confined to a wheel chair and has no function of his legs at all.

maldaly

Apr 25, 2009, 5:03 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey noshift,
Give me a call. That what we do at Paradox Sports. Check out our website at www.paradoxsports.org. Last summer we completed an all-gimp ascent and descent of the Bastille with three amputees and a para. Vijay, our para is a complete T-5. Be sure to check out the pics in the website gallery.

We have the gear you can borrow, too. Call soon. If you're going to climb outside you'll need chaps and ours are up in Breckenridge. It'll take a couple of days to get them down here.
Some fun pics of Vijay at the Red River Gorge:

Mal
303/909-6067

Terry2124

Apr 25, 2009, 5:07 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Parapalegic climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
Hey noshift,
Give me a call. That what we do at Paradox Sports. Check out our website at www.paradoxsports.org. Last summer we completed an all-gimp ascent and descent of the Bastille with three amputees and a para. Vijay, our para is a complete T-5. Be sure to check out the pics in the website gallery.

We have the gear you can borrow, too. Call soon. If you're going to climb outside you'll need chaps and ours are up in Breckenridge. It'll take a couple of days to get them down here.

[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/maldaly/ParadoxRocktober/DSC_8276.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/maldaly/ParadoxRocktober/DSC_8267.jpg[/IMG]

Mal
303/909-6067

Its good to see people move forward like this.

cush

Apr 25, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esoteric1 wrote:
I can get you in touch with the quadrapalegic climber that climbed el cap, since his injury was so high on the chord, he managed to develop a tool he was able to climb the rope with, it all depends on where his injury is, and how much mobility he has.

i remember seeing the same thing. he seconded each pitch and went the entire way up el cap doing pull ups. it must have been some sort of a two handed ascender.

areyoumydude

Apr 25, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] Parapalegic climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Timmy O'Neill has taken his parapalegic brother up El Cap.

http://timmyoneill.com/zodiac.html

irregularpanda

Apr 25, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Parapalegic climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:

Mal
303/909-6067

And it's even better to see people rally to help out the community.

I worked with a quad yesterday, so I have 2 pieces of advice, that I learned from him.

1) go to this website, ask them in their forums.
http://thequadlink.iwonpages.com/
2) call him and ask him. Nobody knows more about the functional aspect of their disability than the actual disabled person.
Ask him detailed questions, and be upfront, honest, and receptive. He'll probably be able to help you know what to expect more than anybody else.

edited to add. I can't post links anymore: durr

(This post was edited by irregularpanda on Apr 25, 2009, 9:05 PM)

Partner xtrmecat

Apr 25, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is also a man Name of Steve Museman, that did Zodiac, ElCap last spring. I lost his contact info but he is a wealth of info on the subject, front to back.
He is also one heck of a great guy. I'm sure with a little searching on the topic on Supertopo. He signs in as museman, and climbs with T2 occasionally. Good luck, and good on you. Mal, good on you too.
Bob

esoteric1

Apr 26, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Parapalegic climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

steve is the guy I know, and can get his phone number if you are still interested. after getting in touch with mal it seems a mute point, but the offer still stands, hes a great guy.
my best friend snapped his neck late last year, and they met in some recovery place, talk about something that spins your world, its awesome to see all the people come together in support of these guys that simply wont take no for an answer. it humbles me

noshift

Apr 26, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i appreciate all the help guys. i helped one out yesterday and still got another to go. it worked out pretty good. but i will get in contact with you guys as soon as i know more of what is going on. and again thanks for all the help.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook