RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

Brhino90

Jun 18, 2009, 4:27 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1016 views)
Shortcut

What should I expect?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to Tulsa tomorrow morning to the Jenks aquarium for a college class field trip with a friend of mine. After we do that we planned on heading to the gym there. I've seen pictures, but never been inside. I haven't pulled any plastic for a good number of years, and since I got back into climbing I've been climbing outdoors. So, really what I'm curious about is how much different it's going to be. I understand that the holds will all be much different and all of the other common sense things, but I'd really like to know if it takes a different type of technique to it. I personally think that it will be easier only because all of my holds will be marked and well visible, where as climbing outdoors the only real set holds are the beginning and ending holds and a few in the middle. GO!

a-e-jones

Jun 18, 2009, 4:37 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Brhino90] What should I expect? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

your gonna get spanked by the red climb in the corner

bill413

Jun 18, 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] What should I expect? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a-e-jones wrote:
your gonna get spanked by the red climb in the corner
Too true - it's a beast!!

Depending on the types of routes you climb outdoors, gym climbing can be more vertical. I find that when I transition from the gym to outdoors, I've a tendency to overuse my arms & underuse my legs.

Brhino90

Jun 18, 2009, 4:44 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] What should I expect? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm told that gym ratings are a little softer...just for an example. If I climb a 5.9 outdoors I can easily climb a 5.10 in a gym. Don't bash too hard on this theory for I'm not positive if it's true but would like to clear that up so I'll kind of know what I'll want to be climbing on tomorrow

asellers98

Jun 18, 2009, 6:24 AM
Post #5 of 5 (975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Brhino90] What should I expect? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really, the rating is dependant upon how good the route setter is at mimicing the outdoors.

The grades really fluctuate for the areas outdoors too, based on this same problem. In general I find the biggest discrepency bouldering indoors vs outdoors. That is because the V scale can incorporate more than one grade.

Climb for fun, but watch out for holds that will put your joints in danger. Sometimes it is a matter of what can we humanly do vs what we should really do in routesetting. Sure you can hold that for a second, but if you combine it with that hold, you are going to tweak ____.

Climb easier stuff and focus on good body positioning, and if you climb the routes with style and have fun, that is all that really matters.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook