RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

radarcarve

May 4, 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #1 of 2 (4509 views)
Shortcut

Famous partners, first ascents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I read some of the thread on "Who is the most famous person you ever climbed with", or thereabouts. I did not reply with my own stories, for there are 185 posts! I was fascinated with what I read. It occured to me to ask a different question... What are your notable first ascents? Now, I think any first is notable... and worth remembering. I have 85 firsts myself, but then I grew up in the golden age... I started climbing in 1967, in the Organ Mountains of Southern New Mexico. Climbed with Fred Becky on a number of firsts... Horse Creek Tower, several new Dome routes in Kernville, California, Bubb's Creek Wall (1st attempt) in Kings Canyon, and even did the Chouinard Herbert route with Fred. Climbed a new route in the Organs (NM) with Chuck Pratt in 1970, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what we called it. Mostly, I remember partying with Chuck and friends. Bouldered with Robbins, but of course, that does not count. I guess my best first was the Tooth Decay on the Tooth in the Organs... took 3 tries! Jeez... I guess I should dig out some old pictures.

sungam

May 4, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 2 (4447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [radarcarve] Famous partners, first ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

radarcarve wrote:
I guess I should dig out some old pictures.
Pictures are great, but old pics of first ascents are excellent Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook