Premier Sponsor:

deleted
Deleted

May 10, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2331 views)
Shortcut

crazy aid man bob
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

bvb

May 10, 2003, 3:11 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2331 views)
Shortcut

Re: crazy aid man bob [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hung with Bob a time or two. What exactly do you want to know about him? He was a character (like the rest of us), somehow totally grounded and completely unhinged at the same time, and yes he did practice some unusual aid techniques. After his Valley thing, he moved to San Diego around the late 80's or so and got a full time job doing I can't remember what. That was the last time I saw him -- in a grocery store in Pacific Beach. We tried to talk him into coming out to do some cragging with us, but he was in semi-retirement, working, living out of his car, and not climbing at all for the moment. Where he is now and what he's up too, I don't know.

elcapbuzz

May 10, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Pinscar,

I remember him...... Just kidding. I've talked to a bunch of Valley locals who do remember him, though.

Chongo said he got thrown in Jail and when they released him, his pet rattlesnakes were all dead. He said he kinda went over the edge after that.

Cheers, Ammon

kalcario

May 10, 2003, 4:04 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vaguely. I remember he soloed Leaning Tower in a day with a ten foot piece of rope (!). Also he was in the mags a few years ago for doing some month-long solo epic on Denali.

rockitjeff

Jun 18, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i recall bob shoenard fairly well... . . back then, we did not know how capable/ insane he would prove to be on hard aid, but even in the early days he was all about aid ..and maybe clueless about free climbs (late 70's? he was nudging erik erikson and pointing up at oz and gram traverse and saying "erik... look at those great aid lines" "uh bob? those go free at 5.10, 5.11"

yet days later i recall him doing a first ascent.. a multi- pitch free climb! on the wall to the left of hobbit book... waylyn dwalyn (sp?)... must have been 5.10 ish... forget what the guidebook sez..

but what i want to know.. in those days he DID wear shoenards.. is THAT where he obviously got his name?

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook