RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

overlord

Jun 12, 2003, 9:17 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

could this be true
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have just read in a magazine (they were doing a special coverage on everest) that slovenians are the only nation to have summited Everest via all three great ridges (the soutnh, west and northeast).

this data could be old, so what im askig: is there any other nation that pulled that off.

also we have the first married cupple on the top (i think itwas prezelj and his wife).

damn statistics. this is starting to look like some king of guiness record book. anyway, this is TRIVIA and if someone has any info, post.

jurch

Jun 13, 2003, 10:45 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Re: could this be true [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, we are the best, hehe... someone's gonna get sick of us :)

and yes, we have all three ridges, the first marriage couple on the summit (Andrej + Marija Stremfelj), and the first non-stop ski descent from the summit to the base by Davo Karnicar (has anyone seen the video of him skiing the icefall? - about 70-80 degree slope... speechless :)

btw - if you read that in polet, it's probably new data, kozjek wrote it...

vertical_planar

Jun 13, 2003, 1:04 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know it is true. You are damn good alpine climbers you slovenians:)
Recently a greek climbing magazine had an article about the slovenian scene. Pretty amazing stuff.

Is rock climbing as popular and as advanced as mountaineering in your country?
Just wondering...

leapfrog

Jun 13, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... What about those Sherpas? I heard one guy has something like 37 summits? I can't remember where I originally read this and the number is probably wrong. Anyone else heard about this? But maybe those summits didn't cover all ridges.

jurch

Jun 17, 2003, 10:38 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

forgot to mention before...

the thing about the ridges is almost definetly true, because the west ridge direct (slovenian route) has been repeated only once since 1979 (some bulgarians, i think)... i don't think that american west ridge counts as true west ridge, obviously not...

and leapfrog... i believe one sherpa has 12 summits, i think his name is apa sherpa... 37 is a bit too much, isn't it :)?

boesgaard

Jun 17, 2003, 10:56 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ang Rita Sherpa it is.....as far as I remember...

overlord

Jun 17, 2003, 12:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yes, we are the best, hehe... someone's gonna get sick of us :)

and yes, we have all three ridges, the first marriage couple on the summit (Andrej + Marija Stremfelj), and the first non-stop ski descent from the summit to the base by Davo Karnicar (has anyone seen the video of him skiing the icefall? - about 70-80 degree slope... speechless :)

btw - if you read that in polet, it's probably new data, kozjek wrote it...

ok, i wasnt really sore wether it was stremfelj or prezelj. my mistake.

yes, i read that in polet. and i know its new data, because i hadnt seen that tidbit befor, and i have read all issues of Grif (got the old ones in the library). i think they would have mentioned it...

vertical_planar: yes, rock climbing is pretty advanced in SLO, but its not as world top class as it should be. wait for a few years though. we have a new 9a called sanjski par extension (or complete, depend on heo you look at it). FA was by Perko, secon by Mrazek a few months later, who confirmed the grade (he WAS projecting it for about 4 months, only missed the FA by a little), so it should be pretty solid, especially if you take into account that sanjski par original grade is 8c and the extension is quite a bit f**ked up. we also have one or two 8c+/9a, some 8c+... some of the climbers are just coming itno top form, so expect to hear more...

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook