RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

pehperboy

Aug 24, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #1 of 1 (764 views)
Shortcut

What became of Earl Denman?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Having just read Alone to Everest by Canadian-born Earl Denman, I'm really curious about what became of him. Does anyone know if he's still alive?
It seems that after returning from Everest in '48 he settled in either South Africa or Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). I know he edited an African wildlife journal but that's where the trail ends. Google revealed nothing but the book and his association with Tenzing Norgay on their '48 climb of Everest when they got to 23,500 feet.
He was, some would say, eccentric. Much of the book focuses on his success in being the first to summit all eight Virunga mountains in Africa in 1947, much of which he did barefoot.
The section about Everest is really interesting. He, Tenzing and Ang Dowa entered Tibet illegally and got to base camp with two tents Denman himself made in Africa, inadequate sleeping bags, minimal food and minimal climbing equipment. Denman in the book admits that although he failed to summit, it was still a great feat to get as far as they did with what they had.
Would appreciate any information to satisfy my curiosity. If you don't want to post it, please PM me.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook