RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

healey

Sep 27, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #1 of 3 (5780 views)
Shortcut

Randall Jett
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all. First, a disclaimer: I am not a climber. I joined this forum to see if I could find out what happened to an old friend, Randall Jett. He and I worked on several projects together. When corresponding recently with another of our team his name came up. I did a web search and saw a post (don't remember which forum) that said that he had died sometime in early 2010.

He and Matt Samet had co-authored a couple of climbing books about New Mexico. I was unable to find a current phone number or email for Mr. Samet (whom I do not know).

If anyone knows the detail of what happened to Randall or could refer me to some information I'd appreciate it very much. Send me a PM if that works best for you. I'll monitor this thread for a couple of weeks and see what develops.

Thank you.

Healey in Oregon

goyo46

Oct 13, 2012, 3:56 AM
Post #2 of 3 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healey] Randall Jett [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Healy, I knew Randall well. I met him in New Mexico while I was teaching at UNM. We were both jazz players, rock climbers, mt. bikers, and he got me hooked on soaring. Definitely kindred spirits.
Randall suffered from depression that got continually worse. He believed it was the result of the lightning strike he survived in Eldorado canyon, that killed his partner.
Randall's life began to fall apart around 2006. He stayed with me in Tucson for about three weeks over Christmas after he left Albuquerque. His life had lost purpose and he could not find relief. I did what I could but after 3 weeks I had to ask him to leave. He returned to his family in Illinois, perhaps not the best environment for someone so connected to the mountains. I tried to look him up once in a while but with no info my efforts were futile. Then while on tour with a musical group I searched his name yet again and found his obituary and a police report detailing his apparent suicide.
I miss him terribly and still feel a little guilty that I couldn't help him more. I'm a little angry as well, that I can't share my accomplishments with him, and tell him how much he inspired me. Perhaps this post is a bit of therapy for me. I'm in S. Illinois right now, and thinking of him led me searching and to your post. I hope it helps fill in the blanks for you.
Sincerely,
Greg Armstrong

healey

Oct 13, 2012, 6:45 AM
Post #3 of 3 (5555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [goyo46] Randall Jett [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Greg. This is sobering information. I didn't know that he took his own life. We had talked about his lightning episode when he was here in Oregon one year. It seems to have been more traumatic as time marched on. He was such a nice guy; talented in multiple fields and a logical thinker. I knew of his many hobbies but I did not know him through those; we were co-workers for several years - same company, different sites.

I understand your angst but I don't think you can take any personal responsibility. It sounds like you did all that a friend could do up to and including both emotional and material support. Good friends are not all that rare but great friends are harder to find. I'd say you were one of the greatest friends that he could have had. For what it's worth, you have my thanks.

God bless,

Healey

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook