Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
2008 Ouray Ice Festival
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

geogoddess

Jan 10, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #426 of 449 (8772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattb1921] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mattb1921 wrote:
geogoddess wrote:
So a girlfriend is leaning on me to come down with her and her bf. If I can work out the transportation (mostly need a ride back to SLC) and now I need a place to crash, since I cancelled my room, silly me Crazy. ice wench.

Have fun at buen tempo, slurp down a margarita for me!

I have a friend coming in from Salt Lake who is going to head back on Sunday. He said he could take you home.

Really? Would you mind PMing me with your or his contact info? That would help alot. I would need to call him today, if he isn't on the road already.

-the (rookie) ice wench

how's everyone's hangovers, today Cool

geogoddess

Jan 11, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #427 of 449 (8759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WHOOO!!!

The Geo-Goddess is on her way!!

I succumbed to friendly persuasion and will be driving down tonite. See you all for party time friday pm!! I have Easy Ice Women's clinic early (9 am) Sat am. Reo has my contact info, you can bribe him for it. WHOOO!!

mattb1921, buddy, I'll be needing that ride back to SLC on Sunday.... see your PMs.

redpointron

Jan 11, 2008, 2:21 AM
Post #428 of 449 (8746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

glad everyone is making into town. just had a good dinner with reno, sharpie, reese, robbie, jandalsgirl, and marcy....playing games and chilling around the wood stove now...

be in the park tomorrow.

lisap

Jan 11, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #429 of 449 (8743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpointron] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Finally here! Tim, sorry I didnt get your PM in time. We ended up renting a car and driving through the night. Had a great time in the park today, saw some familiar faces and are heading to the BW to get some time in the hot springs.

carabiner96

Jan 11, 2008, 4:30 AM
Post #430 of 449 (8738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
steamboatclimber wrote:
Anyone planning on climbing in the park on friday morning? I would be up for some AM ice and to see some of you guys again, it's been a while, and it's always fun to meet new people.

Well, YEAH!

Come by the hotel. Best Western, room 123.

Or, if you're in town already and get this in the next hour, meet us at Buen Tempo, as it's Wednesday Taco Night!

You bring your better half, too, m'kay?

saweet! i got his room number!

Partner angry

Jan 12, 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #431 of 449 (8700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm back home, skipping the festival festivities.

Ankine, Reno, Redpointron, btreanor, kirra, sharpie, dan, reese. It was great meeting you all, 8 days of climbing have done me in.

It took me half an hour to clear the 2 feet of snow from the top of my truck this morning.

reno

Jan 12, 2008, 4:28 AM
Post #432 of 449 (8684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I'm back home, skipping the festival festivities.

Ankine, Reno, Redpointron, btreanor, kirra, sharpie, dan, reese. It was great meeting you all, 8 days of climbing have done me in.

T'was our collective pleasure, Angry. We ought to do it again. Same time next year, roughly.

In reply to:
It took me half an hour to clear the 2 feet of snow from the top of my truck this morning.

I don't want to think about that just yet. My poor car has never seen snow EVER, let alone this much.

Got to meet the Geogoddess today, briefly, before heading to the Community Center for the Friday Night enchilada dinner and beer drinking fest. Oh, dear mercy, I think I drank MORE beer than the $15 cover charge paid for. Gonna hurt tomorrow.

Today was as fine a day in the park as possible. Up early, and as a group we dropped three lines just past the upper bridge, on "Pick of the Vic", "Tangled Up in Blue," and another steep and long line that I can't name.

Each of 'em are all of 50 meters, if not more, and right up in your face from the start.

More tomorrow. Such a good time.

Partner angry

Jan 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #433 of 449 (8662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was doing those routes a day before you. The standard practice in the area (not sure of the exact route names) is to lower down until you're close the river, get a stick, and start climbing for TR, not sure if it's possible to lead some of them due to location. The final 10-15 feet is overhanging rock and the river isn't frozen.

I talked to a guy that was wet up to his armpits because of this. I thought about it while I was being lowered and realized the torture this guy went through.

I've recreated the dialogue that must have ensued.

Climber: That's far enough, stop now.
Belayer: (hears nothing)
Climber: Wait, no! Stop!
Climber: Take!!! (while kicking in the air)
Climber: Stop goddamn it!! (while being lowered very slowly into the river, James Bond villian style)

Finally the climber is standing in the bottom of the stream, up to his armpits trying to scramble up some broken pieces of ice to get started and get out of the canyon. This is made even sweeter with the 100+ feet of bulgy vertical and chandaliered ice he HAS to climb to get out of the canyon.

Damn, I laugh so hard I cry when I think of the poor climber being helplessly dipped into the river. Still glad it didn't happen to me.

reese_7

Jan 13, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #434 of 449 (8606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This has been an awesome trip. I'm so disappointed that I'm waiting for my ride to the airport (thanks tim)and then leaving Ouray.

I can't wait for the next fest!

dbattin

Jan 14, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #435 of 449 (8560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my God that was a fun time!

nomadguide

Jan 14, 2008, 8:05 PM
Post #436 of 449 (8532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno,
Sorry I didn't get by to visit. We had a blast. The pass was interesting. Got through Red Mountain Pass early Friday morning. Had a little disagreement with a big ass block of ice and the ice won. Good times though. It knocked a tooth loose and I had a few small cuts. My nose got an ass kicking too. Man what fun. My jaw still feels like I did a face plant on the concrete. Ended up winning a nice Arctryx pack at the auction. The beer took over and I just kept biding. Keep my email. We get up there once or twice a month in the winter. Would love to have you come up and climb with us.
Jim

geogoddess

Jan 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #437 of 449 (8510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I was doing those routes a day before you. The standard practice in the area (not sure of the exact route names) is to lower down until you're close the river, get a stick, and start climbing for TR, not sure if it's possible to lead some of them due to location. The final 10-15 feet is overhanging rock and the river isn't frozen.

I talked to a guy that was wet up to his armpits because of this. I thought about it while I was being lowered and realized the torture this guy went through.

I've recreated the dialogue that must have ensued.

Climber: That's far enough, stop now.
Climber: Wait, no! Stop!
Climber: Take!!! (while kicking in the air)
Climber: Stop goddamn it!! (while being lowered very slowly into the river, James Bond villian style)

Finally the climber is standing in the bottom of the stream, up to his armpits trying to scramble up some broken pieces of ice to get started and get out of the canyon. This is made even sweeter with the 100+ feet of bulgy vertical and chandaliered ice he HAS to climb to get out of the canyon.

Damn, I laugh so hard I cry when I think of the poor climber being helplessly dipped into the river. Still glad it didn't happen to me.

You're a sick puppy!

sorry we didn't get to meet, angry. I did meet redpointron (nice hat, dude) reno, sharpie, reese, mattb1921 (thanks for hooking up the ride back home to slc, matt) and a bunch of new friends.

I did my 1st ice climbs evah!! A friend coached me up a TR in New Frontiers, then I had a Easy Ice for Women Clinic with Kitty Calhoun, chatting away with her southern accent as she stepped up the ice.

We watched the comps on Saturday- what a sick route! Totally fun watching the climbers put it all out there.

I seriously never thought ice was for me, but I'm stoked enough that I'm looking into coming back for "Chicks With Picks". The set up at Ouray is amazing. See you all next year, for sure!!

durangoclimber

Jan 14, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #438 of 449 (8505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Total shot in the dark but I gotta try. We stayed in the Best Western. Met a few guys in room 222 and climbed with them all weekend. Matt, Dan, and Chris. Never got their info but wanted to contact them. Matt was from SLC and Dan was from France. If anyone knows them and can give them my email address I would be grateful.
Jim
durangoclimber@yahoo.com

reno

Jan 15, 2008, 1:59 AM
Post #439 of 449 (8481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Home. Phoenix. Shit.

Want to go back.

More fun than one man should be allowed to have.

More to follow in the trip report forum, once I get some food in my belly, my gear unpacked, and some sleep.

Thank you, everyone, for helping make '08 a great festival. It wouldn't be the same without friends.

In reply to:
Ended up winning a nice Arctryx pack at the auction. The beer took over and I just kept biding.

Yeah, been there, done that. Guess who won that crampon painting at the auction for $400?

(This post was edited by reno on Jan 15, 2008, 4:35 AM)

mattb1921

Jan 15, 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #440 of 449 (8464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
You're a sick puppy!

sorry we didn't get to meet, angry. I did meet redpointron (nice hat, dude) reno, sharpie, reese, mattb1921 (thanks for hooking up the ride back home to slc, matt) and a bunch of new friends.

I did my 1st ice climbs evah!! A friend coached me up a TR in New Frontiers, then I had a Easy Ice for Women Clinic with Kitty Calhoun, chatting away with her southern accent as she stepped up the ice.

We watched the comps on Saturday- what a sick route! Totally fun watching the climbers put it all out there.

I seriously never thought ice was for me, but I'm stoked enough that I'm looking into coming back for "Chicks With Picks". The set up at Ouray is amazing. See you all next year, for sure!!

Hey no problem. I hope you were not scared too much from Peter's driving. It was fun to put some faces to names. If anyone wants to head up to the Ouray area just hit me up. I am up there for much of the winter.

Matt

geogoddess

Jan 15, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #441 of 449 (8429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattb1921] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mattb1921 wrote:
geogoddess wrote:
You're a sick puppy!

Hey no problem. I hope you were not scared too much from Peter's driving. It was fun to put some faces to names. If anyone wants to head up to the Ouray area just hit me up. I am up there for much of the winter.

Matt

Nah... I think he waited 'til I fell asleep to do any real speeding Tongue

I'll pass your contact info to the guy that was at breakfast with us, who lives in New Mexico, if you guys want to connect. Enjoy the winter!

durangoclimber

Jan 15, 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #442 of 449 (8415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah ??? Wanna trade a pack for a painting?

mattb1921

Jan 15, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #443 of 449 (8395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be great. I always have a hard time getting anyone to go to Wolf Creek with me. Thanks

reno

Jan 15, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #444 of 449 (8387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

durangoclimber wrote:
Yeah ??? Wanna trade a pack for a painting?

No chance in hell. Tongue

Sorry, bro, but that painting is going up on the wall next to the painting of "Stone Free" that I bought last year.

(This post was edited by reno on Jan 15, 2008, 8:14 PM)

durangoclimber

Jan 15, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #445 of 449 (8367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bummer. I damn sure didn't need another pack. I have too many as is. Besides I love my spectra andanista too much to use the new one. Thought I'd try though. Great painting.

reese_7

Jan 16, 2008, 5:08 AM
Post #446 of 449 (8323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Geo,

I'm glad to hear you had a great time at the fest! I wish I got to hang out with you a bit more... I guess we will have to take care of that next year!

Congratulations on doing your first ice route! I must admit once you try it, you get hooked! It's not only the sport, but the people and the atmosphere. I am always impressed by the graciousness of people at the fest, I couldn't ask for better climbing partners. Too bad you didn't get to meet redpointron, he is a stand up fella! And the town of Ouray sure knows how to make climbers happy, food, beer, and hot tubs!

see ya next year!

geogoddess

Jan 16, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #447 of 449 (8313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reese_7] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reese_7 wrote:
Hey Geo,

I'm glad to hear you had a great time at the fest! I wish I got to hang out with you a bit more... I guess we will have to take care of that next year!

Congratulations on doing your first ice route! I must admit once you try it, you get hooked! It's not only the sport, but the people and the atmosphere. I am always impressed by the graciousness of people at the fest, I couldn't ask for better climbing partners. Too bad you didn't get to meet redpointron, he is a stand up fella! And the town of Ouray sure knows how to make climbers happy, food, beer, and hot tubs!

see ya next year!

thanks girlfriend, maybe next year we can climb together, if I get my skills going. I definitely plan on getting out again... maybe tomorrow, in fact.

I did meet redpointron, he was wearing a dandy hat!

redpointron

Jan 16, 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #448 of 449 (8282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
I did meet redpointron, he was wearing a dandy hat!

was he one of these morons?Wink

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...apsed;guest=25333435

timstich

Jan 16, 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #449 of 449 (8275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpointron] 2008 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad you guys had a good time in Ouray. We climbed some ice last night again after work. T'was sweet. I'll be looking for that TR, Reno. Heard you in particular had a good time. You betcha.

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook