Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sp00ki

Jun 16, 2011, 4:46 AM
Post #26 of 33 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
sp00ki wrote:
...i like BD White Gold above the rest. Their socks are made by a different Chinese sweatshop now than they used to be, and are completely unusable.The loose stuff is still great, though.

Which chalk sock would you recommend?
One that isn't the consistency of a baseball. They pack it so tight it never breaks in. I'm literally using the same ball for a month now, it's still like a rock. I'm pretty sure there's a solid ball of chalk inside...

At any rate, it's unusable. I had to return a container of them.

sp00ki

Jun 16, 2011, 4:48 AM
Post #27 of 33 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
EASILY my favorite I've ever used: Organic Chalk.

Highly effective, doesn't disppear the second you put it on. It will take a lot to change my opinion on this.
What about a letter explaining that they source their chalk from the same chalk factory all the other chalk re-sellers do?

squierbypetzl

Jun 16, 2011, 8:25 AM
Post #28 of 33 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Highly effective, doesn't disppear the second you put it on. It will take a lot to change my opinion on this.
What about a letter explaining that they source their chalk from the same chalk factory all the other chalk re-sellers do?

Don't waste your time. It's the same thing with Toshiba/Vaio/Apple computers: made at the same location but people just don't want to listen.

billcoe_

Jul 1, 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #29 of 33 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Anyone else use it to powder your genitals when they get all sweaty....

I keep seeing people start out climbing with a pair of shoes and a chalk bag. They get on easy climbs and slather the crap everywhere. Leave the chalk at home till you really need it is my thought.

Someday, they will be talking about the health issues (cancers, emphysema, etc etc) that breathing chalk causes. Until then, don't use it and you'll live longer.

Mark the words and reflect on this when you are in the cancer ward hooked to an O2 hose trying to breath.

TheWolf

Jul 2, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #30 of 33 (1764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dope Grip from Dope Miller Equipment. It is a liquid paste style. Keeps hands dry and at the end of the day your hands are in good shape. Drys moisture but not the skin itself. In expensive too. Only mail order through their site as farp as i know. I see they also have a super fine powder too that they offer.

Nipple

Jul 2, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #31 of 33 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
healyje wrote:
The bottom line is only 2.8% of the population suffers from honest-to-god over sweating (Hyperhidrosis). Chalk in the end is helpful - but primarily as collective climb-by-the-dot marker - it's adhesion utility is limited though once holds are glazed over with the stuff it becomes a pretty self-fulfilling affair.

If you're one of the poor souls actually afflicted with Hyperhidrosis you can get on ebay and get a tube of 'Dehydral' (Methenamine) cream from Canada off ebay.

Otherwise, outside, you really don't need the stuff but a small fraction of the time you think you do - the rest is all addiction and comfort.
Why is it always someone who lives in one of the drier states who says things like this? I used a lot less chalk when I lived in the west. Now that I'm in the Southeast, I use a lot more.

They type of chalk doesn't matter, as long as it's not the bunk super chalk that metolius tried to sell last summer. Shame on those butt wipes for selling that shit, it was wrong, and I will never buy from them again. If they send me a personal apology for putting powdered milk in a sack and sending me into the mountains to suffer, I will entertain the thought of buying from them again. For now, banz the Metolius bastards!!!

Khoi

Jul 3, 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #32 of 33 (1748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
healyje wrote:
The bottom line is only 2.8% of the population suffers from honest-to-god over sweating (Hyperhidrosis).
I actually have completely the opposite problem: I have dry skin. I need very little to no chalk in more humid climate (say climbing at the Red), but I absolutely cannot grip anything on a cold dry day (I basically try not to climb outside in the colder months since I live in CO where everybody is talking about perfect sending temp.) About the only thing that helps me is wet my hands (and/or sandpaper the skin) a little and put on some chalk. Even then it doesn't last that long.

For me chalk gives me some texture on my skin (wetting or sanding the skin helps it stick better), so I tend not to get Metolius chalk that has drying agent (eco chalk is pretty useless for me since it's too fine).

I, too, am in a similar boat. I am "lucky" enough to have genes that make it so that I do not sweat much, especially my hands! On top of that, my sweat seems to evaporate and dry off very quickly.

As a kid in gym, I always thought that gymnists' chalk was for decreasing friction so that one's hands doesn't stick to the rings/bars because that's how it worked for me!

When I did my first multipitch, my hands got so dry, and therefore lacking in friction, that I dipped them in the first puddle I could find.

I do climb with a chalkbag just in case, but I use it so infrequently that a chalkbag lasts years for me.

squierbypetzl wrote:
sp00ki wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Don't waste your time. It's the same thing with Toshiba/Vaio/Apple computers: made at the same location but people just don't want to listen.

On that note, aren't almost all climbing shoes made by Mad Rock?

And except for Black Diamond, who now have their own hot forging machines, and, the few biners that Wild Country has made for them in China, aren't all hot forged climbing hardware made by DMM?

essay

Jul 3, 2011, 3:19 AM
Post #33 of 33 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] what do people prefer:Chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, most shitty shoes are probably made by mad rock. That explains alot. Or evolve. Does it matter who makes the shitty shoes? They suck and destroy the rock.

(This post was edited by essay on Jul 3, 2011, 4:09 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook